2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Locking PEP inside the truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 07:43 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
Locking PEP inside the truck

I just bought a 2017 Platinum,. It of course comes with the Keyless push button start.

I ride my horses a LOT. Often times I'm parked at the of a 30 mile dirt road and I spend several days in the back country. I would really hate to loose my keys. It's often a 30-40 mile hike to just get a cell signal and then you could be waiting hours for a wrecker or somebody to come help.

So I usually leave my keys hidden inside the truck and use the number pad on the door to access it after the ride.

The same story for when I sometimes have somebody shuttle my rig to the opposite end of the trail. I just have them lock the keys inside and I used the code to open the doors.

I'm just starting to read thru the manual and maybe it will answer my question. But is it possible to keep a spare key or leave a key inside the truck and lock it and leave it?

For 50 years that I have been driving, I've always had a Hide-a-key hidden under the truck someplace so If I got locked out, I always had a spare. Old habits die hard.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:18 PM
nbayless36
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bottom 2 buttons on the numbered key pad at the same time will lock the keys inside the cab

Old 12-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yup. just leave the key inside, and use the 7/8 and 9/0 keys at the same time on your keypad to lock the door... then just keypad to unlock when you need back in.

if you lock the door using the inside lock button, it will blast the horn at you and unlock. Have to use the keypad to lock the door with the fob inside. Do it all the time.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:20 PM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts
Yes, you can lock the key fob in the truck using the keypad. Hide the key, shut the door, then press the bottom two buttons at the same time to lock up. Unlock with the key pad or another key fob like normal.

Just know that if someone forces open the lock, they don’t need to find the hidden key, just push the button and drive away (since the key is in the cab).

Old 12-28-2017, 08:21 PM
nbayless36
Senior User
Also add a 5 to the end of your code and it drops the tailgate

Old 12-28-2017, 08:52 PM
K A M
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
But if someone breaks in all they have to do is press the start button.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:22 PM
cdnfireman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get an RFID blocking bag to put the key in before you hide it in the truck. The bag keeps the key fob from communicating with the truck. That way if someone were to break into the truck they couldn’t start it without first finding the key and taking it out of the bag. I’ve always hidden a key on my truck as well and with a new platinum on order, I’m gonna be faced with the same dilemma.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:35 PM
VA13FX4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdnfireman
Get an RFID blocking bag to put the key in before you hide it in the truck. The bag keeps the key fob from communicating with the truck. That way if someone were to break into the truck they couldn’t start it without first finding the key and taking it out of the bag. I’ve always hidden a key on my truck as well and with a new platinum on order, I’m gonna be faced with the same dilemma.
BRILLIANT! I love this forum.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:40 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Other option would be to remove the battery from the fob.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:51 PM
pwm
Freshman User
Search amazon for faraday cage key sleeve. There are a lot of options.

-bill

PS- perfect idea!

Old 12-29-2017, 06:56 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cdnfireman
Wrap the key in a generous amount of tin foil. Should work just as well, and cheaper.

Unless the crook is looking for week old lasagna.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:42 AM
specracer
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pull up the rubber mat at the bottom of the rectangular compartment just to the left of the cup holder (not the forward one with the retractable cover where the USB ports are), there is a slot for the key intended for your scenario of leaving a key in the truck.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:49 AM
USSenator
Elder User
Originally Posted by specracer
Pull up the rubber mat at the bottom of the rectangular compartment just to the left of the cup holder (not the forward one with the retractable cover where the USB ports are), there is a slot for the key intended for your scenario of leaving a key in the truck.
I think the slot is for when the key fob batteries run out.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:11 AM
grege
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pwm
Search amazon for faraday cage key sleeve. There are a lot of options.

-bill

PS- perfect idea!
Hadn't really thought about this since I have a traditional key with my F150. Interesting idea.

Is anybody using one of these? If so, which brand? My F250 will be parked outside so probably a good idea for me to get one and use it.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:12 AM
VoodooRob
Senior User
Originally Posted by USSenator
I think the slot is for when the key fob batteries run out.
^^^^ This is correct. Also to communicate to get the secret code for the keypad, it takes switching both fobs in and out of this tray to get the code.

Quick Reply: Locking PEP inside the truck