1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

need so help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 05:41 AM
kupiec20
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
need so help

so I'm in the process of installing a new fuel pump.
the problem is I CANT get the banjo bolt started. ive tried EVERYTHING.
The other issue is that the turbo cant be removed. long story.....
So my question to you is can I cut the two fuel lines going to the back of the head so it allows me to install the banjo bolt and then use fuel line to join the lines back together after the pump is installed.
trust me this is my only way.
if so what size fuel line do I use to connect them?
thx

Old 12-04-2017, 06:34 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those connections are under about 70 psi of pressure, I think you're going to have a tough time getting fuel line to seal up well on a smooth line at that pressure, especially given the vibration and heat they see back there.

I feel for you, I had a heck of a time getting the banjo bolt started the first time I did a stock pump in one of these. Seems to me I used some rags or something to help support things so I could get everything lined up correctly. There's just not much room for fingers back there...

Old 12-04-2017, 06:52 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disconnect the two fuel lines at the back of the heads to give you some wiggle room at the banjo bolt. If you do this though,you will probably need to replace the two square o-rings on those lines.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:19 PM
kupiec20
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ReBilld
Disconnect the two fuel lines at the back of the heads to give you some wiggle room at the banjo bolt. If you do this though,you will probably need to replace the two square o-rings on those lines.
now are those pretty easy to get at?
what will I need for tools?
thx

Old 12-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm a big guy with big hands, but long fingers and it took me about 1/2 day to get that banjo bolt threads started, so it's possible. I would borrow a little person if possible and see if their smaller hands can reach in there. Actually it's more using two fingers, one each hand. If everything doesn't line up good you can loosen the pump bolts a bit and raise it slightly, I think that is what I did.

The lines at the back of the head aren't too bad to disconnect but can't see how that is going to help and might cause leaks in the future. The banjo bolt is plenty long enough if pump and bolt is aligned properly.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:34 PM
soltmen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading this has already answered one of my questions...I will not attempt to replace my fuel pump myself. My issue is recurring with the mechanical fuel pump on my 1997 F-250 Powerstroke. I've had to replace 4 pumps in 6 years. One failed in less than 12 months and was covered under warranty but all the others were out of my pocket. They last 16 months on average.

Truck is well maintained, fuel filter replaced regularly and clean when replaced, no crud, metal fuel tanks as far as I know so no tank delamination, Obviously there is another issue that my mechanics choose to ignore. Since the trucks runs the same with a broken pump ( some of the failed pumps had a broken piston) can't I just eliminate the pump which also leaks fuel when they fail? Thoughts?

Old 12-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by soltmen
Reading this has already answered one of my questions...I will not attempt to replace my fuel pump myself. My issue is recurring with the mechanical fuel pump on my 1997 F-250 Powerstroke. I've had to replace 4 pumps in 6 years. One failed in less than 12 months and was covered under warranty but all the others were out of my pocket. They last 16 months on average.

Truck is well maintained, fuel filter replaced regularly and clean when replaced, no crud, metal fuel tanks as far as I know so no tank delamination, Obviously there is another issue that my mechanics choose to ignore. Since the trucks runs the same with a broken pump ( some of the failed pumps had a broken piston) can't I just eliminate the pump which also leaks fuel when they fail? Thoughts?
You have a very interesting issue going on there, pumps should last well into the 100K mark or more. It is best to start your own thread to address it. When first logged on click on "new thread" and repeat what you said above with some more information regarding your truck.

Welcome to FTE

Old 12-07-2017, 05:29 AM
kupiec20
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Hussler
I'm a big guy with big hands, but long fingers and it took me about 1/2 day to get that banjo bolt threads started, so it's possible. I would borrow a little person if possible and see if their smaller hands can reach in there. Actually it's more using two fingers, one each hand. If everything doesn't line up good you can loosen the pump bolts a bit and raise it slightly, I think that is what I did.

The lines at the back of the head aren't too bad to disconnect but can't see how that is going to help and might cause leaks in the future. The banjo bolt is plenty long enough if pump and bolt is aligned properly.
ok
Heres my idea. let me know what you guys think.
So all I need is to be able to turn the pump a degree or two to get the banjo bolt started I think. Ive been trying to get it threaded while its bolted down. And havnt had any luck at all. The problem is when I unbolt the pump it starts to rise. So my question is how much turning of the cam shaft do I need to get the pump sit on the block without bolting it down?
So is this a good idea?
thx

Old 12-07-2017, 05:45 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Yes, you can turn the engine over by hand to get the cam lobe to drop enough that the pump won't be pushed up out of the block. You might have to take the crankshaft half a revolution or something, depending on where the cam lobe is at.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:22 PM
kupiec20
Fleet Mechanic
So i tried all day to get that banjo bolt started. With no luck.
So i purchased orings for the lines going to the nack of the head.
I loosened the nuts that go to the back of the head. My question is can i pull those solid fuel lines out with removing the turbo? Is there a trick to remove it?
Thx

Old 12-11-2017, 06:50 AM
kupiec20
Fleet Mechanic
I want to jump on this today. Only reason for a bump.
Will i be able to throw the new orings on the lines while its in the stock position?
Or do i need to remove the lines. Thx

Old 12-11-2017, 10:31 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
You should be able to bend the lines down far enough to install the new (square) packings. It's a pain, but it can be done.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:17 PM
kupiec20
Fleet Mechanic
K i finally put everything back together.
New fuel pump, new orings all around. New hoses.
But i cant get the truck to start. I filled (3/4) the fuel bowl with fuel before i tried to start it.
Any ideas?
After i tried to start it i looked inside the fuel bowl and fuel over flowed the bowl a bit.
Any help would be great. Thx

Old 12-11-2017, 08:38 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Glad to hear it's back together!

I'm not sure what to recommend for the no-start. Check fuel pressure with a gauge? Did you have anything else apart while all this was going on?

Old 12-12-2017, 08:06 AM
kupiec20
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Glad to hear it's back together!

I'm not sure what to recommend for the no-start. Check fuel pressure with a gauge? Did you have anything else apart while all this was going on?
so i can check fuel preasure even if the truck is not running?
i assume i throw a gauge on the regulator and try to start it. What preasure should i be seeing while cranking?

Quick Reply: need so help