2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Factory Navigation - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 01:34 PM
KIKKUP
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Factory Navigation - worth it?

I'm about to order a new XLT. The Nav is another $570 option and I am trying to control the rising cost. I know skipping some options can be super expensive if wanting to add them after the truck is built. I have the Nav in my 11 Mustang and its okay but the Google map navigation is pretty good if not better in some cases. When it was new, I was also able to see traffic congestion and alerts at the touch of a button which was nice and no fumbling with a phone.

The newer generation Sync is better and I was hopeful that I could just use the apps on my phone via Apple car play but it looks like you can't add mapping or navigation. I presume its so they can get you to buy the factory option? Maybe there is something else I am not considering.

I've used the Nav to get somewhere maybe a dozen times a year, maybe more frequent in the future.

As you can see, I am going back and forth. What do you think get it or pass?

Old 12-23-2017, 01:56 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 948 Likes on 583 Posts
It's nice in the fact that it's integrated into the factory unit for a nice clean look. I have it, but the truck was on the lot with the option.
It's my understanding from posters here that the maps in many cases are outdated or inaccurate with no way to update them.
If ordering, maybe it's better to get the lowest budget factory head unit and then spend the money on an easily updatable aftermarket unit. Even the over air or downloaded SYNC updates don't take care of the maps. Or they have not so far.
Just beware of the updates on aftermarket though. I had one that could be updated every so often, but they wanted about $70 a crack to do it. My stand alone Garmin has had several updates by plugging it into my desktop computer and using the Garmin Express app. So far they've all been free.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:27 PM
VA13FX4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually use my navigation all the time. I didn’t have it in my 13 150 and just use my smart phone all the time. My older Chevy and my wife’s brand new Honda both have navigation and they suck a lot. The navigation and this is actually pretty dang good. It is super easy to use with voice commands and hasn’t gotten me lost yet.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:20 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
I have the nav in mine and Apple car play allows me to use Google maps or the mapping app that came on the phone. I've run the native nav and Google maps on the phone at the same time to check the system since I have heard the Ford nav is not good. So far the two have gotten me to the destination at the same time, with neither recommending a different route. However, they do handle turns a bit differently - where Google maps might say "keep left ahead" the Ford nav might say "turn left ahead". Other than that, not much difference that I've seen.
I don't know if you can get the 8 inch screen and sync 3 without Ford nav.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Robb81
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was on the XLT I bought off the lot. I probably would not have ordered it, but I do use it a lot.

Traffic alerts are slower and less accurate than google maps so if I'm headed through an area prone to traffic problems I use google mostly.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:38 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I'm still using the Sync2 in my 2015. So take this with a grain of salt.

I like having the Ford Nav because it puts a 7-8" map on the dash. I can use it for an idea of how close turn are EVEN if I have not added a destination. Sometimes out in the mountains and I'm looking for road to go left. I amazed that forest service and blm roads are in the maps.

That said, the mapping software is usually current the year you buy the truck and they charge $1xx to upgrade it. So I have never upgraded any of my Ford Nav.

Here in Utah, I find the Voice Activated software sucks. Utah uses a Grid system for a lot of it's cities. 4810 S 2350 W is a valid address. The voice recognition just doesn't get that. 4810 S Peachtree would work. But it really confuses the Voice software to get to coordinates for an address. If I stop and manually enter the addresses, The system find them. Now that may have been fixed in Sync3

I have used the Travel Services to find diesel when I'm on road trips. You can see that there is fuel at this exit and nothing for the next 5 exits. etc.

So with that said, I'd probably spend the $570 just to have it in the truck.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:23 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Well, either I mis-spoke or I messed something up on my truck/phone...
I had disabled Apple Car Play in order to be able to use the Ford navigation and Google maps at the same time. It just took me forever to figure out how to re-enable it.
I've got car play working again, and I can use the Ford navigation or I can use the "Maps" app on the phone, but I can't get Google maps to display/run on the truck's display. Could have sworn I had a choice of the three before but perhaps I'm mistaken.
Anyway, I took a couple screen shots of what the Ford nav looks like compared to the Apple maps.
I had forgotten the Ford nav also has added functionality, like finding fuel.
The Apple map is the darker of the two. Why, I don't know...

Attached Images     
Old 12-23-2017, 04:26 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
One irritation about the Ford nav is that it'll tell you what time you are going to arrive, but it doesn't tell you how many miles are left.
Though the other screens are quite useful.
So, I'd have to say that yes, it's worth it.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:30 PM
ctimrun
Tuned
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
The factory NAV sucks, half the streets in my neighborhood which have been established for several years are not in the factory nav. Apple CarPlay with their maps or better yet android auto with waze is the best option. I wouldn’t (and didn’t) waste any money on the outdated factory nav.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:38 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Don't waste your money, the factory nav is terrible and it's only going to get worse as time goes on. Google Maps or Waze through Android auto is waaaaay better/easier to use/alerts you to cops, is always updated, etc.

I got the 8" Sync without nav, just plug my phone in and it boots to Android auto.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:23 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
One irritation about the Ford nav is that it'll tell you what time you are going to arrive, but it doesn't tell you how many miles are left.

Yes it does tell you miles and drive time remaining,...just push on the “arrive time” and it will alternate to which you prefer.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:31 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by srkr
Yes it does tell you miles and drive time remaining,...just push on the “arrive time” and it will alternate to which you prefer.
I suspected it would be something simple like that.

Thanks!

Old 12-23-2017, 06:26 PM
spadoc
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrival Info

Originally Posted by wrvond
If you touch the eta it will switch between time and miles

Old 12-23-2017, 06:39 PM
jsavelli
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought my XL had NAV since I upgraded sync3. It dont. IMO everything w sync3 should have everything.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:15 PM
KIKKUP
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow awesome response, thanks to everyone who did. I appreciate your input.

Now, I'm not sure what to do so maybe I'll flip a coin or something. Looks like some use it and like it while others not so much. Such is life right. The one point WRVOND brings up is the disabling car play etc to re-enable the factory nav. I guess I am a little confused on just how that works or if the car play wants to "take over". Seems like its a pain to switch back and forth. I dunno but I could swing into the dealership and get some clarification on that functionality before I order.

Quick Reply: Factory Navigation - worth it?