Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Turbo wheel toast?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 03:02 PM
JGRNAUT_7.3L
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo wheel toast?

So just got into rebuilding my turbo and found this. Is this bad news? Really wanted to get this back in the truck tonight. Should I wait and buy a new turbine wheel with shaft? Why the heck would it get chewed up like that??

Old 12-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Yep, it's smoked and needs replaced. That's the exhaust side, did the intake side do the same thing? What went awry that let that happen? The first thing I would think is that it hit the housing. How bad are the bearings?

Old 12-10-2017, 03:20 PM
JGRNAUT_7.3L
Senior User

Compressor side is fine. Bearings look ok as well. Definitely had a blown turbine end seal though from the looks of it with all the build up. Could that do it? I’m just damn glad I decided to put the whicked wheel in and rebuild the turbo while I was in there. I’m thinking this could of gone real wrong very quickly. Didn’t have a clue it was messed up. Guess I’m packing up for the night and ordering parts in the morning. 😔 Another speed bump in this maintenance/upgrade weekend. Guess I rather find it this way then a loud explosion and be stuck on side of road.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Things happen for a reason, sometimes they happen with your best interest in mind, even though it doesn't seem that way. Truck should run like a beast once you get it buttoned up.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,462 Likes on 2,851 Posts
Toast is right, it needs to be replaced along with any other parts that are beat up or worn out. Like John said, truck/turbo response will be different than what you are used to when back together in a healthy way.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:39 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Hows the compression on your truck? Ive seen this happen when a piston ring or part of the piston brakes off. Or a large piece of debri that some how went thru but normally the compressor wheel gets destroyed as well.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:41 PM
JGRNAUT_7.3L
Senior User
Ya I was in doing billet plenums, bellowed uppies, whicked wheel 2, ebpv delete pedastal and housing, and fuel bowl rebuild. So it should be a whole new truck when I get it back together. Let alone having this problem and not even knowing it. Can’t wait to stomp on the skinny pedal now when I’m done 😬.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:02 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JGRNAUT_7.3L

Compressor side is fine. Bearings look ok as well. Definitely had a blown turbine end seal though from the looks of it with all the build up. Could that do it? I’m just damn glad I decided to put the whicked wheel in and rebuild the turbo while I was in there. I’m thinking this could of gone real wrong very quickly. Didn’t have a clue it was messed up. Guess I’m packing up for the night and ordering parts in the morning. 😔 Another speed bump in this maintenance/upgrade weekend. Guess I rather find it this way then a loud explosion and be stuck on side of road.
NOPE! The compressor side is NOT "fine". That wheel has also been shaved down by contact with the housing. Look at the inside of the compressor housing ( The outer half of the shell. You will find a nicely grooved/ribbed surface instead of the polished/smooth one that is supposed to be there.

Between what happened to the exhaust wheel and the compressor side, you had likely had a bad thrust bearing. Unfortunately, you probably need a center housing cartridge as well. That exhaust wheel was right up against the heat shield/bearing housing surface. You probably damaged the oil seal groove in the housing. I also would not reuse the compressor housing if it is grooved. Basically, you need a whole 'nother turbo to build. By the time you buy all the parts to fix what you have, it would be cheaper to find another core, just in need of a rebuild, but not toast like yours.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:17 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
So what turbo are you going to get? The KC Turbo is perpetually out of stock on the site, but maybe you can call them?

Suggestions, guys? He needs the good and the bad quickly. Probably has been concentrating on all the other stuff, so let's share the research and opinions

Old 12-10-2017, 04:33 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
So what turbo are you going to get? The KC Turbo is perpetually out of stock on the site, but maybe you can call them?

Suggestions, guys? He needs the good and the bad quickly. Probably has been concentrating on all the other stuff, so let's share the research and opinions
Well, if the KC38R is currently being manufactured out of solid blocks of unobtanium, then the only other drop in ball bearing options are the Garret 38R or the DieselSite Wicked Turbo
http://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsite...acement-1.aspx The 3" version is on sale for $1050

The 4" inlet version:
http://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsite...lacement4.aspx
The Wicked Turbo is on sale for $1149. Price looks good, but I haven't really heard/read too much, as far as feedback from guys actually running them.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:50 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Hey Jugrnaut, you gotta update your signature so we know what truck precisely that you have. Things like year, model, 2WD/4WD, Excursion, etc?

What is your truck?

Old 12-10-2017, 05:26 PM
JGRNAUT_7.3L
Senior User
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Hey Jugrnaut, you gotta update your signature so we know what truck precisely that you have. Things like year, model, 2WD/4WD, Excursion, etc?

What is your truck?
That’s weird my signature is not showing. I have everything listed in my signature. Let me see if I can’t fix it sorry guys.

Hopefully do not need a whole new turbo and can continue with the rebuild of this one. Just need a new shaft with turbine wheel. Already have all the new bearings and stuff in the rebuild kit I had.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:54 PM
JGRNAUT_7.3L
Senior User

No grooves I can see or feel on the compressor side so might be a very recent problem and I lucked out. Now how do I tell if I need a new center cartridge or just the shaft and exhaust wheel?

Old 12-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,462 Likes on 2,851 Posts
Your right, I do not see any grooves on the compressor side, but the wheel looks beat up a bit. Nothing like the turbine side of course, but a bit beat up none the less.

I wish I could answer your question about the center cartridge, but I just don't know. If I were in your situation, I would call SPTurbo and speak with Kevin and call RiffRaff and see if you can speak with Clay about what you are seeing, what you know and what you don't know and see where those guys recommend you go with the project.

Bump to the top for you too.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:21 PM
JGRNAUT_7.3L
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sous
Your right, I do not see any grooves on the compressor side, but the wheel looks beat up a bit. Nothing like the turbine side of course, but a bit beat up none the less.

I wish I could answer your question about the center cartridge, but I just don't know. If I were in your situation, I would call SPTurbo and speak with Kevin and call RiffRaff and see if you can speak with Clay about what you are seeing, what you know and what you don't know and see where those guys recommend you go with the project.

Bump to the top for you too.
Yep this is kinda what I was thinking and will have to do first thing tomorrow. Almost just want to order the bearing housing just as a precaution so I don’t have this happen again trying to save $100. We will see what they say and go from there I guess. Still better than spending $1,000 on a new turbo right now after I just dropped a bunch on other upgrades/mods/maintenance.

Quick Reply: Turbo wheel toast?