2018 Super Duty Power Numbers released - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Super Duty Power Numbers released

Old 12-05-2017, 01:48 AM
Elder User

ZooDad is a splendid one to beholdZooDad is a splendid one to beholdZooDad is a splendid one to beholdZooDad is a splendid one to beholdZooDad is a splendid one to beholdZooDad is a splendid one to beholdZooDad is a splendid one to behold
2018 Super Duty Power Numbers released

Old 12-05-2017, 02:19 AM
Senior User

theboom is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooDad View Post
Sweet, ford staying on top of it. This is why the information on the 2018's took so long to come out. I wonder who's going to be the first to get the magical 500hp/1000lb-ft? Lets hope its
Old 12-05-2017, 02:22 AM
Postmaster

wb6anp has a very good reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a very good reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a very good reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a very good reputation on FTE.
I wonder if they will up the ratings on the '17's by reprogramming them. Doubt it but would be nice.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:07 AM
Senior User

LOWRPMTORQUE is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford Powers Up the 2018 Super Duty - PickupTrucks.com News

It looks like the heads have been updated. If true there will likely be another power increase down the road.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:20 AM
Senior User

Remmy is starting off with a positive reputation.
2.3% increase in hp and 1.1% increase in Torque.....playing games with the others at this point.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:02 AM
Freshman User

TxHeat is starting off with a positive reputation.
What did they do in order to squeeze an extra 10hp and 10lb/ft of torque out?
Old 12-05-2017, 05:16 AM
Junior User

trik396 is starting off with a positive reputation.
No offense guys but I long for the days of simplicity. With very few mods my Ram/Cummins made 617rwhp and pegged the chassis dyno at 1200. It was an older dynojet and that was max torque shown. Probably over 1300 lb/ft. Any how that engine was so reliable and powerful and never left me stranded. With all the egr crap on all diesels today there is no way I would buy one no matter what brand. Again no offense but flame suit donned.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:09 AM
Senior User

Florit17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trik396 View Post
No offense guys but I long for the days of simplicity. With very few mods my Ram/Cummins made 617rwhp and pegged the chassis dyno at 1200. It was an older dynojet and that was max torque shown. Probably over 1300 lb/ft. Any how that engine was so reliable and powerful and never left me stranded. With all the egr crap on all diesels today there is no way I would buy one no matter what brand. Again no offense but flame suit donned.
Very few mods? I had a 5.9 mega cab that almost got those kind of #'s 590/1175 - Way, way, way more than just a few mods that's for sure. Tons of power, but definitely not as reliable as a stock 5.9, or as reliable, efficient, refined or fun to drive as any of the new diesels today.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:34 AM
Senior User

Seastacker is starting off with a positive reputation.
More power is cool, but it is more for marketing at this point. I have done some fairly heavy towing with mine and there is more than enough power there to tow anything most of us can legally tow behind a pick up. BUT, it is always fun to see them duke it out
Old 12-05-2017, 09:00 AM
Post Fiend

troverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to behold
I think what's impressive is that Ford is putting out class-leading numbers...and really, if you think about it...450HP and 935lb-ft is a hige amount of power...but fuel efficiency will likely stay the same or even improve...while meeting ever-stricter emissions standards.

Trik396 may have gotten massive numbers from his Dodge, but it would be using a very large amount of fuel and likely be rolling some heavy coal to achieve those numbers...and likely would not have great longevity at that power rating. Ford (and the others) are producing very smooth, quiet, clean, and efficient diesels.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Posting Guru

17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold
Yea my old Cummer laid down 505 HP, and some massive torque, I think in the 1500 or more, maybe it was 1710 IIRC.

One minor issue, you would never stuff that under the hood of a SuperDuty and if by some chance you could your tow/haul numbers would be down around zero. Incredibly heavy! If the radiator was a honeycomb the bee population would be half the size of the US.

Ford has done one hellva job getting the numbers they do out the engine its using and my guess is they have a LOT of room left.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:56 AM
Post Fiend

troverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
...Ford has done one hellva job getting the numbers they do out the engine its using and my guess is they have a LOT of room left.
Longevity is a big piece of the puzzle. Keeping displacements what they are, its a lot of power to push through an engine for a long time. Think about the old 7.3L...good sized motor making 275HP and 525lb-ft at its peak. That was an iron block and iron head motor. We're not far from making double the horsepower and torque from a somewhat smaller displacement engine with aluminum heads. Yes, there have been advancements in materials, design, and construction. But there is a reason the C&C trucks are derated to significantly less than what the pickups make.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:06 AM
Junior User

trik396 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florit17 View Post
Very few mods? I had a 5.9 mega cab that almost got those kind of #'s 590/1175 - Way, way, way more than just a few mods that's for sure. Tons of power, but definitely not as reliable as a stock 5.9, or as reliable, efficient, refined or fun to drive as any of the new diesels today.
I don't know your definition of way, way, way more but I can explain easily what I had. Also consider this was probably over a 3 year span of adding this or that to get those numbers.
Silver 64 turbo installed by myself with a 5" exhaust and big straight thru muffler. Not straight pipe. Diablosport predator with a custom "puff" tune. Devilsown straight water injection. Billet triple disk convertor with built trans.
All done after about 2yrs of ownership and ran it that way for 170+k miles. Never a problem. I would detune her for towing or trips but for most part set on kill. Arp head studs too. 5.9 common rail is possibly the most reliable engine due to simplicity. I could see, reach, and work on any part of that motor. I looked under the hood of a new powestroke and wasn't even sure what I was seeing. Again jmho.
On edit. I can't believe that you think todays diesels are more reliable with how complicated and complex just the exhaust system is.

Last edited by trik396; 12-05-2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Because
Old 12-05-2017, 10:29 AM
Posting Guru

17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
Longevity is a big piece of the puzzle. Keeping displacements what they are, its a lot of power to push through an engine for a long time. Think about the old 7.3L...good sized motor making 275HP and 525lb-ft at its peak. That was an iron block and iron head motor. We're not far from making double the horsepower and torque from a somewhat smaller displacement engine with aluminum heads. Yes, there have been advancements in materials, design, and construction. But there is a reason the C&C trucks are derated to significantly less than what the pickups make.
Concur

Its the age old work : longevity curve and us old Infantry guys know it well. On day 1 I can do 25 mi, day 2, 15 mi, day 3 about 10 (note this if full battle rattle carry around 140 lbs added to body weight). You can only work your horse so long so hard before it falls apart.

I am optimistic on the Ford solution. I will give the old Cummers their due, they are built like a fortress, but that too comes at a cost...weight/size. Is Compacted Graphite the solution? It its leading edge and in my career as an engineer I just did not live at the leading edge, I pushed as far as I could and yea there were a couple of times I fell off the edge, LOL.

Lets hope longevity is going to be a Ford strong suit...
Old 12-05-2017, 10:36 AM
Posting Guru

RainDesert has a good reputation on FTE.RainDesert has a good reputation on FTE.RainDesert has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trik396 View Post
I looked under the hood of a new powestroke and wasn't even sure what I was seeing.
That just made me laugh, I know exactly what you mean.