Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 09:22 AM
jonnygorgo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few problems

ok. I had my tranny rebuilt in Febuary. The guy that did it bragged that he had a built the best heavy duty transmission for the 1995 f-250 XL 4X4 351 5.8l. He has a good reputation in this area so i was confident. However this summer when i was towing a car when i felt a definite pop. From that day on i had constant problems. It started reving out in 1st and second gear, yet third and fourth work fine. I thought that maybe it was just having a hard time shifting at the right time, so i replaced the speed sensor on the rear differential. that didn't fix the problem, so I arrainged to brign the truck back to the transmission guy. the day before my fuel pump conked out. So i fixed it and brought it to the shop. After a month the guy tells me that he can't work on it because the engine is running so rough. i took it for a ride and found that it now starts and idles fine but when you hit the acclerator, the engine dies out. I can bring it up to speed but very slowly.
So i have two questions:
1) Is the shifting problems transmission and what could it be? Is it possible that it is the rear differential?
2) I think that the engine problems are fuel related- Considering that i just replaced the pump- is it the filter? what else could it be?
I am seriously considering either sinking or blowing up the truck so any input would be greatly apprieciated.
thanks- jonny
"It is quite possible that we humans are living in a delirious frame of mind about what influences us and what we can do about it."

Old 09-13-2003, 09:13 AM
ajstephan
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Few problems

As always, your problems are most likely related to parts that were just changed or fixed. Namely, your transmission and fuel.

Your engine problems do sound fuel filter related, especially if some junk got knocked loose from the tank. It's always a good idea to change the filter. It's cheap, and a good idea to replace anyway. Besides that, check your rotor and cap in the distributor, then plug wires.

I not a transmission expert, but since it was just changed, I strongly suspect that is the culprit. If you've got a 9" then its unlikely that it went out. I had an 8.8" go out after 60,000 miles and the speedo was jumping all over the place and the truck gave a large "bang" and shook every time the bad gears met.

Get the fuel filter replaced, and let the tranny guy deal with his issues. If he's got a good reputation than he'll want to keep it.

Good luck.

Old 09-15-2003, 06:28 PM
jonnygorgo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few problems

I guess that is what I am going to have to do. thanks---jonny