Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel Tank - How to Drain??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 08:08 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
THAT mod requires reaming out the metal fill hole just inside the fill door when the tank and fill hose is not attached during the hutch mod
Really? My '97 and e99 fit the big nozzles. AFAIK both trucks were bone stock when I got them ... both of them were also originally fleet trucks though, for big oil.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:06 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
My L99 needed the hole beaten in, but the 02's a throater😁

Old 01-10-2018, 09:33 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
My E99 has small hole and my '01 municipal plow truck had large hole that did not look modified, it went to the scrap yard with the bed.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:49 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintITC
Really? My '97 and e99 fit the big nozzles
I know my stock 99.5 didn't fit them. I could hold the bigger nozzle over the hole n try n aim carefully, but they didn't fit inside it. Anyone know what size the big rig nozzles are? Think I reamed mine out to about 1 1/4"

Old 01-11-2018, 06:18 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Back to the OP. Part of the issue with the stock fuel system, is the in-tank fuel strainer which is part of the umbrella or pickup foot inside the tank. This is the plastic part which either falls off, breaks, or gets clogged if you've gotten dirty fuel. Many will re-use or replace the plastic umbrella part, but remove the screen. Instead we'll install an external fuel strainer between the tank and the fuel pump, where it can be inspected and changed, if needed. It's important to note that it's a strainer, not filter. Your filter is under the hood, the strainer is only there to protect the pump.

The umbrella part is re-used to get the new pickup line right to the bottom of the tank. We also replace all of the OEM quick disconnect fittings located before the pump with doubled up hose clamps, and new high quality diesel fuel rated fuel lines.

Let us know how everything works out for you!

Old 01-11-2018, 07:35 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by SaniaBB55
Believe we need to drain our 7.3L fuel tank. Hubby went underneath and saw no drain plug and said it appears to be a non-metal tank. So how can we drain this fuel tank?

Old 01-11-2018, 07:57 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintITC
Back to the OP. Part of the issue with the stock fuel system, is the in-tank fuel strainer which is part of the umbrella or pickup foot inside the tank. This is the plastic part which either falls off, breaks, or gets clogged if you've gotten dirty fuel. Many will re-use or replace the plastic umbrella part, but remove the screen. Instead we'll install an external fuel strainer between the tank and the fuel pump, where it can be inspected and changed, if needed. It's important to note that it's a strainer, not filter. Your filter is under the hood, the strainer is only there to protect the pump.

The umbrella part is re-used to get the new pickup line right to the bottom of the tank. We also replace all of the OEM quick disconnect fittings located before the pump with doubled up hose clamps, and new high quality diesel fuel rated fuel lines.

Let us know how everything works out for you!
This is a picture of the exterior strainer (Racor Filter) mounted between the tank and pump.

Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2018, 07:50 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
does anyone have a name or part number for the in line (the really small one) by any chance?

Old 01-12-2018, 08:48 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
does anyone have a name or part number for the in line (the really small one) by any chance?
Here's what I'm eyeing up for when I do mine. I like the way it can be cleaned and believe that the Racor is overkill.https://www.cjponyparts.com/mr-gaske...All%20Products

Old 01-12-2018, 09:01 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
I have no idea on whether this is true or not, but others have voiced concerns that a filter before the pump may be too restrictive on flow - our pumps are better at pushing fuel than sucking it. Hence our filter is located after the pump, on top of the engine.
That's why folks have gone with a fuel strainer pre-pump, less restrictive. By no means is the pricey Racor PS120 the only option, but these strainers are pretty much the go to option for big diesel applications, like big trucks, marine engines, etc. Just another point of view...

Old 01-12-2018, 09:08 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
100 microns seems to be the number for the strainer and the filter up top is a very good filter. The strainer's purpose is to keep the stuff that will ruin the pump from getting to it.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:09 PM
00Dave
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
Riffraff Diesel Inline Fuel Filter Canister

Riffraff Diesel Inline Fuel Filter Canister

And there are replacement filters available.
Is this what you're talking about when you say the small one?

Old 01-12-2018, 12:35 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
... The strainer's purpose is to keep the stuff that will ruin the pump from getting to it.
Almost, but not quite.

Inside the suction end of the fuel pump is a 56 mesh screen which keeps damaging particulates from entering the pumps smaller crevices inside. The real purpose of the "in tank" or pre-pump strainer is to simply avoid plugging up that screen inside the pump. I had initially estimated the mesh at 64, but just zoomed in on the picture, recounted the openings, and it is indeed a 56 mesh count. Any mesh count higher than 56 will protect the pump's internal screen, but if you get too tight you will create pump starvation issues at high flow demand. The 120 mesh in the Racor PS120 strainer works beautifully!

Clay's inline units look nice and are compact, but for about the same amount of money for the PS120, I would personally rather have the larger filtration surface in the PS120 for less strain on the pump, and at the same time get a clear bowl for being able to see what is or is not going on with both contaminants and air entrainment. That's just my own personal preference, though.

In terms of the small clear bodied unit referenced by you, I ran one of those on my Excursion for about 5 or 6 years, and it really does not take very much crud to really plug off the fuel flow. Yes, it is less costly and very compact, and it can be cleaned. The small unit just doesn't hold very much, and once you take it apart to clean it, it can be difficult to get each end of the clear tube to completely seal to prevent air entrainment. I'm much much happier with the larger PS120 in place now. Again, personal preference.

The reason for not relying solely on the pump's internal screen (having another one ahead of the pump) is because the pump itself cannot be disassembled and cleaned without destroying it completely.

Here is a link to a thread I posted some time back when I tore down a stock pump to see how it was built... pictures included.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-and-pics.html

Old 01-12-2018, 02:40 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by F250_
Almost, but not quite....
Here is a link to a thread I posted some time back when I tore down a stock pump to see how it was built... pictures included.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-and-pics.html
And this is why this is such a great forum.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:13 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry I was refering to the white strainer that was in the picture, as I feel the Racore is just too much, not looking to redesign the entire system, and would like to put a strainer back in line as I too out the intank screens (replaced pickup foot and put the new one with screen in tank) but would like to have something to replace the in tank screens. I would like the more compact ones for ease of install and I don't mind if I might need to empty it more often anyways.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank - How to Drain??