Sponsored by:

Transmission issue 03 7.3 diesel 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 09:02 PM
cajun x
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission issue 03 7.3 diesel 2wd

Was driving 30mph excursion lost transmission lock up nothing but some when push pedal no clunk or anything like that just some went up. Thinking torque converter went out no loss of fluid but hear a whine . Left truck in Biloxi at a dealer waiting to hear what tech finds out after troubleshooting, if new transmission needed what do yall recommend Tom woods or Sun I have see Sun in beefed up cummins at 1200hp and live long life of abuse just want to see what goes well in 7.3 with tuner and some mild upgrades possible 400hp in future mods but no more than that. If new transmission is needed I will install just want something better than stock for my money also this is 2nd transmission in 130k on truck.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:46 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm running a Ford HD4R100 I installed myself. Paid $2700 locally. I added the John Woods valve body and a billet triple disc converter. I am right about 400HP. It has been in for 50k now, and super happy with it.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:00 AM
cajun x
5th Wheeling
I've read that the Ford he trans wasn't so good that's why I'm asking if I have to buy a new trans I want something that's gonna last nice thank you for your input it is really appreciated that's the first good thing I heard about a hd4r100 it makes me feel better if I go that direction. Did you do anything g special after trans install and how does it shift smooth like stock or firmer but not like neck snapping shifts

Old 01-07-2018, 11:02 AM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTS is also a good transmission. You need to call ahead of time though. When my tranny went there was like a 3-4 week lead time. I couldn't wait that long so I just had a local shop rebuild it and it has been flawless since then.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:11 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Originally Posted by cajun x
I've read that the Ford he trans wasn't so good that's why I'm asking if I have to buy a new trans I want something that's gonna last nice thank you for your input it is really appreciated that's the first good thing I heard about a hd4r100 it makes me feel better if I go that direction. Did you do anything g special after trans install and how does it shift smooth like stock or firmer but not like neck snapping shifts
Other than ditching the junk, stamped steel converter Ford puts in the unit, and adding the JW valve body, I didn't do anything special to it. Stamped steel converters don't do well behind a higher horsepower/torque 7.3L. They flex and fail in short order.

The JW valve body really firmed up the shifts. They are quick and clean, but not head jerking. No more dragging out the shifts and burning clutches up.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:47 PM
Stolher
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NicMike
Which converter did you go with?

Old 01-08-2018, 03:40 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Stolher, read here first. Great info in this thread if you are in the market for a converter.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...fter-255k.html

I went with a heavy duty, billet, diesel specific unit from Precision of New Hampton. Precision part # is 2648APSRV. There is a similar part available called the 2648APSRV-MX with stall speed of 1600 instead of 1900. Uses a customized stator to lower the stall speed even more for heavy towers. Otherwise, it is the same HD converter I got.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:50 PM
cajun x
5th Wheeling
Dealer called me back told me 5400.00 I asked what kind of transmission are they gonna install told me stock as what's in there now. I'll have it picked up next Monday and brought to the transmission shop i use for all my other builds for 2500 and he rebuilds them in house and will install but i see a jw valve body going in. I will look for torque converter outside what he recommended. Thank you for the insight on this

Old 01-10-2018, 08:39 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by cajun x
Dealer called me back told me 5400.00 I asked what kind of transmission are they gonna install told me stock as what's in there now. I'll have it picked up next Monday and brought to the transmission shop i use for all my other builds for 2500 and he rebuilds them in house and will install but i see a jw valve body going in. I will look for torque converter outside what he recommended. Thank you for the insight on this
Two recommendations...

I'd recommends the BTS valve body. I've installed the Factory Tech (owned by Diesel Site), JWVB, and like the BTS the best. I must've caught him at a good time because he explained a few things and how his differs from the rest.

I installed one for cameeks and it seems to make the most difference of the three.

As far as the torque converter, I'd recommend Phill at DPC. He builds 6.0, 7.3, and 6.4 converters and does a damn good job of it too. What got my attention was that he offered a better warranty than anyone else. Most builders offer 1-2 years, but he offered a 5 year warranty on the converter I bought and had a lifetime warranty on the best one he offered, but it was out of the budget. After dealing with one of the most despicable, lackadaisical, and not to mention careless transmission shops, he swapped my converter twice knowing it wasn't the problem to help me get my build done. The shop couldn't figure out why the torque converter wouldn't lock up. It took me calling builders across the country and locally to gather a consensus of a bad pump. Had I not made them replace the pump with a new one, they'd still be guessing all now.

Bottom line: Phil at DPC makes great torque converters, stands behind them, and has awesome customer service.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Two recommendations...

As far as the torque converter, I'd recommend Phill at DPC. He builds 6.0, 7.3, and 6.4 converters and does a damn good job of it too. What got my attention was that he offered a better warranty than anyone else. Most builders offer 1-2 years, but he offered a 5 year warranty on the converter I bought and had a lifetime warranty on the best one he offered, but it was out of the budget. After dealing with one of the most despicable, lackadaisical, and not to mention careless transmission shops, he swapped my converter twice knowing it wasn't the problem to help me get my build done.

Bottom line: Phil at DPC makes great torque converters, stands behind them, and has awesome customer service.
Agree with this above as well, Diesel Performance Converters | Best Diesel Torque Converters

Here's a pic of mine.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:27 PM
cajun x
5th Wheeling
As I am understanding a good rebuild is good just spend money on the torque converter and valve body? I know about transmission but not an expert by no means just want to do it right first time and move forward have another project I need to complete before I get into this one all the way most of you know how multiple projects go I'm sure. I am glad to have this forum available to ask questions on and get real answers from people who have done this I thank you all who reply on this site it's like a big family at times glad I'm a member

Old 01-11-2018, 07:05 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Yes, it is key that you get a proper torque converter behind the 7.3L. It literally will make or break that expensive rebuild down the road. While the correct torque converter is not optional, the valve body is a nice upgrade...but not mandatory.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:30 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicmike
Yes, it is key that you get a proper torque converter behind the 7.3L. It literally will make or break that expensive rebuild down the road. While the correct torque converter is not optional, the valve body is a nice upgrade...but not mandatory.
Heed this man's words...

When my trans went, I asked around and the one thing everyone kept telling me was to buy a torque converter and have Ford put it in instead of the stock one that came with the Ford reman.

I didn't like the shifting with the Ford reman, so I added a Sonnax/Tricumulator kit to it. This was all that was available back in 2006, but the BTS valve body is the cat's meow these days.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:35 AM
cajun x
5th Wheeling
Got it back now rides awesome now took nicmike advice went with hd4r100 and upgraded torque converter the shop got me a good deal on it being all he uses is precision industries torque converters for last 9yrs.he opened up trans and saw hard parts had stress fractures wasn't worth the time or money so got new one thank you all for guidance in which way to go being I'll not go above 400hp down the road. Now just need to finish other project before I jump into this one