2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

what's worse on 6.7 - let it idle or shut down cold after short trip?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 07:44 PM
ZuluFoxtrot
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what's worse on 6.7 - let it idle or shut down cold after short trip?

For those of you who have those inevitable short trips (for me, dropping kids at daycare/school in the morning), is it worse to let it idle for 5 minutes while you run in or shut it down relatively cold (oil temps at ~130*) and then start her back up to continue on with the drive to work or wherever?

thanks in advance!

Old 01-09-2018, 07:55 PM
BobbyLIII
New User
im interested in the responses to this tread . my truck does get used like a truck the other 75% of the time

Old 01-09-2018, 08:20 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ZuluFoxtrot
For those of you who have those inevitable short trips (for me, dropping kids at daycare/school in the morning), is it worse to let it idle for 5 minutes while you run in or shut it down relatively cold (oil temps at ~130*) and then start her back up to continue on with the drive to work or wherever?

thanks in advance!
Not sure if you are in urban area but if you can leave it run without worry of getting stolen then just leave it run. I would if I owned one but I bought a gasser. So either way diesel or not I would just let it run. I think starting and stopping isn't great for any engine you're only talking a few minutes anyways.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:15 PM
Paulgl32
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't. I lock the door with the keypad and leave it running. I try not to idle for more then 15 min
But I also drive a semi that runs sometimes 2 weeks 24/7(turn it of to check oil for 5 min when I fuel)

Old 01-09-2018, 09:24 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If your dropping off I would let it run, if your stopping walking kids into school, and it's more than 15 minutes, depends on how cold it is. Atleast these trucks don't stink it up so bad, with my 6.0 they wanted me to shut off even though kids were just getting out. At our temps, I would leave it run, before I carry on to work.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:22 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I guess the real question here is whether your truck every gets up to Operating Temps. If you drives are so short that it never reaches normal operating temps before you shut down. Then idling may be beneficial

I do a lot of short trip. Leave house, stop by first job site, run over to lumber yard, run over to plumbing supply, back to jobsite, up to city office, over to bank. I'm chasing all day and I shut down at each place and never worry about it. I've not had any problems with the 6.7L trucks, Went thru a lot of Glowplugs on the 7.3 L and 6.0L trucks. I don't keep trucks over about 150,000 miles, So there might be other long term problems from the frequent start/stops. But I'm not seeing problems on my trucks

I see UPS drivers start stop their diesels all day long, Almost every stop they shut off the engine. But I'm sure they are up to operating temps and never cool off.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:27 PM
goatram
Mountain Pass

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EGR Cooler Coking up and throwing a code. Requires either a new cooler or for it to be cleaned. Emergency Aid trucks and Ambulances have this problem. I had this issue on my 2011 and also on my 2015 DRW. This last time the fuel pump was failing and the truck started to overfuel and screwed up my Cooler and my Particular Filter. 2 weeks in the shop with out my truck. 1450 hrs run time and 125 hrs idle. This fall after I brought my boat home from the coast. I did not drive the truck much just a lot of short in the yard moving the boat and other trailers around the yard.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:25 AM
J Standard
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Leave it running.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:09 AM
bigjeezy86
Senior User
Me being a first time diesel owner with the same problem short drives. I usally let it idle for about 15 mins or when the oil temps gets to 100* that's when I start to drive it. I don't know if that helps but I would think. And I try and leave the house a little early and take a detour before I head into work. Plus it help recharge the batteries

Old 01-10-2018, 01:18 AM
puddintank
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot of the replies here suggest leaving it to idle. Being a diesel noob, what are the consequences if you never idle and always just shut it off every time (even when cool)? Does it hurt the motor, and if so, how? Several years down the road, what difference would there be in a truck that was regularly left to idle vs a truck that was always shut down?

Thanks.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:51 AM
ZuluFoxtrot
New User
thanks for the replies so far. On my first trip of the morning to drop the kids, I only get up to about 130* and have been letting it idle while I run in (5 minutes or so). The next leg of my journey is on the highway and always get up to temps

Sounds like most guys shut down if up to operating temps and let her idle if it will only be a few minutes and the engine is still cold.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:13 AM
J Standard
Senior User
Originally Posted by puddintank
A lot of the replies here suggest leaving it to idle. Being a diesel noob, what are the consequences if you never idle and always just shut it off every time (even when cool)? Does it hurt the motor, and if so, how? Several years down the road, what difference would there be in a truck that was regularly left to idle vs a truck that was always shut down?

Thanks.

UPS/FEDEX shut off at every single stop and run WOT, they seem to get along just fine.

Myself I am way to ****.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:42 AM
wfedwar
Elder User
Overthinking it I think. I doubt you'll see any impact on the engine one way or another.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:55 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ZuluFoxtrot
thanks for the replies so far. On my first trip of the morning to drop the kids, I only get up to about 130* and have been letting it idle while I run in (5 minutes or so). The next leg of my journey is on the highway and always get up to temps

Sounds like most guys shut down if up to operating temps and let her idle if it will only be a few minutes and the engine is still cold.
Repeated cold dry starts. It's where you get the most engine wear. My work truck drives for half the day, idles for the other half. I make about 3-4 stops per day. And it's gasoline. If there is no point to shut down, don't shut down.

UPS/FedX is a bad example. They go through their fair share of engines.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:14 AM
stewy604
Elder User
If that was me, I would let it idle. If you have a push button start, use ForScan and enable Secure Idle. That way when you lock the truck from the outside, fob in your pocket, no one can shift the truck from Park if they break in to steal it. I'd also disable to horn honk on exit / lock with engine running.

Quick Reply: what's worse on 6.7 - let it idle or shut down cold after short trip?