1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cupped tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 10:40 AM
Lawnpro979
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cupped tires

Has anyone had this happen?

noticed my front tires were making a loud noise, checked them and they were cupped. “ a new term to me”
learned it was because of worn shocks, replaced with Bilstiens, also replaced all tie rod ends, they were in bad shape.
Breaks, routers, have ball joints on the way. “ waiting for good weather”

my question is: will the cupped tires ever go back to smoothe?
Was thinking about moving them to the rear, the rear tires will need replacing in a few,
when the truck was purchased they would only purchase 2 tires at a time, so rotation was kind of not an option.
the cupped ones have about 60 to 70% tread left.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:43 AM
Lawnpro979
Senior User
After the repairs I drove the truck about 300 miles for a trip at Christmas, it would be smoothe around 50-60 MPH.
but up higher it was weird....

Old 12-29-2017, 10:53 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
once cupped.. they will NEVER return to normal.. unless you have the tires ground on a machine. "Re-True".
and I do not think that is done anymore.

they cupped because of non normal movement of wheel/tire... all 3 axis .. not axles.

everything from wheel out of balance. to suspension and/or steering parts being bad.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:23 AM
Lawnpro979
Senior User
Yea. Was thinking of moving them to the back and burning off around corners...

this may be a GREAT time to replace all 4...

yes many steering parts were worn. Ive had the truck for 12 years and have really done nothing to it.

hoping to get 12 more years out of it.

thanks for reply

Old 12-29-2017, 01:02 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
yes you can rotate... will help... some.

cupping is a double edged sword ,, the more they cup.. the more damage to steering parts. and the more damage to steering parts the more tires cup...

Old 12-29-2017, 05:26 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck came with one seriously cupped tire. Alignment off, original shocks and stabilizer, nearly 300,000 miles on the rig.

Speed increases cupping too. But I'm OK with blaming shocks, worn suspension parts, wheel balance, and alignment. I also know the PO drove this truck fast.

They will never get true again by rotating, but rotating often also reduces cupping. Worth noting if you do regularly drive fast.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:01 PM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
It used to be common to have machines at tire stores that would shave the tire round, much like a lathe.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:37 PM
44dwarf
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any big truck tire place will have a tire shaver as will most "race shops", if you replace the shocks and run cupped tires you will kill the new shocks in short time.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:06 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Cupped tires aren't always a result of worn front end parts. I owned one duty that always cupped the front tires. This happened with multiple different brand tires and multiple trips to the shop. I rotated the tires on that duty every 10,000km [6k miles] and that helped me get max life out of my rubber.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:30 PM
Lawnpro979
Senior User
I think I’m gonna try to see if the tires are under warnetee. I think there 6 or 8 months old.

its worth a try....

thanks for all the reply’s

Old 12-30-2017, 07:59 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
They will not warranty uneven tread wear. You can try, but it's gonna be "no dice". Sorry to say your only option is to replace the tires. I'd do all 4 as a set.

That being said, you need to sort out your truck first, before you put another new set of tires on them and trash those too. It won't take long to put an uneven wear on a brand new set of tires if your front end is hosed.

Take it to a GOOD front end shop, one that does a lot of trucks, and have them go through it. Steering components, shocks, bushings, even wheel bearings (if they get bad enough), all can contribute to uneven tire wear.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:11 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
once cupped.. they will NEVER return to normal.. unless you have the tires ground on a machine. "Re-True".
and I do not think that is done anymore.

they cupped because of non normal movement of wheel/tire... all 3 axis .. not axles.

everything from wheel out of balance. to suspension and/or steering parts being bad.
Originally Posted by redford
It used to be common to have machines at tire stores that would shave the tire round, much like a lathe.
I am glad, someone else remembers them...

Old 12-30-2017, 04:16 PM
billybobofkf
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive a hyrail railroad vehicle that cups tires very quickly. I rotate tires often. It helps, but the cupping does not go away when they are rotated to the back wheels. Supposedly the extra front end weight of the hyrail gear contributes to the problem. I'm waiting until I get a new set of tires to get a good front end rebuild and see if that solves the issue. I have also had cupping on my personal rig, a dually that did not have the front wheels rotated because it had aluminum wheels. I have since gone back to steel wheels so that I can rotate tires as necessary. I have noticed that once the cupping first shows up it gets worse very quickly. I have been able to slow the process by vigilantly inspecting the tires and rotating them as soon as I notice cupping.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:28 PM
Lawnpro979
Senior User
Originally Posted by billybobofkf
I drive a hyrail railroad vehicle that cups tires very quickly. I rotate tires often. It helps, but the cupping does not go away when they are rotated to the back wheels. Supposedly the extra front end weight of the hyrail gear contributes to the problem. I'm waiting until I get a new set of tires to get a good front end rebuild and see if that solves the issue. I have also had cupping on my personal rig, a dually that did not have the front wheels rotated because it had aluminum wheels. I have since gone back to steel wheels so that I can rotate tires as necessary. I have noticed that once the cupping first shows up it gets worse very quickly. I have been able to slow the process by vigilantly inspecting the tires and rotating them as soon as I notice cupping.
Yes. It kind of snuck up on me. The tires are about 1.5 yrs old. The next thing I knew they were getting very loud. Inspected them and WOW! This doesn’t make me look good, but I started inspecting, found shocks shot, tie rod ends. And ball joints. The truck was just getting wore out....I’m waiting on good weather to replace the ball joints, that’s the last thing on my list. Besides tires, and alignment....Owing a landscaping company, I dont really inspect as I should. But w live and learn.....

Old 12-30-2017, 04:29 PM
Lawnpro979
Senior User
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
They will not warranty uneven tread wear. You can try, but it's gonna be "no dice". Sorry to say your only option is to replace the tires. I'd do all 4 as a set.

That being said, you need to sort out your truck first, before you put another new set of tires on them and trash those too. It won't take long to put an uneven wear on a brand new set of tires if your front end is hosed.

Take it to a GOOD front end shop, one that does a lot of trucks, and have them go through it. Steering components, shocks, bushings, even wheel bearings (if they get bad enough), all can contribute to uneven tire wear.
Yea. I know. But its worth a try

Quick Reply: Cupped tires