1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZF5 VS ZF6

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 01:50 PM
Roysbigtoys
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZF5 VS ZF6

I have a 2000 F250 4X4, 5.4 gas with the ZF5 tranny. I push snow with it....,since new it has sucked getting into reverse. Is the ZF6 better for getting into reverse? Will the ZF6 bolt up to my old truck?
Thanks for help!

Old 12-31-2017, 06:31 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
Check your clutch pedal bushing. It is common to fail and not allow full disengagement of the clutch making it hard to get in reverse, this is a common issue with the ZF6 also.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:16 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Um, based on the section you're in, your truck isn't "old". It's newer than anything discussed here.

But +1 above, +more; there are several reasons "external" to the tranny that can make shifting difficult. Bailing for a whole other transmission is a bit overkill at this point. Start with pedal/pushrod bushing pedal box bushings, hydraulics check, etc. How old is the tranny lube, and have you checked the level?

Ultimately, however, you'll get more responses in the section relative to your truck's year and model and engine type

Old 01-01-2018, 07:18 AM
Roysbigtoys
New User
Thank you for your response 00t444e.
Which side of the fire wall is the bushing? Is it very difficult to change out? Just curious....... how does your ZF6 shift into reverse?
Again thanks for your help.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:37 AM
Roysbigtoys
New User
madpogue

Of course I am a newbie to the forum,,,,,, not sure how to do anything on here........which forum should I have asked my questions? ( I thought "1999 to 2016 Super Duty" should cover my truck.)
I will start with tranny lube and changing the pedal bushing, but like I stated it never has shifted easily into reverse.
Thanks for your help.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:49 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
You originally posted in the '94-'97 Powerstroke section. A moderator moved it to this section. Nice feature of the forums (and the folks who help run them).

The bushings are all in the cab. Slide under there and work the pedal and you'll see what moves on what. Look for sloppiness. Your year of truck may be different from the earlier ones, so I won't say exactly what mine look like, as it may not apply.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:54 AM
Roysbigtoys
New User
Originally Posted by madpogue
You originally posted in the '94-'97 Powerstroke section. A moderator moved it to this section. Nice feature of the forums (and the folks who help run them).

The bushings are all in the cab. Slide under there and work the pedal and you'll see what moves on what. Look for sloppiness. Your year of truck may be different from the earlier ones, so I won't say exactly what mine look like, as it may not apply.
Thank goodness for the moderators! I must of accidentally clicked on the wrong section to start with.
Thanks again.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:14 AM
00t444e
Cargo Master
The clutch pedal bushing is on the inside of the truck where the clutch pedal connects to the rod for the slave cylinder. It is easy to change and most auto parts stores have the part. If that doesn't help then you may need a new hydraulic assembly, or you may have other issues. My ZF6 goes into reverse just fine as long as I am at a complete stop.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:40 AM
Roysbigtoys
New User
Originally Posted by 00t444e
The clutch pedal bushing is on the inside of the truck where the clutch pedal connects to the rod for the slave cylinder. It is easy to change and most auto parts stores have the part. If that doesn't help then you may need a new hydraulic assembly, or you may have other issues. My ZF6 goes into reverse just fine as long as I am at a complete stop.
I will check out the bushings.....it doesn't sounds too bad.
My ZF5 will go into reverse about 40-50% of the time at a complete stop, but I can shift into reverse 70-80% of the time if barely moving. Your ZF6 going into reverse consistently at a dead stop would great. I am not sure I want to put a lot money in a truck with 306k on it......but it sucks when pushing snow for hours....having to clutch....double clutch....sometimes a third time just to get it in gear. At the end of a snow event I would pay almost anything for a good shifting tranny!
Thanks again.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:26 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Roysbigtoys
....but it sucks when pushing snow for hours....having to clutch....double clutch....sometimes a third time just to get it in gear.
Okay, picture this for a moment. Literally relive the last few times this happened when plowing. When you mash the clutch multiple times trying to shift, does the pedal feel different each time? More resistance with each push? If so, what **MIGHT** be happening is that you have an internal leak in the master or slave. First press, little slave action, can't shift. Each successive press, you're able to build pressure and eventually the slave moves further and you can shift.

In fact, next time, rather than trying to shift each time, just deliberately pump the clutch 4-5 times, then see if that helps.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:16 PM
Roysbigtoys
New User
Originally Posted by madpogue
Okay, picture this for a moment. Literally relive the last few times this happened when plowing. When you mash the clutch multiple times trying to shift, does the pedal feel different each time? More resistance with each push? If so, what **MIGHT** be happening is that you have an internal leak in the master or slave. First press, little slave action, can't shift. Each successive press, you're able to build pressure and eventually the slave moves further and you can shift.

In fact, next time, rather than trying to shift each time, just deliberately pump the clutch 4-5 times, then see if that helps.
When I step on the clutch, the tranny will stop spinning and if I do not get it into gear I have let it out and spin it and step on the clutch again and see if the gears mesh and go into reverse..... repeat.. repeat.... That is why I think it is my tranny giving me my problem
But I will take notice of what think might be happening with the master or slave cylinders when I am using it again.
Thanks for the help.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:18 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Is it hard to get into reverse with the truck turned off?

Old 01-03-2018, 11:53 PM
Rory428
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I only recently found out about this clutch pedal/master cylinder bushing issue myself, getting the ZF 5 speed in my 99 F350 into reverse or 1rst gear was frustrating. I found out about the bushing, and when I operated the clutch pedal with my head under the dash, the slop was obvious. Since the bushing is missing, and the hole in the pedal is egg shaped, I am looking at getting the kit where you cut off the end of the clutch master cylinder pushrod, and replace it with with a Heim end.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:14 AM
Roysbigtoys
New User
Originally Posted by 00t444e
Is it hard to get into reverse with the truck turned off?
It depends....if the gears are lined up no........if they are lined up it slides right in.
I haven't had a minute to look at my clutch pedal bushing, but I was thinking.....if my bushings are bad wouldn't that make it hard to shift into any gear? I have no problems with shifting into any other gear.....just reverse gives me trouble.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:19 AM
Roysbigtoys
New User
Originally Posted by Rory428
I only recently found out about this clutch pedal/master cylinder bushing issue myself, getting the ZF 5 speed in my 99 F350 into reverse or 1rst gear was frustrating. I found out about the bushing, and when I operated the clutch pedal with my head under the dash, the slop was obvious. Since the bushing is missing, and the hole in the pedal is egg shaped, I am looking at getting the kit where you cut off the end of the clutch master cylinder pushrod, and replace it with with a Heim end.
Please let me know what kind of how big of job cutting /replacing the ends and what kind of results you get.
Thanks

Quick Reply: ZF5 VS ZF6