Sponsored by:

Newbie needing help with purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 10:59 AM
TBLK9
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie needing help with purchase

All right, like many here I've creeped these boards for a few months and learned a wealth of information about the Excursion to aid me in shopping for one. Long story short, I've wanted one since I was a kid and now have some extra funds saved up from overtime to buy one! In the past 2 months, I've looked at over 20 in this area (Northern VA) and finally put a deposit down on one last night and plan on picking her up tomorrow night.

She's a 2003 Limited 4x4 7.3L with 245k miles. Engine fires up, no smoke, minimal amount of oil around the oil pan and what looks to be the original transmission which I understand will have to be re-built inevitability. Looks like it towed quite a bit as it does have a trailer brake. Maintenance seems to have been decent, all though no records from 222k-245k.

Problems: Undercarriage rust, DS rear door rocker panel eating through, no air coming through front vents (vacuum issue?), all 4 tires are cupped (shocks are rusting and quite old).

Because of these issues I was able to talk him down to $11,000 which looking at a lot of 2003 7.3L's seems fair. I understand the work that it will need, and have some time coming up to do some rust stoppage (wire wheel, POR15, etc).

So i guess what I'm asking is: Am I biting off more than I can chew?

I hope to become active on these boards once I finally grab one, thanks in advance for the help!

Attached Images           
Old 11-29-2017, 11:20 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It looks like a nice one, welcome aboard.

Rust though is your enemy. You will spend quite a bit of time and money to get that fixed. It all depends on your pain preference.

As to the cupping on all 4 tires, shocks are needed most likely. Also check the balljoints and front suspension. You should take it to a shop where they can inspect it, plus you get to look at it on a lift. Cheapest 100-200 you will EVER spend.

PS: Did you run a car fax on it as well to make sure it was not in any major accidents or mileage problems?

Old 11-29-2017, 11:31 AM
TBLK9
New User
Thanks for the reply! The Carfax showed consistent mileage and that it had a service contract up until 100k with a local Ford dealership. It was also taken care of at the same dealer up until 222k. There was minor damage reported (back in 2003) to the front DS side which I had looked at and a fender/headlight was replaced which looks like they may have swung too wide pulling in somewhere and whacked something, no other visible damage or frame issues.

The Diesel shop I trust and know (unfortunately is 120 miles away) Skyped me and gave me a list of things to look at without them actually inspecting it and stated worst-case-scenario you will need an oil pan, transmission re-build and injectors down the road, as they are common with the 7.3L. Ball joints, shocks and tires ASAP. It won't be my DD, so she can sit while I save up for when it happens I guess!

Old 11-29-2017, 12:13 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check my build thread on my 2002 to see what it takes to fix the rust in the dogleg/lower rocker panel areas. It could be tough/expensive if you don't do it yourself. Honestly even if the truck runs mint with no issues, I would try to knock the price down considerably due to the rot.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:24 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Greenscobie86
Check my build thread on my 2002 to see what it takes to fix the rust in the dogleg/lower rocker panel areas. It could be tough/expensive if you don't do it yourself. Honestly even if the truck runs mint with no issues, I would try to knock the price down considerably due to the rot.
I agree, rust is the worst thing to work on. It would be better for you to buy a gasser with a mint body than to buy a rusted diesel.

I guess we are spoiled here with original Fl vehicles.

As another thought, why not buy on in Fl or Texas? Run a CF first before you go look at it and see where it lived and was serviced..

I would think with those miles and the rust, less than 10K for sure. POR will not fix what that EX has. You will be replaced steel, welding, filling, scraping, painting. My guess to fix it right would be 4-6K.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:15 PM
TBLK9
New User
Thanks for the feedback, maybe I will try to down him a few grand but a these people have that 7.3L is gold syndrome it seems like. I was hoping to stop it with a good cleaning/POR15 application until I have the time and $ to do it all right.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:08 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
You can't stop rust at that stage. You have to replace large chunks of your undercarriage to stop it. Too many rust free Excursions in the South to settle for that one. Price is not far off that one either at that mileage.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:32 PM
csnow
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Oldguyfl
I agree, rust is the worst thing to work on. It would be better for you to buy a gasser with a mint body than to buy a rusted diesel.

As another thought, why not buy on in Fl or Texas? Run a CF first before you go look at it and see where it lived and was serviced..

I would think with those miles and the rust, less than 10K for sure. POR will not fix what that EX has. You will be replaced steel, welding, filling, scraping, painting. My guess to fix it right would be 4-6K.
Southwest ticket is cheap. Fly down and enjoy the road trip back. Plenty of rust free trucks here in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Florida, etc. Florida can be hit and miss though because so many people move from New York and New Jersey and retire in Florida.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:32 PM
TBLK9
New User
Thanks fellas, the more I look @ these pictures the more I'm swaying to getting back to the drawing board lol

Old 11-29-2017, 02:54 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by csnow
Southwest ticket is cheap. Fly down and enjoy the road trip back. Plenty of rust free trucks here in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Florida, etc. Florida can be hit and miss though because so many people move from New York and New Jersey and retire in Florida.
Agreed, that's why you need to run a carfax on EVERY one you are serious about. That way you can see where it was delivered and serviced. If in the rust belt RUN away.

I looked at one locally from Mass, opened the door and rust fell out. Did not bother with the carfax at that point. Fortunately did not have to drive far to look at it.

Before you come, look them up on CF first, cheaper than driving or flying. There are a lot of clean excursions here with diesels.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:33 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Oldguyfl

I totally agree, as I'm fighting the same costly battle. If you have any potential regrets that you believe you will have, move on to the next one. As rusted as it is, you have alot of rusted bolts that can turn into a nightmare just for the simplest things and most likely, everything you touch, needs to be replaced. I thought the same way as you, but i got a great deal on mine and had decided I would get rid of the rust on the front by doing a front end conversion, as I needed to buy new anyways. Don't let it turn into a money pit and nothing feels better than driving a rust bucket

Old 11-29-2017, 08:05 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hwybee22
I totally agree, as I'm fighting the same costly battle. If you have any potential regrets that you believe you will have, move on to the next one. As rusted as it is, you have alot of rusted bolts that can turn into a nightmare just for the simplest things and most likely, everything you touch, needs to be replaced. I thought the same way as you, but i got a great deal on mine and had decided I would get rid of the rust on the front by doing a front end conversion, as I needed to buy new anyways. Don't let it turn into a money pit and nothing feels better than driving a rust FREE bucket
I fixed it for you

Old 11-29-2017, 08:33 PM
03psd73
Junior User
I would hate to see you throw money away. Like some of the others have said you need to look out side of the rust belt. There is alot of 7.3 out there for the same money or less that will not have the rust issuses that that one has. If you have facebook look in the marketplace. There is one about 15 miles from me for $8500.(im just outside of Memphis) i was going to look at it for my wife but she decided that she wanted an expedition. So we went up to Nashville yesterday And got her the truck she wanted.

Last edited by 03psd73; 11-29-2017 at 08:40 PM. Reason: added content
Old 11-29-2017, 09:26 PM
TBLK9
New User
Thanks! I will check that out on Facebook, I actually have a buddy who lives in Knoxville, would be a good reason to pass through and visit.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:14 AM
ALANSD
Junior User
You waited and have been patient, I'd wait some more and find a better one. Just myhop.

Quick Reply: Newbie needing help with purchase