Determining towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 08:58 AM
BBD
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Determining towing capacity

Hi guys, and happy new year everyone.

I'm looking at buying a used F150, 09-14, or maybe even newer. Problem I'm running into, is that sellers have no idea what the towing capacity of their trucks are. So can please someone help me figure out how to look it up online?

I've been a GM guy, and looking to get into Ford trucks, so please bare with me. Do the F150s have a sticker in the glove box to tell you about the build specs, like GM's RPO codes? Some sellers have sent me a picture of the door sticker, and I used the VIN decoder on here, but it doesn't tell me for certain what the axle ratio is, or if it has a tow package or not.

If this has been covered before, please point me to the right spot, my searching didn't bring up what I was looking for.

Thank you

Old 01-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
If you have the door pillar decal you have all the info you need. On that decal there is an axle code which will decode to the gear ratio. Combine that with the engine/trans combo and then find the online towing guide for the correct year and you will have it's tow rating. If the particular truck you are interested in still has its owners manual you will find towing info in there too.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:53 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
The GM RPO codes make it easier, with Ford you have to do a little more sleuthing. What you really want to do is get a copy of the window sticker, which shows gvwr and axle ratios, along with any trailering equipment. The Ford fleet towing guide is also an excellent source of information about tow ratings once you have the window sticker.

I've bought a few used trucks in my day, and those GM RPO codes are amazing. Wish Ford could be so helpful.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:11 PM
FarmingF250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put the VIN in the FordETIS website. You will get a build sheet showing axle ratio, engine, etc etc

You can then use that info against towing guide for 20XX model year F150.

My Max Tow 3.5 was listing by dealer as having 7000 tow rating...slightly less than the actual 11,200 tow rating.....

Old 01-06-2018, 12:18 AM
BBD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Conanski
If you have the door pillar decal you have all the info you need. On that decal there is an axle code which will decode to the gear ratio. Combine that with the engine/trans combo and then find the online towing guide for the correct year and you will have it's tow rating. If the particular truck you are interested in still has its owners manual you will find towing info in there too.
Thanks, that's a very good start. Question is, a couple of trucks I'm interested in, both have B6 for axle. But online I see B6 can mean 3.55 or 3.73 axle ratio.

Originally Posted by seventyseven250
The GM RPO codes make it easier, with Ford you have to do a little more sleuthing. What you really want to do is get a copy of the window sticker, which shows gvwr and axle ratios, along with any trailering equipment. The Ford fleet towing guide is also an excellent source of information about tow ratings once you have the window sticker.

I've bought a few used trucks in my day, and those GM RPO codes are amazing. Wish Ford could be so helpful.
The Window sticker would be great, but it's not always available on a used truck. Can a dealer reprint that info?

And yes, the GM RPO codes are excellent.

Originally Posted by FarmingF250
Put the VIN in the FordETIS website. You will get a build sheet showing axle ratio, engine, etc etc

You can then use that info against towing guide for 20XX model year F150.

My Max Tow 3.5 was listing by dealer as having 7000 tow rating...slightly less than the actual 11,200 tow rating.....
That's interesting, and would be great. But when I go on FordETIS, with a VIN, it'll pull up "F150, MOD 5.0L-4V DOHC SEFI NA, Sterling Grey Metallic". And that's it?

Old 01-06-2018, 05:40 AM
FarmingF250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BBD

That's interesting, and would be great. But when I go on FordETIS, with a VIN, it'll pull up "F150, MOD 5.0L-4V DOHC SEFI NA, Sterling Grey Metallic". And that's it?
You should be able to click that and open and see all the build codes right down to color, spare tire size, wheel size etc. I used it many times when shopping.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:11 AM
BBD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FarmingF250
You should be able to click that and open and see all the build codes right down to color, spare tire size, wheel size etc. I used it many times when shopping.
Do I need to register or something? I still can't get it to work. This is what I'm seeing with VIN: 1FTFW1EF0CKE11418. Nothing I click on brings up anything. I tried a different browser as well.

Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2018, 07:46 AM
Siberexpress
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
You need to register and it gives you everything on ETIS.
Also look up the year you are looking at Sales Brochure, all the towing figures are in it for that year.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:50 AM
BBD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Siberexpress
You need to register and it gives you everything on ETIS.
Also look up the year you are looking at Sales Brochure, all the towing figures are in it for that year.

Great. Thanks a bunch. And I'm off the races. This helps a lot

Did I mention I'm a long time GM guy, and making the switch? I think an F150 would look nice in the driveway and do well pulling my trailer. Now I just gotta decide what year.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:12 AM
derek4343
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250

Why did you go from a newer truck with 3.5 back to a 09 with 5.4?

Old 01-06-2018, 09:18 AM
BBD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by derek4343
You mean in what I'm considering based on the VINs?

I haven't totally decided what year, or specific package to look for. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the 5.0, and I'm thinking of treating myself and spending more to get a newer truck with the newer headlight design.

However, I'm still looking at different years as well. I've heard the 5.0 is noticeably better than the 5.4, but the truck with 5.4 is a loaded King Ranch. The leather isn't really my thing, even though it's nice. But I think I'd much rather have the folding down seat in the middle, instead of the console found on the King Ranch.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:04 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by derek4343
I downgraded to save some money after loosing my job. I've owned three trucks with the 5.4 and the newer engines beat it in every single way. I loved that 3.5eb engine and it killed me to sell it.

I highly recommend anyone who can afford to get a 5.0 or the Ecoboost do that. The 5.4L engine isn't comparable in power or fuel economy or reliability.

I'm very impressed with the GM 6.0L gas engine. I prefer the rest of the Ford truck but that's a good engine.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:48 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
My father went from an '09 5.4 to a '13 5.0 truck... both long box crews with 3.55 gears, the 5.0 totally spanks the 5.4 not even close and gets fantasic milage. And that sound that alone makes it all worthwhile.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:17 AM
BBD
Freshman User
Can someone please double check the towing capacity on a truck I'm considering?

It's a 2011, F150 with 5.0, 3.55 axles, 145 WB. From what I pulled up, it's rated for 7,700 lbs. Is that right.

I know it's a little bit light on the capacity. But my Jeep is 4,100 lbs, trailer is 2,000 lbs. And maybe add 400 lbs of tools and gear, so the trailer is 6,500 lbs. 7,700 lbs - 6,500 = 1,200 lbs for safety.

I could put the tools and gear in the bed instead of trailer, and I'd definitely get a weight disturbing hitch. I tend to be conservative when it comes to this stuff, but I think I can live with this. Am I missing anything.

EDIT: FordEtis says truck has "With Heavy Duty Trailer Towing". Is that the tow package?

Thank you.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:28 AM
SoonerLS
Senior User
Originally Posted by BBD
Thanks, that's a very good start. Question is, a couple of trucks I'm interested in, both have B6 for axle. But online I see B6 can mean 3.55 or 3.73 axle ratio.
Go here:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/
That'll let you download a PDF of the towing guide that include the tow rating matrix for each year (they currently cover '03-'18). That guide also includes the axle codes for that year.

I didn't check all of the years, but on all the ones I checked ('09, '12, '13), B6 was a 3.73 limited slip in the F-150.

Quick Reply: Determining towing capacity