Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Starter replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 01:48 PM
Rocketattack
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter replacement?

My truck is a 1994 7.3l IDI CC dually 4x2 build code 5/94. I am in Detroit, Mi. Its been cold, very cold for awhile now. I have had troubles starting my truck. I live in an apartment at this time so there is no place for me to plug in. I have had to use my work trucks power inverter for an hour to warm it up and charge the batteries since it has been so cold. The started to get harder to crank over. It would take longer to charge to have the power to turn over. Last Sunday it started as usual with some slow cranking. I only crank it for about 10-15 sec. at a time. On Monday evening I attepmted to crank it at got nothing. It only clicked. The batteries were only 2 years old but I took them out thinking one maybe dead. I took them to Oreilley and had them tested. 1 was bad the other was good but I had them both replaced under warranty through Oreillys. I got the batteries reinstalled and also bought 2 battery warmers that wrap around them. I attempted to start at again it only clicked. I then used a screw driver on the solenoid terminals. I vould hear the bendix get out but the starter did not spin. Remember its cold up in here in Detroit. So now my thought was somebody needs to crawl under the truck and pull and replace the starter. I called a few shops to see if they had time but was told they were all backed up. So I took it out myself. I had it tested at Orielly and my hunch was right, the starter is bad. I spoke with Oreillys and Autozone. They qouted $150+ and my starter. I had both of them pull their starter to compare it to mine. I ran into an issue. The mount face to the middle of the starter gear on their starters is shorter then mine. So as the start gear slides out it will not be out far enough to engage my flywheel. I decided to have mine rebuilt. I then took it to a local shop and was told it can not be rebuilt as it has rivets instead of screws on the case sides. I was again qouted a fairly step price tag of $180. I have done some research and found some forum threads that people have gotten starters from DB Electric. They list starters at under $100. Are these any good? Their application list is a bit confusing to me. They list a few different models for truck. My starter is a Mitsubishi with the bullet nose. What is the OEM p/n for my starter? I am wanting a high torque model if there is one. Want are the pros/cons of the different manufacturers starters? I am unsure of what I really need?

Last edited by Rocketattack; 01-07-2018 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Misinformation
Old 01-07-2018, 04:57 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketattack
My truck is a 1994 7.3l IDI CC dually 4x2 build code 5/94. I am in Detroit, Mi. Its been cold, very cold for awhile now. I have had troubles starting my truck. I live in an apartment at this time so there is no place for me to plug in. I have had to use my work trucks power inverter for an hour to warm it up and charge the batteries since it has been so cold. The started to get harder to crank over. It would take longer to charge to have the power to turn over. Last Sunday it started as usual with some slow cranking. I only crank it for about 10-15 sec. at a time. On Monday evening I attepmted to crank it at got nothing. It only clicked. The batteries were only 2 years old but I took them out thinking one maybe dead. I took them to Oreilley and had them tested. 1 was bad the other was good but I had them both replaced under warranty through Oreillys. I got the batteries reinstalled and also bought 2 battery warmers that wrap around them. I attempted to start at again it only clicked. I then used a screw driver on the solenoid terminals. I vould hear the bendix get out but the starter did not spin. Remember its cold up in here in Detroit. So now my thought was somebody needs to crawl under the truck and pull and replace the starter. I called a few shops to see if they had time but was told they were all backed up. So I took it out myself. I had it tested at Orielly and my hunch was right, the starter is bad. I spoke with Oreillys and Autozone. They qouted $150+ and my starter. I had both of them pull their starter to compare it to mine. I ran into an issue. The mount face to the middle of the starter gear on their starters is shorter then mine. So as the start gear slides out it will not be out far enough to engage my flywheel. I decided to have mine rebuilt. I then took it to a local shop and was told it can not be rebuilt as it has rivets instead of screws on the case sides. I was again qouted a fairly step price tag of $180. I have done some research and found some forum threads that people have gotten starters from DB Electric. They list starters at under $100. Are these any good? Their application list is a bit confusing to me. They list a few different models for truck. My starter is a Mitsubishi with the bullet nose. What is the OEM p/n for my starter? I am wanting a high torque model if there is one. Want are the pros/cons of the different manufacturers starters? I am unsure of what I really need?
I believe the part # for your starter is F4TZ-11002-B.
I have had both the Nippon-Denso and the Mitsubishi style starters - I prefer the ND starter on my IDI. Spins faster, starts easier. It can be had for around 140$ from rockauto. Look under the 1993 model year truck to make sure you dont end up with a powerstroke starter. The Nippon-Denso unit is the gear-reduction starter.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:19 PM
WVIDI
New User
I ordered a powermaster off of amazon and couldn't be happier. Spins like a little japanese car. Fairly expensive, but i believe the quality is there and made in USA.

Amazon Amazon

Old 01-07-2018, 09:35 PM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by WVIDI
I ordered a powermaster off of amazon and couldn't be happier. Spins like a little japanese car. Fairly expensive, but i believe the quality is there and made in USA.

https://www.amazon.com/Powermaster-9...master+starter

That is a Great price on the Powermaster, I got one from Summit Racing, $215 plus $15 tax and free shipping.
Ian in Nevada and they are in Nv. so have to pay the tax.

The PM Really spins the engine over fast. That top bolt is a pain to get to or see.
I used a Minors light that straps to my head (Walmart) and an angle mirror to see where the dang bolt was.

Charlie

Old 01-08-2018, 12:06 PM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 326 Likes on 281 Posts
Originally Posted by Charmalu
That top bolt is a pain to get to or see.

x2

I recently removed the Mitsubishi starter on my IDI to install block drains.

There's no "easy" way that I found to remove that top bolt. When I reinstalled it I used a 6 inch bolt instead of the stock one. Thread a nylon locking nut onto the bolt to secure the starter. Plus, go with an 8 inch bolt if you can. The 6 inch bolt was 1-2 inches too short so it was still a PITA to install.

To the OP, make sure the jabronis at the auto parts store test your starter correctly. When I had mine tested it failed at first because they didn't hook it up properly.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:48 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by WVIDI

Powermaster... My experience is they're junk, don't hold up over time ever with fairly light use. Mine died in under two years. Motor and gears were fine but the solenoid failed, I could not find a replacement coil for that style starter and Powermaster was no help in offering any replacement parts or a solution.

Read about my starter saga here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ermittent.html

I've bought several cheap starters and alternators before from DB Electrical and only had one issue. 130 amp 3g failed within warranty period, I didn't poke around to try to fix since it was under warranty. I told them how I tested, they agreed it was bad and would replace, but refused to send one out to me until they received the old one back. Poor customer service. So I bought a 130 amp 3g from Pep Boys so I could use the truck sooner than a week or two it would take for them to mail me a new one. Gave the replacement from DB to a friend. Other DB items I have are a starter and 10si alternator on a marine 454, been working great for years, no issues.

For DB's low prices I kind of expect less than stellar customer service and possibility of issues with their likely predominantly Chinese sourced parts. I would expect better if paying premium price for a new made in USA part. I'll gladly pay more for quality but when it turns out to be the same cheap non-serviceable junk with poor customer service, I'll just buy the cheap junk advertised as such and save a few bucks.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:46 PM
WVIDI
New User
Originally Posted by cadunkle
Powermaster... My experience is they're junk, don't hold up over time ever with fairly light use. Mine died in under two years. Motor and gears were fine but the solenoid failed, I could not find a replacement coil for that style starter and Powermaster was no help in offering any replacement parts or a solution.

Nice! I've had mine since summer and so far so good. Hopefully mine gives better service. That was my 3rd starter in 2 years. I did like you and bought this one and warrantied my Napa one for a spare.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:34 AM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts
I have only had the Powermaster in since Oct first, and 5000 miles.
So we`ll see how she does. My bro-in-law has one in his 83 6.9 and one
in his 41 *****`s street Rod. So far so good there too.

Charlie