Airbags and I-beams - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Airbags and I-beams

Old 12-07-2017, 06:17 PM
Senior User

Xwarrior86 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Airbags and I-beams

I've been giving some thought to building a truck with an airbag set up. Question is: How feasible is it while maintaining the I-beam suspension? I know on the wishbone set-up its nearly plug and play. I have little/no experience with air susp. but I like the novelty of it. Does anyone have any experience with this or have any pictures, thoughts, etc?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:49 PM
Post Fiend

FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.
When you say "I-beam suspension" are you talking about the Twin I-beam suspension?

When I-beam suspension is said I think the old straight axle & leaf springs.
If you meant the twin I-beam you should say that so we are all on the same page.

Now just like adding a lift kit to the 4x4 trucks with the same type of setup you will have the same issues lowering the twin beam.
Raising or lowering the truck more than (could be less also)3 inches the alinement gets throne way off.

I would say if you want to bag it first do a CV suspension swap and bag the CV part.
Dave ----
Old 12-07-2017, 11:30 PM
Senior User

Yes, twin I-beams, 80-86 specifically. I know the camber is set just so on these suspensions so any tweaks will result in tire wear issues. I didnít know if an air suspension has a particular ďstockĒ setting so it can be returned to and driven at a particular height
Old 12-08-2017, 08:26 AM
Post Fiend

FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have not dealt with bags but I don't see why you can't add limit switches to stop it where you want it but why bag it if you can only drive it at 1 height?
Dave - - - -
Old 12-08-2017, 09:48 AM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Would you like the look of a twin-I beam suspension when you let it down on the ground? The top of the tires would be tucked in approaching a 45 degree angle. You have to remember the beams pivot about on one single mounting point in the center, so they travel in a arc.

The old swing arm volkswagons have the same type of suspension as the twin i beam in the rear. Here's what it looks like dropped on the ground.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:06 AM
Senior User

To use a bag set up (on any twin I beam for that matter) i Could see drop beams giving greater range of motion but thatís still only 1 ride height (right?) the only other alternative is the crown Vic swap, but thatís pretty major surgery
Old 12-08-2017, 10:11 AM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Dropped beams would not give a greater range of motion. All they do is change the "sweet spot" you are talking about where normal ride height is. In other words, stock beams need to be near stock height to get good tire wear. Dropped beams will drop the ride height of the truck and still have normal tire wear. But when a dropped beam is dropped radically to the ground, it is still going to travel in a arc and tuck the tires.

P.S. Even a crown vic suspension dropped is going to tuck the tires some. That is the way it's designed, short arm on the top, long arm on the bottom.