Contemplating 97 7.3L Supercab Dually Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 04:00 AM
limerence
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contemplating 97 7.3L Supercab Dually Purchase

Hi Guys,

Wife and I moved into a new place and I thought it would be good to buy a pickup to haul stuff when buying from home depot to work on the house. Not any major renovation, just weekend warrior stuff and I want learn to do woodworking. So I started looking at my dream truck the 97 CCLB (never driven one but always loved the look). Prices are just crazy. Seen some sell on eBay for 23k. Pretty damn amazing for a 20 year old truck.

Anyhow, I was going to give up the search when I came across a 97 Supercab Dually. Like I said, I've never driven these trucks and currently have a 99 E350 Chateau Van (that in theory I can haul stuff with but the wife is actually ok with me looking at a truck). Thoughts jumping around in my head are:

Pros:
- 140k miles
- Asking price is 7k obo (not sure if this is a pro, might just be to me that it seems so much cheaper in comparison to CCLB)
- Two tone (light blue and white), one of my fave color combos

Cons:
- Expecting first child next year, so supercab might be tight for car seat?
- DRW - dont know if I will ever tow anything where DRW is needed (might be nice just knowing that its there should i ever tow anything big? but parking might be a pain?)

With that said, was hoping for advice from you guys to talk me in/out of considering it. Trying to staying under 10k since the truck will see minimal usage. Dont know if I can justify if I went higher, unless it was a cherry 97 CCLB for only a little more. I know it might be a tough number to meet since even 2004 v6 Tacomas (short beds though... ehhh) with low miles are $10k+

Thanks in advance.
-John

Old 12-19-2017, 06:28 AM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
If you are planning to haul a litttle one around I would find a crew cab. Rear facing car seats take up a lot of room and with the rear door not opening on an extended cab that will be a pain. Sounds like you have the time wait for the right one to come along so be patient and buy what you want.
Are you willing to travel for one?

Old 12-19-2017, 09:19 AM
limerence
Senior User
Originally Posted by 97-psd
Are you willing to travel for one?
Hi Ben, yes I would be open to traveling to get one without rust.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:22 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
DRW also carries a fuel economy penalty, BTW, along with the obvious ongoing tire expense penalty.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:34 AM
limerence
Senior User
Originally Posted by madpogue
DRW also carries a fuel economy penalty, BTW, along with the obvious ongoing tire expense penalty.
Yep, I thought about that and brakes too (not sure if brakes get eatin up quicker since its DRW) The thing is, I see at least a $10k swing between CCLB and this Supercab DRW and asking myself if the difference is worth it given the usage. ughhh...

Here is the one for sale.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:23 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
While that is a good price for the truck, it's not a totally awesome go get it today price. I waited for almost a year to find my CCSB I wanted, totally worth the wait.

Also, if you want 4wd, the cost to convert this truck would be pretty steep.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:33 PM
limerence
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
While that is a good price for the truck, it's not a totally awesome go get it today price. I waited for almost a year to find my CCSB I wanted, totally worth the wait.

Also, if you want 4wd, the cost to convert this truck would be pretty steep.
Thanks Jarrett.

Negotiations are hovering around 6k for it now. Does that make it a steal yet? However, it is an out of state purchase but a west coast truck its entire life.

Thanks for pointing out the 4wd, I am not going wheeling or taking it to the snow for me to need it?

Old 12-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,172 Likes on 953 Posts
Thumbs up

I just picked up an EC dually/ZF myself, mine was $3k...but a bit clapped out in appearance. Interior decent. Ran quite well, but needed a lot of little stuff. I have about $2500 into it on top of purchase, hell seven good tires were about $1200 (go with 245/75R16...way more choices, nearly identical height). Two batteries were nearly $400. Radio was dead, big deal. HVAC totally dead, needed a fan switch, blower motor, and an AC recharge. Around $100 for that including buying the EVTM.

Truck you are looking at also has Alcoas. Big plus to me, I want a set bad. Should be faster and better economy than one with steel wheels. Just less rotational mass to move.

140k is nice, hope it has records if private seller. Mine was in the back of a used car lot. Look at the front end linkage close same goes for rear. If it has been replaced you will know. If not, good stuff from Moog is not expensive at all.

Most of the crew cabs in my area are clapped out as they have been used in construction and other service industry jobs for years.

Hope it helped, probably not.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:04 PM
limerence
Senior User
It does help. Thanks Hit Man.

I'm going to have a pre-purchase inspection done so I know upfront what I am up against. Would want to know in advance if I have to put a couple grand into it other than tires.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:10 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,172 Likes on 953 Posts
Thumbs up

If you purchase the rig and need tires, Discount Tire always has great deals around major holidays. I saved $220 on my set buying them over a holiday weekend. I use their silly in-store credit card and save $60 (also receive 0% interest financing if you care). High quality tires (Bridgestone, Michelin, etc) usually save $100. At times certain manufacturers also have promos, in my case Bridgestone had $60 more in the mail. Worked for me!

Old 12-19-2017, 07:14 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I hope it works out for you. I would wait and find what you want. You will never regret buying what you dream of. And I think you would enjoy a crew cab

Old 12-19-2017, 08:01 PM
limerence
Senior User
Originally Posted by 97-psd
I hope it works out for you. I would wait and find what you want. You will never regret buying what you dream of. And I think you would enjoy a crew cab
Words of wisdom, thanks Ben. I'll see how things play out. I am sure he has other buyers. If it works out, it works out. If I end up do picking this one up, could also serve as a stand in until a good crew cab turns up. The thing about crew cabs is that sooo many people look for them religiously on a daily basis that its very hard to get a good deal on one. I remember calling within 20 mins of a CL ad posting and the seller told me I was the third caller that morning. WTH!

Would love to own one like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkMG...ature=youtu.be

Old 12-19-2017, 08:02 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Looks beautiful to me, just like mine
!

Old 12-19-2017, 09:08 PM
quesey
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I like 4 doors over a excab.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:16 PM
quesey
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Seen this 1 at a local car lot sunday. 106000 and was a 1owner garage kept truck

Quick Reply: Contemplating 97 7.3L Supercab Dually Purchase