2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

4x4 VS 4x2... What is turning?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 08:30 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's the same group of morons that think that chaining 2 trucks together for a "pull off" means anything.

People that attach their ego to their trucks make me sick. I have no patience for that juvenile BS.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:59 AM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts
i was talking about competition sled pulling. not those goons with a tow strap in walmart parking lot

Old 01-14-2018, 11:13 AM
First Dually
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This sounds a lot like the old Ford-Chevy-Dodge debate.

Oh! This IS the Ford-Chevy-Dodge (err Ram) debate!

Old 01-14-2018, 11:16 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Dodge is so bad they can't put their name on the truck anymore.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:19 AM
First Dually
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Buliwyf
Dodge is so bad they can't put their name on the truck anymore.
LOL.

Touché!

LOL

Old 01-14-2018, 03:04 PM
HouseMouse
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got rid of my Dodge/Cummins. I ordered a Cummins and they delivered it in a Dodge. From there, I never uncrated it. The Body interior immediately started falling apart, although the Cummins and the NV5600 6-Speed were bullet proof.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:24 PM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 425 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by willynilly
sorry i just dont see it your way but for argument sake we'll agree to disagree and you can get back to kissing you clunky vacuum hub, death wobbling, driveline vibrating... err i mean far superior running gear. good day sir

oh ya one more thing before i say adios, other day i was watching 4x4 truck pulling league and 90% of them were using cummins engines. shocked the hek outta me since powerstroke is supposed to be such a brute. i guess not when it comes to competion pulling
I don't have any of those symptoms, I don't have a vacuum lock hub on the new truck, and I've never had a hint of death wobble or drive line vibration with a cumulative total of over 350000 miles on two trucks with the 2005+ Dana 60s.

Pulling a sled 200 ft has nothing to do with longevity of ball joints or housing strength. Most of those trucks have 3 grand dumped into RCVs and cryo gears. You try bumping down my road 6 days a week in a Ram, and have ZERO problems over 180,000 miles(when I finally replaced my joints), then I'll respect your opinion.

The problems you speak of are usually present on the first page of the 2013+ Cummins Forum, and threads are well over 1000+ posts. Last I heard, aftermarket companies weren't swooping down to offer a bulletproof ball joint due to premature failures at 80 50 heck even 30K miles on Ford trucks, only Rams.

A bit confused why engines matter in a thread about 4x4 running gear? I'd be using a p-pumped Cummins also due to easy hp gains if I was sled pulling. So what>?

Old 01-14-2018, 03:34 PM
jbrnigan
More Turbo
Received 130 Likes on 58 Posts
Buliwyf & willynilly - Boy, you guys are "BRUTAL" and I'll bet,a bundle of laughs at a coctail party. LOL

Old 01-14-2018, 03:43 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
It's mostly disappointment. I don't like any company having a monopoly on my business.

GM is retarded, and Dodge is just a cheaper crappier Ford.

At least if I was into little trucks I could choose for the overpriced Colorado, the even more expensive Zr2, Tacoma, Frontier, New Ranger, etc. etc. HD trucks? Nope. The Ford XL and XLT stomp them all pretty badly right now.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:11 PM
KingofBolivar
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the Make debate

I have just recently purchased a Ford 350 XLT Premium Package which I traded a 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 in for. The Cummins in the truck was great. Within 6K miles i already had a ball joint failure on drivers side front axle. I could lift front tire up while jacked up by 3/8" of an inch. Dealer said was in spec so SOL for warranty. The ball joint being that loose caused a vibration at highway speeds. I went on to replace them twice myself. I also had to replace track bar for the beginnings of a death wobble along with steering damper. The truck steered like my dad's 1971 Ford Explorer from 6K to 178K and the time i traded it. Then I went on to install a free spin kit which led me to notice slack in the ball joints on the tie-rod and lower drag link ball joint. I upgraded those as well. Transmission never shifted right it seemed to lug or to shift too late, but luckily never failed, just irritated me. Transmission temps would go off the chart when i was pulling the RV in summer, always worried me. I had to replace batteries at least once a year. Wiring harness had manufacturing defect in rear drivers door window that pissed me off so bad i had all but completely destroyed the door panel before finding it. All in all the motor was great and run like a raped ape with no issues ever but after crawling under the 2017 Ford with the new frame and heavy duty steering components and tight driving that is all that it took. Not to mention the power...

Old 01-22-2018, 09:07 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by KingofBolivar
I have just recently purchased a Ford 350 XLT Premium Package which I traded a 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 in for. The Cummins in the truck was great. Within 6K miles i already had a ball joint failure on drivers side front axle. I could lift front tire up while jacked up by 3/8" of an inch. Dealer said was in spec so SOL for warranty. The ball joint being that loose caused a vibration at highway speeds. I went on to replace them twice myself. I also had to replace track bar for the beginnings of a death wobble along with steering damper. The truck steered like my dad's 1971 Ford Explorer from 6K to 178K and the time i traded it. Then I went on to install a free spin kit which led me to notice slack in the ball joints on the tie-rod and lower drag link ball joint. I upgraded those as well. Transmission never shifted right it seemed to lug or to shift too late, but luckily never failed, just irritated me. Transmission temps would go off the chart when i was pulling the RV in summer, always worried me. I had to replace batteries at least once a year. Wiring harness had manufacturing defect in rear drivers door window that pissed me off so bad i had all but completely destroyed the door panel before finding it. All in all the motor was great and run like a raped ape with no issues ever but after crawling under the 2017 Ford with the new frame and heavy duty steering components and tight driving that is all that it took. Not to mention the power...
sorry to hear your bad luck. maybe you had a lemon ? it happens from time to time.

not to shine a light on this guy but his '17 f250 front end components needed replaced at just 24k, mostly all highway miles. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...th-wobble.html

Old 01-22-2018, 10:41 PM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 425 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by willynilly
sorry to hear your bad luck. maybe you had a lemon ? it happens from time to time.

not to shine a light on this guy but his '17 f250 front end components needed replaced at just 24k, mostly all highway miles. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...th-wobble.html
No, he didn't have a lemon, he had a Dodge truck plagued with *Dodge Standard* suspension issues. In fact, that model year was included in the nationwide recall of 1 million+ Dodge trucks for faulty steering linkage linked to multiple loss of control and serious injury incidents.

A 'lemon' is defined as a vehicle with an anomaly defect not normally experienced with other vehicles of the same type/brand, and not corrected within three service attempts.

The Ford you referenced, that is the proper definition of a lemon. Out of the millions of Dana 60s produced for these trucks, a small percentage will be jig welded with incorrect caster angles. It happens.