2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2018 Super Duty Power Numbers released

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 10:02 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: HP and longevity. Developing greater horsepower is relatively simple, just add more fuel. But along with this increase comes not only higher pressures on every major component but also increased excess heat which needs to be handled. In the world of commercial OTR vehicles the cooling is designed to maintain operating temperatures even with the right foot flat on the floor for extended periods without overheating. Even with the ratings of 2017 PSD I am not convinced that maximum power usage for prolonged periods would not affect the overall life of the engine. While in British Columbia this past summer (camper and gear on board hovering around the higher side of MGVW) we encountered some 14% grades on a 12 mile climb through a mountain pass which required speeds around 25 mph due to the switchbacks and then raw pulls up the straightaways. Ambient temps were in the 90's. We surely appreciated all the power available but also had a keen eye on the temperatures. As this was before turning on digital temp readings all the time I was startled when the gauge suddenly showed a temp reading of 218 degrees which climbed to 222 when the fans came on which quickly reduced the operating temp to 218 when they cycled off and this continued throughout the climb and in a couple other areas as the ambient temps rose the further south we came. Top ambient temp was 113 in northern CA with several other incidents of reaching fan temps.

After experiencing this I realized the reasoning behind the derated engines in the CC. With the additional weight capability of the CC engine longevity would surely be compromised especially in a fleet where different knuckleheads would be pushing the truck for all it was worth continuously, to say nothing of other driveline components subject to this much torque. Maybe not scientific facts but surely major considerations regarding HP/Torque ratings. Excessive heat is a major enemy of diesel engines. Actual high temperature test and longevity test results would be an interesting read. Also interesting would be the codes to start the fans at a lower temperature. 222 seems pretty hot.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:22 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by trik396
...I looked under the hood of a new powestroke and wasn't even sure what I was seeing.
Made me laugh, too. Reps will be sent, lol.

For as much of a jumble as it looks, Ford did their best to make this engine serviceable in-situ.

Quite frankly, for the extra hour or two it takes to remove the cab, it suddenly becomes effortless to access anything.

But you can see where the I-6 config is a little simpler...although looking under the hood of a brand-new RAM diesel, it doesn't look tremendously better.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:27 AM
trik396
Cross-Country
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RainDesert
That just made me laugh, I know exactly what you mean.
Haha. It's a shame that it's true. I wish all the luck to all current diesel owners. All brands. I actually like am' all. But for reliable as a heart attack and raw power, I'd prefer to stick with simplicity. I'm partial to big inline 6 cylinders. Turbocharged of course. 7 main bearing caps of total badass.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:30 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
with all this diesel power do you think people will now be able to run a size larger tire without complaining about a loss of power. Ha ha

Old 12-05-2017, 12:35 PM
theboom
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
People always say when a truck comes out with more power, that what we have now is plenty and there is no need for more. I say we still have a long way to go before we have truly enough. Can you accelerate with a max load at the same rate as normal cars in casual acceleration? No, so not enough. Can you maintain 65-70 up a 7% grade(max legal for interstate)? No, so not enough. Even with semis that are pushing 600+hp and 2000+ torque. Can they maintain 65 on a 7% grade at 80,000lbs? No, so not enough. That's how I look at it anyway.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:39 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Rasalas
Re: HP and longevity. Developing greater horsepower is relatively simple, just add more fuel. But along with this increase comes not only higher pressures on every major component but also increased excess heat which needs to be handled. In the world of commercial OTR vehicles the cooling is designed to maintain operating temperatures even with the right foot flat on the floor for extended periods without overheating. Even with the ratings of 2017 PSD I am not convinced that maximum power usage for prolonged periods would not affect the overall life of the engine. While in British Columbia this past summer (camper and gear on board hovering around the higher side of MGVW) we encountered some 14% grades on a 12 mile climb through a mountain pass which required speeds around 25 mph due to the switchbacks and then raw pulls up the straightaways. Ambient temps were in the 90's. We surely appreciated all the power available but also had a keen eye on the temperatures. As this was before turning on digital temp readings all the time I was startled when the gauge suddenly showed a temp reading of 218 degrees which climbed to 222 when the fans came on which quickly reduced the operating temp to 218 when they cycled off and this continued throughout the climb and in a couple other areas as the ambient temps rose the further south we came. Top ambient temp was 113 in northern CA with several other incidents of reaching fan temps.

After experiencing this I realized the reasoning behind the derated engines in the CC. With the additional weight capability of the CC engine longevity would surely be compromised especially in a fleet where different knuckleheads would be pushing the truck for all it was worth continuously, to say nothing of other driveline components subject to this much torque. Maybe not scientific facts but surely major considerations regarding HP/Torque ratings. Excessive heat is a major enemy of diesel engines. Actual high temperature test and longevity test results would be an interesting read. Also interesting would be the codes to start the fans at a lower temperature. 222 seems pretty hot.
Very good point Rob. Most people forget about the heat management required. It could indeed be why the C/C trucks are de-rated.

On the other hand, the Powerstroke has a significantly more complicated cooling system than either Cummins or Duramax (which has the least complex cooling system).

Running dual water pumps, dual radiators, dual degas bottles, and four thermostats means more power is being robbed by the cooling system just to operate, and obviously the expense of replacing double the parts is not a positive, either. However, I think the Powerstroke has the best heat management of any of the pickup diesels. The liquid-cooled intercooler provides more consistent results every time. A Cummins or Duramax will make more power in cold weather and less in hot weather.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:07 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
F the increase in power.
Increase the warranty and I'll bite!

Old 12-05-2017, 01:10 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by T diesel
F the increase in power.
Increase the warranty and I'll bite!
How long of a warranty do you need? 5 years / 100k is not long enough?

You can have longer warranty...you decide that sitting in the F&I office.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:32 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
For the price, 150,000 Engine and drivetrain.
72,000 bumper to bumper.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:37 PM
troverman
Hotshot
That's be a great warranty. If I were Ford, I'd be more concerned about years then miles.

I think the purpose of warranty is to protect the consumer from paying a lot of money for something that doesn't hold up. Then again, the market would be pretty quick to stop buying trucks from a company that didn't build them well. But the real question is, what is a reasonable warranty?

I'm satisfied with the 5 year / 100k engine warranty, but I would like a longer bumper to bumper warranty. The most common warranty claims are the B to B items, not the drivetrain.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:10 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Ford is making a killing on these superduty's and that's
ok with me, but the B to B is laughable.
Make that powerful diesel more reliable by backing it up
with a class leading warranty and I'll buy one.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:11 PM
Fmc4lfe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At this point on it’s all a numbers game, no one and I pretty much mean no one will ever use this truck at full capacity. Not knocking it at all

Old 12-05-2017, 02:17 PM
Adam R
More Turbo
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
Keep in mind that even if you double the hp in an engine, how much of your overall run-time is actually at WOT for any significant length of time. Whether you have 200 hp or 450 hp, it only takes a small and equal amount of hp in both engines to move the same truck down the road at 70 mph empty. Of course the hp requirements go up as weight, wind and other environmental factors change, but on average, the time spent at WOT is likely pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

Said another way, just because you have a 400 hp engine does not mean it will last half as long as a 200 hp engine. I believe the service life of an engine has much more to do with driver and maintenance habits than how much hp is being extracted from an engine so long as basic parameters are being kept in check such as cooling, lubrication and EGT's.

Just my $.02 based on the modded diesel I've been driving for 22 years that has 275,000 miles. It still runs like at champ at twice it's factory HP and it has spent more than a few hours at WOT with no ill effects.

Adam

Old 12-05-2017, 02:23 PM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by trik396
No offense guys but I long for the days of simplicity. With very few mods my Ram/Cummins made 617rwhp and pegged the chassis dyno at 1200. It was an older dynojet and that was max torque shown. Probably over 1300 lb/ft. Any how that engine was so reliable and powerful and never left me stranded. With all the egr crap on all diesels today there is no way I would buy one no matter what brand. Again no offense but flame suit donned.
Then WTF are you doing here? Go buy an old Ram.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:28 PM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by T diesel
For the price, 150,000 Engine and drivetrain.
72,000 bumper to bumper.
So let's increase the cost of EVERY truck, just to say it comes with a longer powertrain and B2B warranty? No thanks. Some folks don't want to spend an extra few thousand. That's the beauty of having choices. Me? I opted for the 6 year / 150K extended warranty.

Quick Reply: 2018 Super Duty Power Numbers released