2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Heated Steering Wheel Didn't Know I had

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 03:06 PM
SGMJohn
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. Lariat value package. I thought this was about people with the value package since it is already on the Ultimate package. I have the Icon but no heated steering wheel so maybe it doesn't give heat even with the Icon. Maybe, also it may only be added for latter built models. Mine was built on January 29, 2017.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:12 PM
FSRBIKER
Junior User
Haven't looked myself but it's possible there is a separate fuse for the heated steering wheel, might want to check that out before throwing in the towel.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:24 PM
SGMJohn
Junior User
Thanks, I'll look into that. I was hoping the members that have had success would have chimed in. My thoughts from looking at the pictures some have posted is the square in the bottom right means the heat is on and no square means no heat. I have the square but with no heat to the steering wheel and pressing the Icon doesn't change either way. I hadn't thought about a fuse so thanks!

Old 01-17-2018, 07:15 AM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
so I changed the forscan properties to get the heated wheel icon but it doesn't work-
I have a sept 17 lariat that didn't come with the heated wheel option.
I also am hoping that it is as simple as needing a fuse..........

I will look into fuses now.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:28 AM
SGMJohn
Junior User
Gwilkrrs - I've done more research and we won't be getting heat to our steering wheel just by adding the Icon through FORSCAN. Unless you have the Ultimate package we will just have to use gloves or turn the heat vent towards the steering wheel. I got my hopes up it would be easy through FORSCAN but you would have to install a new steering wheel and a module to get heat.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:53 AM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
thanks-
I will add this to the wish-wish list in the event I need to replace the wheel I could upgrade then.........

did you figure what parts and such or just that they were needed?

Old 01-18-2018, 07:39 AM
SGMJohn
Junior User
I found on the F150 Forum that a heated steering wheel replacement and a Heated Steering Wheel Module (HSWM) would have to be purchased and installed. You can check here: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/add-h...314154/index2/ I see you have FORSCAN, when reviewing your modules you will not find HSWM listed. The price listed for the heated steering wheel on the F150 Forum $250 I'm sure is much more for our SDs. I just think it's more than I want to take on for my truck. If you do and are successful please let us know!

Old 01-18-2018, 08:21 AM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I HAVE the Heated Steering wheel and still can't find HSWM module listed w/ ForScan.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:49 AM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User
So this myth is busted? If the icon doesn't show on the SYNC climate screen and there's no "hard button", and you try to use ForScan, but there's no HSWM module... you're still left with "cold hands"? The pic of the 2018 Expedition climate control... I also see the temperatures for dual climate on the ***** themselves whereas I have to be in climate mode on SYNC to see temp settings for dual mode. Hmmm Anyway to add the climate controls from a 2018 Expedition to a Super Duty???

It seems logical that all the wheels should have the heating elements as they're under the padding & such. I was wondering which connectors they would normally be plumbed into to confirm such suspicions...

Some things prove to be easy like adding the tailgate assist, changing parameters for various functions (turn-off LED hyperflash, etc..) whereas others like this are such a pain.

Someone on here mentioned if you could build a Super Duty they way YOU want it without having to go through the stupid package upgrades would be nice.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:17 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by AK-AlumADuty
So this myth is busted? If the icon doesn't show on the SYNC climate screen and there's no "hard button", and you try to use ForScan, but there's no HSWM module... you're still left with "cold hands"?.....
I do NOT have the HSWM module in Forscan - I DO in fact have the Heated Wheel and i have been able to add the icon to the infotainment system.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:03 PM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User
I do NOT have the HSWM module in Forscan - I DO in fact have the Heated Wheel and i have been able to add the icon to the infotainment system.
So for clarification, your heated steering wheel control was originally NOT in the SYNC infotainment? So you merely used the Forscan and added it- please explain...

I guess what I'm after is how did you know you had the heating elements installed or was this an experiment that went well for you? That's kinda what I was after in my previous post:
[QUOTE] It seems logical that all the wheels should have the heating elements as they're under the padding & such. I was wondering which connectors they would normally be plumbed into to confirm such suspicions...[QUOTE]

Old 04-21-2018, 03:16 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by AK-AlumADuty
So for clarification, your heated steering wheel control was originally NOT in the SYNC infotainment? So you merely used the Forscan and added it- please explain...
thats correct my (platinum edition) truck was built w/ the option - the only way to turn the wheel/heat on was to trill into the climate control & select it.
via Forscan - i was able to Add the on/off icon to the home screen.

When performing customizations thru Forscan - My truck does NOT reveal an HSWM module.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:59 PM
AZSCAWPION
Laughing Gas
Received 334 Likes on 177 Posts
Gotta love these first world problems

Usually hang out in the '61-'66 forums but saw this thread on the live feed. You guys are talking about how to get your heated steering wheel to warm up (with touch screens and voice commands no less) and I consider myself lucky to have arm rests and sun visors in my '65 (considering they were optional back then). Times sure have changed.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:30 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by AZSCAWPION
Usually hang out in the '61-'66 forums but saw this thread on the live feed. You guys are talking about how to get your heated steering wheel to warm up (with touch screens and voice commands no less) and I consider myself lucky to have arm rests and sun visors in my '65 (considering they were optional back then). Times sure have changed.
We have FM stereo too!
and are you ready for this....pickup trucks with cruise control AND power windows (we know no shame).