Low ect and eot? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low ect and eot?

Old 01-13-2018, 10:09 AM
New User

kcjohnson78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Low ect and eot?

Finally am able to see EOT on my 04 6.0 Ex. Iím disappointed in the edge cts and edge tech support as the cts will not show eot. Was told that it wonít monitor eot then see a ton of guys on here monitoring eot no problem? So for 40 bucks I bought a WiFi obd2 and got the app obd fusion and it has eot.

Anyway, itís been cold here in Kansas City but ran around yesterday for about 30-40 minutes and my eot was about 176-178 and ect was 169 to 172 once warm. Delta was never more than 8 degrees. Are these temps too low? I have only had the truck 3 weeks. My first fill up I averaged right at 13mpg hand calculated. That was all City driving.

I bought a new 190 degree t-stat just donít know if it really needs replaced. The truck runs perfect, oil and fuel pressures are good, egt is good, ficm voltage is perfect.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:43 AM
Proud Sheepdog

Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
Sounds most likely to be thermostat. Others are finding the same problem in this global warming winter we are experiencing.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Senior User

Chevota_72 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You could try blocking off part of the radiator with a piece of cardboard (free) or purchase a winter front ($$$) and try that. The fan is spinning at a pretty good clip even if the clutch isn't locked up. If you still have trouble maintaining temp then a thermostat is in order.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:19 PM
Senior User

SmackDaddy is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 6.0 runs about 198 ECT/198 EOT even when it’s 24 degrees outside. Your thermostat may have some trash keeping it from closing so the coolant can’t cool the motor and warm up. If your temps are true that’s borderline engine operating temperature. How cold has it been when you are driving and getting these temperatures?
Old 01-13-2018, 03:45 PM
Post Fiend

Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
The FIA cold weather front works great. Your t-stat is likely not closing, but if you are just driving around stop and go type traffic the 6L won't work hard enough to warm up either.. If you have both front and rear heat on high it will also let engine run cooler.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:52 PM
New User

kcjohnson78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It was 17 degrees outside when I read those temps. However I have seen coolant not rise over about 178 at the highest. I have not done a Long highway trip yet, nothing over about 15 minutes at 70 mph. I need to make a long trip I guess and see what happens. We have a family trip in late February where I will have an 11 hour drive. Want to make sure I have everything squared away before then.