6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 f250 6.4 surging/stalling

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 07:28 AM
Txbrad68
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 f250 6.4 surging/stalling

I recently bought a 2008 F250 6.4 L with 112,000 miles on it and automatic transmission and have been experiencing some issues. First time Truck broke down, it was resolved by replacing the exhaust back pressure sensor, and the high pressure fuel pump. Second time the truck broke down, the issue was resolved by replacing the fuel tank pressure sensor. These issues have occurred back to back and the truck has been in the ford stealership shop more than I have had it. The next day after picking it up from the shop, I noticed surging during idle, occasional lack of power at throttle, and the truck stalled while driving 15mph shortly after warming up. The truck started back up fine and drove well after but continues to stall and have rough idle the next times I drive it. No codes are present. Any ideas?

-Brad

Old 12-22-2017, 08:58 AM
73F700
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When is the last time that both fuel filters were changed?
I assume that they would have been changed when the hpfp was done - the tank should have been flushed at that time as well. If it wasn't then it would be good to do it now.
A aftermarket programmer that allows you to watch the fuel pressure, along with all other temps, etc. would be a wise investment

Old 12-22-2017, 01:22 PM
Txbrad68
Freshman User
I plan on changing the fuel filters this weekend. Along with an oil change. Ford called back and found that the truck was tuned with a programmer as I suspected.i am going to try and reset to factory setting andl hopefully fix the problem.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:15 AM
Txbrad68
Freshman User
Resetting to factory setting is impossible right now according to the mechanic since the truck didn’t come with the programmer equipment and also the dpf has been deleted and the egr has been bypassed . What do y’all recommend?should I throw in another programmer or try my best to reset to factory by reinstalling a new dpf and egr? To my knowledge, a new programmer is cheaper.

thanks

Old 12-23-2017, 01:22 PM
73F700
Senior User
Don't go back to dpf and egr if you can help it - get a programmer and retune the truck if you wish, most importantly get a programmer with gauges so that you can watch EGT, Oil Temp, Fuel Pressure, etc. If you look on amazon there is likely a scan tool that you can monitor these without having to pay for a programmer. One example is Bluedriver - approx. 100 bucks, plugs into your obd and you put an app on your phone to read the temps. Great for troubleshooting.

My thinking is that your current issues are not related to the tuning. Fuel supply pressure would be my guess based on what you have said. Are you in a cold climate? Any chance of gelling? Start with the filters and go from there.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:09 PM
Txbrad68
Freshman User
No I am in North Carolina and temps have been 40-70 degrees. Great idea about the monitoring system. I will update as soon as I change out the fuel filters tomorrow. I’ll croos my fingers

Old 12-23-2017, 07:11 PM
73F700
Senior User
I should have mentioned in my last post - only use Motorcraft (Ford) filters -These trucks are very sensitive that way

My current driver is a 2008 F350 with the 6.4 and when I purchased it approx 4 months ago it had the surging at idle symptom. It was on factory tuning at the time. I gave it a complete service including fuel filters and the symptom went away and hasn't come back. The underhood filter on it was a napa brand, I forget which one, but the cap is part of the filter. So I had to order a motorcraft cap to return it to the proper filter. I'm not saying that the aftermarket filter caused the surging on its own, more likely was not changed often enough, but it was while I had an aftermarket fuel filter that I had the surging issue.

Since then I have removed the dpf and put an aftermarket tune on the truck in a vain attempt to add to the lifespan of the motor...

Old 12-23-2017, 10:08 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Moved to the 6.4L forum.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:23 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even though you are in slightly warmer environment, your descriptions indicate that the motor is starving for fuel. Some suggestions to keep in mind:

- fuel filters every 10k
- lift pump in tank could be failing
- sludge in tank could be clogging the intake screen for the lift pump

I hope things work out quickly as you do not want to starve that new HPFP.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:26 PM
Txbrad68
Freshman User
Update: I went outside to move the truck to the driveway this morning to change out the fuel filters/ oil change/ and oil filter( all motorcraft) . The truck stalled immediately twice. I replaced both fuel filters and let the system prime itself and Truck started up fine with out surging. I let it idle for about 5 min and no surging. I hope this was the fix. The upper fuel filter was not dirty but I did notice maybe small amount of metal shaving in the housing and some build up on the bottom. I vacuumed it out and wiped it down the best I could before placing in the new filter. The bottom fuel filter looked to have a small tear in the mesh cover but idk if it would be enough to cause anything. The fuel that drained from it looked to have small amount of water and some debris. Again idk if it would be enough to cause issues. I will try to post the pictures and see what y’all think. I also noticed that the aftermarket K&N air filter is extremely dirty. I will be replacing this soon. I hope this was the fix. I am going to be starting it at least 3x a day for the next couple days before i take it out of my neighborhood. What do y’all think about the metal shavings and build up?

Old 12-24-2017, 02:46 PM
Txbrad68
Freshman User
Alright here are the photos of my findings. Would this be bad enough to cause the truck to run different?

Old 12-24-2017, 03:48 PM
73F700
Senior User
Can you recall the total scope of work when they replaced the hpfp? i.e. did they simply r&r the pump itself or did they give any attention to the rest of the fuel system?

It is normal for these shavings to be sent through the whole system when the hpfp fails. When it is fixed the whole system should be cleaned for the sake of the new pump. If this wasn't done then that is why you are seeing the shavings now. Also likely why filters are getting full. As long as the filters are doing their job your new pump should be fine.

If you are able to I would highly recommend dropping the fuel tank and doing a proper clean.

If your system was properly cleaned at the time of the hpfp replacement then I would be concerned about new shavings in that quantity..

Old 12-24-2017, 04:03 PM
Txbrad68
Freshman User
Ford did not flush the fuel system after hpfp replacement and that makes since about the shavings. I can try and look into how to drop and clean the fuel tank properly. Is this something ford should have covered?

Old 12-24-2017, 04:34 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How long ago was HPFP replaced? How many miles?

I’m glad the filter change made a difference.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:18 PM
Txbrad68
Freshman User
Hpfp and exhaust back pressure sensor replaced at 112,816 miles, pick up sender assembly replaced at 112,914 miles, and surging/ stalling occurred right after

Quick Reply: 2008 f250 6.4 surging/stalling