Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Fuel Filter light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 06:49 PM
Lysandra
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter light on

Let me start off with I have no clue what I am doing so be gentle with me. Here is what I got going on.

I have a 93 Ford F250 7.3L diesel non turbo. She loves to break down on me and she might just make a mechanic out of me yet. Or maybe not.

A week ago the fuel filter came on while driving home from work. It was 7 degrees. I lost power and she eventually stalled out on me. I got her towed home later that evening and tried working on her Tuesday. I replaced the fuel filter but the light is still on and she will not stay running.

After much research I thought that it would have to be the tank, lift pump, or the fuel line running from the tank to the lift pump. So disconnected the fuel line running from the tank to the lift pump added some extra line and ran the line into a two gallon fuel tank with diesel. Well I can't even get the thing to start now.

I figured I might have put air into the lines when I disconnected the fuel line so I tried bleeding them but can't get fuel to come out of my injector lines. It does come out the back of the fuel filter so the lift pump is working.

Any ideas? Again, I have no clue what I'm doing but a girl has to start somewhere right?

Old 01-09-2018, 10:42 PM
mroth2008
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lysandra
Let me start off with I have no clue what I am doing so be gentle with me. Here is what I got going on.

I have a 93 Ford F250 7.3L diesel non turbo. She loves to break down on me and she might just make a mechanic out of me yet. Or maybe not.

A week ago the fuel filter light came on while driving home from work. It was 7 degrees. I lost power and she eventually stalled out on me. I got her towed home later that evening and tried working on her Tuesday. I replaced the fuel filter but the light is still on and she will not stay running.

After much research I thought that it would have to be the tank, liftpump, or the fuel line running from the tank to the lift pump. So disconnected the fuel line running from the tank to the lift pump added some extra line and ran the line into a two gallon fuel tank with diesel. Well I can't even get the thing to start now.

I figured I might have put air into the lines when I disconnected the one fuel line so I tried bleeding them but can't get fuel to come out of my injector lines. It does come out the back of the fuel filter so the lift pump is working.

Any ideas? Again, I have no clue what I'm doing but a girl has to start somewhere right?
Well for bleeding I always hold throttle wide open makes it easier. Check fuel shut off on the ip key on unplugging and and plugging in should make a audible click from the pump. I always check pump flow via the shrader valve on fuel filter housing. But your on the right track at least. If you plug the block heater in it will help it start and run. Hope this helps.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:40 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
How warm is it where you are?
If its still 7 degrees you might well have gelled fuel if you didn't add any cold weather treatment to the tank.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:00 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 324 Likes on 279 Posts
You mentioned that you put the IN line to the lift pump in a jerry can full of diesel and still couldn't start it. To complete this test you should take the OUT line from the lift pump off of the fuel filter housing and crank the engine to see if the lift pump is working. Use a coffee can to catch the fuel from the OUT line of the lift pump. If it doesn't pump diesel you know it's bad.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:43 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
welcome to FTE

what i do to prime the system when testing a lift pump is put the portable fuel supply higher than the lift pump, up on top of the fender or on the roof.
once running set the supply down on the ground. if the filter light comes back on, the lift pump is not supplying enough pressure/volume to the filter causing a vacuum and needs replacing.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:05 PM
Lysandra
New User
I got her running!!!!! Well sort of.

​​​​​ I ran out of fuel.

Came out and finally got her system purged of air. Called around for a fuel pressure gauge for a diesel but no such luck. I did hook up a gauge to the schraeder valve but got no reading because the seal on it was rotted. No biggey, I'll go pick up one in a few. It must have allowed the rest of the air out because she fired and idled fine! No fuel filter light either! This is running off of the 2 gallon fuel tank.

So, that means it's my tank or the fuel line between my tank and lift pump right?

And guys, I just now saw your comments! I apologize and THANK YOU!!!! Its been long slow work for me on the truck as I am learning as I'm going.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:11 PM
Lysandra
New User
Originally Posted by mroth2008
Well for bleeding I always hold throttle wide open makes it easier. Check fuel shut off on the ip key on unplugging and and plugging in should make a audible click from the pump. I always check pump flow via the shrader valve on fuel filter housing. But your on the right track at least. If you plug the block heater in it will help it start and run. Hope this helps.

ip key = ignition pump key? I do not hear any click from the pump. I did put a gauge on the schraeder valve but the ring was rotted so I have to get a new one. I can't find a fuel gauge for diesels locally. I posted below with an update. I have her running and idling with no fuelbfikter light but with the gas tank disconnected.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:14 PM
Lysandra
New User
Originally Posted by tecgod13
How warm is it where you are?
If its still 7 degrees you might well have gelled fuel if you didn't add any cold weather treatment to the tank.

I have not added any cold weather treatment to her. I honestly didn't know that I needed too. I never drive her in the winter. I did however go out almost every hour that night at work and start her up and let her idle for 20 minutes. I didn't have access to an electrical outlet to plug in her block heater and it got COLD.

It got even colder, down to -6 one night. I paid a stupid tax and accidentally drained all of the fuel out if my tank. The only fuel left is the quarter tank where my pick tubes can't reach because the end fell off.

I posted an update. I do have her running and idling with no fuel filter light but it's with the tank disconnected.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:17 PM
Lysandra
New User
Originally Posted by Olds64
You mentioned that you put the IN line to the lift pump in a jerry can full of diesel and still couldn't start it. To complete this test you should take the OUT line from the lift pump off of the fuel filter housing and crank the engine to see if the lift pump is working. Use a coffee can to catch the fuel from the OUT line of the lift pump. If it doesn't pump diesel you know it's bad.

I disconnected the fuel line on the back of the filter. That wouldn't tell me the same thing?

Old 01-10-2018, 01:19 PM
Lysandra
New User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
welcome to FTE

what i do to prime the system when testing a lift pump is put the portable fuel supply higher than the lift pump, up on top of the fender or on the roof.
once running set the supply down on the ground. if the filter light comes back on, the lift pump is not supplying enough pressure/volume to the filter causing a vacuum and needs replacing.

I'll need add a longer line to do that. :/ Right now, I'm headed to get more diesel and the o ring for the pressure gauge and then I'll try what you guys have suggested. Oh and I guess more fuel line. Lol

Old 01-10-2018, 01:42 PM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Disconnecting the fuel line IN to the stock fuel filter is the same as disconnecting the fuel line OUT of the lift pump. It should pump fuel while crankinig.

If the truck is running now with the fuel tank disconnected you just have to make sure there are no obstructions between your tanks and the lift pump. Does your fuel tank select valve work properly? Do you have a separate water separator before the lift pump?

Old 01-10-2018, 01:51 PM
Lysandra
New User
Originally Posted by Olds64
Disconnecting the fuel line IN to the stock fuel filter is the same as disconnecting the fuel line OUT of the lift pump. It should pump fuel while crankinig.

If the truck is running now with the fuel tank disconnected you just have to make sure there are no obstructions between your tanks and the lift pump. Does your fuel tank select valve work properly? Do you have a separate water separator before the lift pump?

I don't know if the fuel tank selector valve is working. I haven't used it in forever. My boyfriend accidentally put gas in the front tank and then poked a hole in the tank to get it out. I've ran off the rear tank ever since. I just checked, it does switch tanks. How do I check to make sure it's working properly?

I was not aware of a water separator before the lift pump. I don't see anything unless it's under the truck before the firewall(?) Or right at the tank.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:54 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
good to hear it is running with no more light. one thing to remember on these trucks is to keep the fuel level over 1/4 tank. the pickup in the tank tends to break around the 1/4 tank mark and suck air, making it feel like the truck ran out of fuel.
another truck is to fill the fuel filter up with diesel, fuel conditioner, or automatic trans fluid before putting it on, this way the system is pretty much primed before starting.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:01 PM
Lysandra
New User
good to hear it is running with no more light. one thing to remember on these trucks is to keep the fuel level over 1/4 tank. the pickup in the tank tends to break around the 1/4 tank mark and suck air, making it feel like the truck ran out of fuel.
another truck is to fill the fuel filter up with diesel, fuel conditioner, or automatic trans fluid before putting it on, this way the system is pretty much primed before starting.

I already knew my pick up tubes were off. I bought the truck two years ago and couldn't keep it running for 3 weeks because if that. Died on me on the way home when I bought it! Lol Anyways when it initially broke down it had over 3/4ths a tank in it.

I did prefill the filter when I replaced it.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:19 PM
Olds64
Cargo Master
fill the fuel filter up with diesel, fuel conditioner, or automatic trans fluid before putting it on, this way the system is pretty much primed before starting.

x2

I filled my fuel filter with ATF when I started my truck after servicing the oil cooler. It may have been phsycological, but it seemed to help my truck idle better.

If you're still having trouble you can remove the fuel line OUT from the fuel selector valve and put your jerry can there. If your lift pump pulls the fuel from there and the truck runs you know your problem is between the tank and the fuel selector valve.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter light on