Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aussie Style Headlight Bezel for Aero Nose (Sealed Beam)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 02:26 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Question Aussie Style Headlight Bezel for Aero Nose (Sealed Beam)

A while back I noticed that the brick nose trucks from Australia have a sealed beam headlamp assembly like a bull nose truck. I'm just curious if anyone has seen an aero nose truck with a set up like this from another country.

I recently upgraded the sealed beam head lights on my 65 Mustang with Cibie H4 E Code lamps. This was a tremendous improvement which I think rivals most new vehicle lighting.

The headlights on our trucks are just not very good and I am not interested in illegal HID or LED retrofits or the look of the bizarre lights that they have available from the aftermarket for our trucks.

I would much rather purchase a lamp assembly that is designed by a reputable company that is concerned with quality optics anyway. Maybe Hella would the a good choice here.

Has anyone attempted to do this on a 92-96?

Old 12-01-2017, 02:42 PM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Convert to a 87-91 Bricknose front end? Just throwin' that out there.

I'm not sure Ford (or anybody, for that matter) ever made an Aussie specific headlight arrangement for use Down Under. Poking around over the years would show Bullnose Fords, that just needed RHD oriented lamps, Bricknose Fords with either the stock lamps (not common) or sealed beam conversion. I've only spotted a very few OBS trucks F/S in Australia but they had stock looking lights.

I keep an eye out for '70's era Falcon XB Utes or wagons that might be a proper donor for a LHD conversion using USA-spec 68-71 Fairlane or Torino firewalls. that's why I thought I would post about this. Trucks come up in my search quite often.

The drawback to lamp conversion would be the need to go with a rectangular lamp. My 2000 E250 van has rectangular sealed beams but I have to say, the light spread from them sucks. Even my oxidized and yellowed '97 F250HD lamps are brighter. Could use that light bucket adn adapt it to the F-series header and maybe trim the E-series light door to fit? Glue the modded light door to the existing trim door?

Just some ideas.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:51 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Few years ago there was a thread about the 87 to 91 Aussy headlighs. Nothing ever came about I recall.

I sure would like to get them and replace the munged up ones on my 89 F250 and soon 91 F150..... Plastic crap lens fogs up in 3 months here in Florida..... Then the silver reflector inside peels/falls off and you get hardly any light out!

Old 12-01-2017, 08:17 PM
pux17
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

I think this is the thread you mentioned:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ricknose.html#

Old 12-03-2017, 05:34 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by raystankewitz
Convert to a 87-91 Bricknose front end? Just throwin' that out there.

I'm not sure Ford (or anybody, for that matter) ever made an Aussie specific headlight arrangement for use Down Under. Poking around over the years would show Bullnose Fords, that just needed RHD oriented lamps, Bricknose Fords with either the stock lamps (not common) or sealed beam conversion. I've only spotted a very few OBS trucks F/S in Australia but they had stock looking lights.

I keep an eye out for '70's era Falcon XB Utes or wagons that might be a proper donor for a LHD conversion using USA-spec 68-71 Fairlane or Torino firewalls. that's why I thought I would post about this. Trucks come up in my search quite often.

The drawback to lamp conversion would be the need to go with a rectangular lamp. My 2000 E250 van has rectangular sealed beams but I have to say, the light spread from them sucks. Even my oxidized and yellowed '97 F250HD lamps are brighter. Could use that light bucket adn adapt it to the F-series header and maybe trim the E-series light door to fit? Glue the modded light door to the existing trim door?

Just some ideas.
I agree completely that the stock headlight is better than a regular sealed beam. However what I am interested in doing is using an H4 E Code lamp assembly that is an upgrade for a sealed beam bulb. I was hoping something already existed, but maybe your idea of combining a few different parts could work.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:54 PM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The H4 lamp is practically the same as the 9007 lamp that comes stock. Cleaning up the lens would probably get you better results than using a different lamp.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:14 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mrollings53
The H4 lamp is practically the same as the 9007 lamp that comes stock. Cleaning up the lens would probably get you better results than using a different lamp.
I'm inclined to disagree. The bulb isn't the issue. The main problem is the poor optics of the lamp assemblies. I have always had clean or new lenses and a relay setup with nice bulbs. I still feel it is sub par. The lights I just put in my vintage Mustang outperform anything else I've had.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:20 PM
rj1983
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck is identical to the one in OP first post, anything you need me to check on it let me know....

Old 12-03-2017, 09:55 PM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by TexasGuy001
I agree completely that the stock headlight is better than a regular sealed beam. However what I am interested in doing is using an H4 E Code lamp assembly that is an upgrade for a sealed beam bulb. I was hoping something already existed, but maybe your idea of combining a few different parts could work.
I would guess a Hella brand rectangular headlight or equivalent would be a huge improvement over a Sylvania or similar generic lamp assembly.

I will point this out; Just because it looks like a factory Gen 9 headlight assembly, the optics may be good or bad, depending on manufacturer. I know TYC has a CAPA certified housing that every bit as good as the original. There are some Chinese knockoffs that aren't worth beans.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:25 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
I would guess a Hella brand rectangular headlight or equivalent would be a huge improvement over a Sylvania or similar generic lamp assembly.

I will point this out; Just because it looks like a factory Gen 9 headlight assembly, the optics may be good or bad, depending on manufacturer. I know TYC has a CAPA certified housing that every bit as good as the original. There are some Chinese knockoffs that aren't worth beans.
You are correct about that. The really cheap knock off replacements are terrible. TYC has probably the best replacements I have seen, but they still aren't very good. They can't seam to get the driver side bulb oriented correctly. This seems to be true of all the aftermarket brands I've been seeing. In my opinion even the original FoMoCo lamps leave a lot to be desired.

I also agree about Sylvania. They appear to be one of the worst bulb manufacturers currently. My research and experience confirms this. Some of the best bulbs are made by Phillips, and GE. Hella lamps are usually excellent (I have their 550 lights mounted in the bumper), but I'm not sure if their bulbs still are.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:36 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by rj1983
My truck is identical to the one in OP first post, anything you need me to check on it let me know....
That's cool that you have a brick nose with those bezels and lights. I'm not really sure what questions I might have, but will post back when I do.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:52 PM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Some further thoughts.

Originally Posted by TexasGuy001
You are correct about that. The really cheap knock off replacements are terrible. TYC has probably the best replacements I have seen, but they still aren't very good. They can't seam to get the driver side bulb oriented correctly. This seems to be true of all the aftermarket brands I've been seeing. In my opinion even the original FoMoCo lamps leave a lot to be desired.

I also agree about Sylvania. They appear to be one of the worst bulb manufacturers currently. My research and experience confirms this. Some of the best bulbs are made by Phillips, and GE. Hella lamps are usually excellent (I have their 550 lights mounted in the bumper), but I'm not sure if their bulbs still are.
You know, the driver's side lamp has to have a sharp cutoff to the left, per DOT regulations. That is to prevent blinding oncoming traffic unnecessarily. Most people see that as an issue when in fact it was mandated on us. I'm going to order TYC CAPA certified housings for mine, Philips XtremeVision 9007 bulbs and a headlight harness. That ought to put some light on the subject. We will also see how good or bad the left side light distribution is once they are installed.

I will put this out as an aside; The "Euro" clear lens headlights for our Gen 9 trucks are the worst for light distribution. They tend to have a 'Hot Spot" like a Maglite. Many of them are non-adjustable, too.

Also, I have used Hella 5-1/4" round headlights, the German style with the flat crystal in a '69 Plymouth Satellite. I have also used the 4X6" rectangular in a Dodge Mirada Cabriolet, back in the day. They had the replaceable halogen bulbs rated at 55w low bulbs, 55/100w high bulbs. Just like daylight at night and nobody ever flashed their lights at me when I was on low beam, complaining. The Hella housings have excellent light control/distribution.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:14 PM
irhunter
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
I'm going to order TYC CAPA certified housings for mine, Philips XtremeVision 9007 bulbs and a headlight harness. That ought to put some light on the subject. We will also see how good or bad the left side light distribution is once they are installed.

Could we get a report, and pic, please?

So...no one has heard of someone doing a conversion to a round headlight on these trucks?

Old 06-03-2019, 06:38 PM
MPP8405
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just did my 1990 F150 with the OBS Soloutions Conversion Kit. Search the name on facebook They are US made.

https://scontent.fymy1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...bb&oe=5D9A0191
https://scontent.fymy1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...26&oe=5D859FFA

Ive only ever seen pics of sealed beams on a 92-96s looked kinda weird should have saved a pic but I didn't kicking my *** for it now, anyways any Q's on my setup just ask.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:09 PM
MPP8405
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
found this for 92-96 Sealed beams, no info on it and i'm sure the parts are obsolete as the 87-91s by Ford so you'd either have to find a set hope they are in good condition find somebody willing to ship, find a broker and hope they make it across the pond, too sketchy, for a 92-96 would be cheaper to retrofit a projector in there, only reason I have the 87-91 swap kit was due to finding it on the bricknose page on facebook. who knows some day they may do a 92-96 conversion..

Quick Reply: Aussie Style Headlight Bezel for Aero Nose (Sealed Beam)