Heated Steering Wheel Didn't Know I had - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Heated Steering Wheel Didn't Know I had

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 01-12-2018, 02:38 PM
Dockmaster1
Junior User
Dockmaster1 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I have a 2017 CCLB 6.7 with the Lariat package. I was not aware I have a heated steering wheel and can't figure out how to control it. I do NOT have the button on the A/C panel. I had the truck in some pretty cold weather recently and there is clearly heating elements in the steering wheel. However, I cannot figure out what tells it to turn on/off. I tried everything I can think of (Heater controls, rear window defrost, etc) and nothing seems to switch it on or off. I'm no longer in the cold climate and it has not come on since. I cannot find any mention of this in the manual other than when you have the switch on the A/C panel and have this option. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Don't get me wrong, it was nice to have in the cold but I'm surprised by it and am really curious what tells it to turn on/off. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2018, 02:39 PM
roadpilot
Elder User
roadpilot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.roadpilot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Dockmaster1 View Post
I have a 2017 CCLB 6.7 with the Lariat package. I was not aware I have a heated steering wheel and can't figure out how to control it. I do NOT have the button on the A/C panel. I had the truck in some pretty cold weather recently and there is clearly heating elements in the steering wheel. However, I cannot figure out what tells it to turn on/off. I tried everything I can think of (Heater controls, rear window defrost, etc) and nothing seems to switch it on or off. I'm no longer in the cold climate and it has not come on since. I cannot find any mention of this in the manual other than when you have the switch on the A/C panel and have this option. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Don't get me wrong, it was nice to have in the cold but I'm surprised by it and am really curious what tells it to turn on/off. Thanks!
Do you have the big Sync3 touch screen? Upper left corner of the 'Climate' screen.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:42 PM
roadpilot
Elder User
roadpilot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.roadpilot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You can also add the button to the Sync3 home screen by either:

1. Using FORScan
2. Updating your Sync3 to v3 (the official version isn't out, but there's a beta floating around)

Old 01-12-2018, 02:47 PM
TheLex
Senior User
TheLex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TheLex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So the only way to toggle it on is via the touchscreen? There's no hard button?

Originally Posted by roadpilot View Post
Do you have the big Sync3 touch screen? Upper left corner of the 'Climate' screen.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:04 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Mud Doc is starting off with a positive reputation.
That is correct. Bummer, too--got to change screens to control things. There are a few buttons on the steering wheel, but not that heater.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:27 PM
A&Pmech
Senior User
A&Pmech is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm gonna have to check my truck, I hope I have it too. Do you have the ultimate package?

Old 01-12-2018, 05:53 PM
stewy604
Elder User
stewy604 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Correct...soft touch via Sync only. I wish the button was either on the wheel itself, or on the column (beside the telescopic/tilt adjustment would be best.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:08 PM
Spode
Freshman User
Spode is starting off with a positive reputation.
On my summer trip to Alaska I some how turned it on and to my supprise also as I didnít I had it. It took about a 20 minutes while driving to get off. It really heats up the steering wheel.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:31 PM
Timberwolf2017
Freshman User
Timberwolf2017 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the Lariat with the value package. Does anyone know if the heater is there but just not turned on in Sync 3? or is it only on ultimate package?

Old 01-12-2018, 07:11 PM
Dockmaster1
Junior User
Dockmaster1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks RoadPilot and others. Yep, it is right there on the Sync screen. I never use that screen as I just use the button controls. Appreciate the help everyone.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:26 PM
Thanatos41
New User
Thanatos41 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's pretty much the only thing I dislike about my truck. Having to go through a number of screens to turn the heat on and off for the steering wheel is just plain stupid. It should be a simple button on the wheel controls.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:32 PM
TheLex
Senior User
TheLex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TheLex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Once the heated wheel is on, how long does it stay on for? In my Audi, the heated wheel feature turned off automatically after a few minutes.

Or does one have to toggle it off manually?

Old 01-12-2018, 08:34 PM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Thanatos41 View Post
It's pretty much the only thing I dislike about my truck. Having to go through a number of screens to turn the heat on and off for the steering wheel is just plain stupid. It should be a simple button on the wheel controls.
The latest version of Sync 3 has it on the home screen.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:15 PM
nlitend1
New User
nlitend1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Should stay on till you turn it off or shut engine off.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:22 PM
Pioneer1
Senior User
Pioneer1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Love the heated steering wheel. Probably use it 6months of the year here in Ohio. 0 degrees and blowing 40mph right now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heated Steering Wheel Didn't Know I had

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.