Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

No Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
No Start

I picked up an 89 to steel some parts and sell off the rest but I wanted to get the truck running(worth a bit more running). It has sat for about 2-3 years.

I had to put batteries, starter and starter solenoid in it.

Cranks over strong.

I am giving it wiffs of ether but it doesnt even want to fart. Nothing, just turns over.

Has banks turbo kit if that makes any difference

Suggestions?

I just plugged the block heater in to let it sit for an hour or two and see if that makes any difference

Old 12-17-2017, 12:21 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I picked up an 89 to steel some parts and sell off the rest but I wanted to get the truck running(worth a bit more running). It has sat for about 2-3 years.

Cranks over strong.

I am giving it wiffs of ether but it doesnt even want to fart. Nothing, just turns over.

Suggestions?

I just plugged the block heater in to let it sit for an hour or two and see if that makes any difference
Get a cheap electric fuel pump and by pass the mechanical fuel pump. That should rule out any possibility of it not pushing fuel. Or just replace the mechanical fuel pump it’s only like 40$ your choice. Sound like that’s the only thing you haven’t checked. All though it is kind of strange that the ether didn’t bump it even a tad.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:37 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jmuenchow
Get a cheap electric fuel pump and by pass the mechanical fuel pump. That should rule out any possibility of it not pushing fuel. Or just replace the mechanical fuel pump it’s only like 40$ your choice. Sound like that’s the only thing you haven’t checked. All though it is kind of strange that the ether didn’t bump it even a tad.
I was just going to gravity feed the IP from a washer jug before I spend any more money

Old 12-17-2017, 03:11 PM
mroth2008
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cranks over strong.

Suggestions?

Their is a schrader valve on the fuel filter hold it open crank see if their is fuel pumping. Number two check their is power going to the fuel shut off on the ip. Three crack some injectors hold the metering valve wide open and crank it over till you start seeing fuel. Tighten injectors back down. Do 3 or 4 of em. Plugging it in will help loads to help start. And you pull the fuel filter off and see if it full or partially full and filling it up will help with priming.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:43 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by mroth2008
Their is a schrader valve on the fuel filter hold it open crank see if their is fuel pumping. Number two check their is power going to the fuel shut off on the ip. Three crack some injectors hold the metering valve wide open and crank it over till you start seeing fuel. Tighten injectors back down. Do 3 or 4 of em. Plugging it in will help loads to help start. And you pull the fuel filter off and see if it full or partially full and filling it up will help with priming.
maybe next weekend, I am out of daylight

Old 12-17-2017, 07:27 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
One thing not to overlook - FSS on the injection pump. Key on, disconnect and reconnect the terminal, you should hear it click on and off.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:22 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
But it did not try to start on starting fluid. Would a bad FSS do that?

Old 12-19-2017, 04:29 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by madpogue
One thing not to overlook - FSS on the injection pump. Key on, disconnect and reconnect the terminal, you should hear it click on and off.

Kind hard to hear anything click over the GP relay but I will check it

Originally Posted by hturner12
But it did not try to start on starting fluid. Would a bad FSS do that?
No, ether alone should at least make it fart, but I am not getting fuel so that could be another issue

Old 12-19-2017, 04:47 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Kind hard to hear anything click over the GP relay but I will check it

No, ether alone should at least make it fart, but I am not getting fuel so that could be another issue
if you have one a stethoscope use it to heatpr the relay, if not a long screwdriver against the ear

Old 12-19-2017, 07:31 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
If it's not hitting off the ether then either you have a rats nest in the intake or no compression.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:11 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
GP relay should only make noise when it's clicking on/off. If you disconnect / reconnect the FSS connector while the key is in RUN, the GP relay shouldn't be making any noise at that point. If you have one of those GP relays that screeches/whistles the whole time it's energized, stick a fork in it, it's done. 'Course, you can always disconnect the GP relay for the FSS test.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:03 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
disconnect the glows have some one crank it with peddle half way down five second full spray of starting fluid...it wont hurt engine...a wiff wont do it.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:32 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater
If it's not hitting off the ether then either you have a rats nest in the intake or no compression.

No nest. And it turns over way too hard with new batteries and starter to not have compression'

Originally Posted by speedwrench72
disconnect the glows have some one crank it with peddle half way down five second full spray of starting fluid...it wont hurt engine...a wiff wont do it.

What would pushing on the pedal do?

5 seconds? That would surly lock up the engine

Old 12-20-2017, 04:47 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
No its nest. And it turns over way too hard with new batteries and starter to not have compression'

What would pushing on the pedal do?

5 seconds? That would surly lock up the engine
thing about ether is you want the engine turning before you spray. I have heard it is possible to make the engine spin in reverse if the cylinders are full of ether before you turn it over. It may have been the old 2 strokes that had the problem.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:33 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Well, I rigged up a test fuel can and changed the fuel filter.

getting fuel thru the filter head but nothing out of IP. Looks like Injection Pump is bad(yes I have power to the fuel shut off)

Quick Reply: No Start