Offroad & 4x4
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Truck Owner - Is 4WD the Same As 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 11:41 AM
ZiggysMom
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck Owner - Is 4WD the Same As 4x4?

Hey everyone,

OK, so I’m obviously new here and surprise.... I’m a girl and we just purchaed our first truck. So before you pass judgement on my probably ridiculous subject title, give me a little credit on wanting to learn, that I’m born and raised Texan annnnnd that I’ve been driving trucks since I was a little girl, I just unfortunately don’t know everything about the mechanics of these bad boys... yet! (And for the record, the truck was purchased becauee we are avid snowboarde It was time to wisen up and stop freeloading off you men for a ride through the snow in a truck that could make it and carry gear and go!
So, I’m super stoked for truck life - Texas born and raised... California livin’ ... I’ve always know there is nothing better!

So heres my question: I just purchased a used 2013 Ford F 150 Platinum. I bought it out of state sight unseen. However, I noticed in the pictures there was no “4x4” sticker on the sides but the dealer, alsassured me it was 4x4. I explained this was a absolute necessity as this truck will be going up hills through a lot of snow.

Truck was delivered today and oh my god I’m in love! But there is nothing in the manual (probably because it’s used) stating that it’s a 4x4. There is the “****” on the right that says 2A/4A/4H/4L and when I turn the truck on the electronic dashboard reads 4x2.

So my possibly completely stupid question is; is my truck 4x4 or 4WD or is it all the same? What are the differences and is this bad boy going to get me through snow, mud and all things awesome in life?

Thanks in asvance and I look forward to learning all things badass!

Last edited by ZiggysMom; 11-27-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Photos
Old 11-27-2017, 04:15 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
It's not a stupid question. The terminology is a little stupid, which makes things confusing.

Yes, 4x4 (meaning 4 wheels, 4 of which are driven) and 4WD (meaning 4 wheel drive) are the same thing. The 4H and 4L positions on your transfer case selector both engage "4WD" (4L will shift the transfer case into a much lower gear. You may find that you never use that position, but it can be useful for backing up trailers or other slow work, as well as driving up VERY steep hills or over big rocks).

AWD (meaning all wheel drive) is the confusing one. If you have 4 wheels and all of them drive, wouldn't all wheel drive be the same as 4 wheel drive? It turns out that it's not. 4WD locks the front and rear driveshafts at the same speed. This means that you will get some binding when you make a turn. On slightly slippery surfaces this isn't really a problem (although it can be somewhat annoying), but on dry pavement it will at least cause faster tire wear and can even cause other damage.

"AWD" has a differential between the front and rear driveshafts to prevent that binding, so you can use AWD on pavement. I'm only inferring from what you wrote, but I'd guess that "4A" will give you AWD.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:22 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
welcome to FTE.
you will not get harassed for asking silly questions here..... too much.
since Bob beat me and answered your question, let me simply say there is no such thing as a silly or stupid question. we were all newbies at one time or another.
actually, there is only one stupid question............the one you are too afraid to ask.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:47 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
X2 on no dumb questions, you never know unless you ask or read. And I say read up in the owners manual as it should explain it in there. As far as the factor recommendation on when to use 2A/4A/4H/4L.

"4A is auto 4x4 meaning it's in 2wd until the rear wheels slip, the it puts power to the front wheels so you don't lose control."

I recently read "I find that 4A is very good for rain slick streets. When the light turns green you can punch the gas pedal and go charging off the line without spinning any wheels. (In 2H, I have to be very easy on the gas pedal or rear tire spins out of control).
Also I don't notice the binding in sharp turns that you get in 4H. It never snows in Houston so I use 2H on dry days, 4A on wet days, and save 4H/4L for off road. I also have rear locker which I have never needed."

4H for snow packed road driving, or mud. 4L when you need max traction, like when pulling out a chevy using SLOW speed only.

And never 4H or L on pavement.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:07 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
...."4A is auto 4x4 meaning it's in 2wd until the rear wheels slip, the it puts power to the front wheels so you don't lose control."
Possible, but unlikely. Engaging 4WD after the tires are slipping, even a little, without it being harsh is difficult unless you have a viscous coupler rather than a direct drive transfer case. That would mean that the truck would need essentially 2 transfer cases. More likely any time you put it in 4A it will drive all 4 tires, but with a differential between the front and rear so you don't get any binding on pavement.

Originally Posted by 77&79F250
.... 4L when you need max traction....
4L doesn't do anything different for traction than 4H. All it does is give lower gearing. So you use it when using 4H make you go too fast. edit: or if you need more power (the other side of the same coin)

Other than those two statements I agree with everything else you posted.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:22 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
That is what I get for trusting what I read off the internet, I do not own a new truck, so I do not know about new trucks and a 4A option, so I should of not copy and pasted that.

Yes I agree 4L does not give you better traction, tires give you traction. And IMO 4L is for lower gearing and going slower speeds. That is what I should of said.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:33 PM
tuckr2
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome and not too many dumb questions. Very nice truck, and yes it will easily get you through snow, ice, mud, and crazy drivers. One place you can learn tons about your truck is YouTube. You can put most anything in the search and it will likely show you how to use it, how to open it, how to start, stop or program it. Of course you can also come here to ask questions too.
Best of luck with your new toy.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:00 AM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to FTE and Nice truck! Like everyone has said there are no dumb questions, or at the very least you will be quickly forgiven for your dumb questions. LOL I've been driving pick-up trucks all my life too, but just bought my first 4x4 last year so I'm still asking dumb questions.
And let me just say that I always think it's cool when I see a woman come on these forums and hang out with us guys to talk about your trucks. You will not be judged on here for what you know or don't know. Anyone on here who says he knows everything about these trucks is either a liar or delusional! Especially a Platinum model as new as yours is a very complicated piece of equipment, which is why Ford dealer technicians spend a lot of hours in continued training to keep up up with them. That's also one of the reasons I drive an XL, because I believe in the KISS policy when it comes to buying vehicles: Keep It Simple Stupid!

Old 12-13-2017, 08:07 AM
ExDakotaOwner
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome! Nice truck indeed.

Im a mid 20s male and I still dont know the terminology to some of my truck, which Ive had for over a year. Hell, Im still learning some of the buttons my previous truck did not have. Cant learn if you dont ask questions!

Ive asked some pretty stupid questions here. So ask away and more than not, these guys will know. Great group here.

Also, the 4x2 comes on then goes to 4x4high. Also says 4x2 when I turn it back to 2WD

Old 12-13-2017, 10:58 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
I have no idea how Ford's 4A works. LOL. So I wouldn't feel bad. I have only 2wd, 4wd, 4low, and can pull the **** out for the E-locker.

4 low soaks up any rough throttle tip in. Towing a boat up a boat ramp, or up the beach, 4 low can have noticeably less wheel slip. Can't turn in those conditions with 4 low, though. Straight line only.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:52 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
There shouldn't be any trouble turning in 4L. Turning with the diff locked is another matter. I suppose it's possible that 4L also locks the diff, but if it is set up that way Ford made a huge mistake in my opinion. But if you can engage 4L without locking the diff there shouldn't be any trouble turning (or at least no more than when in 4H).

Old 12-13-2017, 05:38 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
I meant on the boat ramp, it's concrete. Remember to turn off 4wd before making your turn at the top of the ramp. Would get hoppy quick once I got away from the nice algae coating. LOL.

Sounds crazy to use 4low on a ramp where a guy is putting a boat in just fine, with a pathetic Caprice Classic. But hey, if it makes me 1% less likely to go scuba diving, I'm all for it. Actually some midwest ramps can be very sketchy, and steep. And that green fall time goo......we should make oil from it.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:40 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
Bob, the E-locker does not come on automatically in 4 low, you need to pull the ESOF **** out to lock the rear diff. and it does not need to be in 4X4 either.
if you are in loose traction you can let off throttle, lock the diff in 2 wheel to engage it and get out of the loose stuff.
then unlock it and let off throttle again to disengage it.
i use the E-locker quite often on slick roads to keep the rear wheels from spinning with the 6.2 in my 2014.
all i have to do is look at the throttle and the wheels spin when trying to start off on a hill on wet roads.
i can't wait to get rid of the michelins that are on the truck, they suck!!!
problem is i do not have the $1200 it is going to cost to replace them

Old 12-13-2017, 09:43 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Buliwyf
....Sounds crazy to use 4low on a ramp where a guy is putting a boat in just fine, with a pathetic Caprice Classic. But hey, if it makes me 1% less likely to go scuba diving, I'm all for it. Actually some midwest ramps can be very sketchy, and steep. And that green fall time goo......we should make oil from it.
Not crazy. With my old-school '97 F-250HD with a manual shift transfer case and manual locking hubs I'll use 4low without locking the hubs for something like that (although I'd lock the hubs if there was much green goo). Like I said earlier, 4 low is for when you want to go slower or need more power. You can get into the throttle a lot in high range or just walk it in low. Pretty easy choice. But I understand why you say you can't turn easily. But it's the 4WD on pavement, not the low range that causes the binding. It'd do the same thing in 4hi.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:03 PM
F150DuneBasher
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had my truck 9 months and I can confirm that, although i dont know how 4A works, it does usually just power the rear wheels until it detects some slip and then it'll punch some drive through the front (I know this from watching the dash display send the power).

It is good on wet roads (even though it only rains a few times a year here) but not good in the desert as it takes a split second to react. Also, on gravel roads its a bit odd as it feels more like traction control than reallocation of drive... which i guess it is, in a sense.

Summary: 4A is useful on traction limited black-top, but would use 4H for anything gravel onwards.

4L is unbelievable how much power you can put down without breaking traction - when you first play with it you wont believe some of the steep and lose climbs you sail up!

Finally, I use the diff-lock only when I am well and truly stuck in the desert... 9 times out of 10 it'll drag me out! The other 1 out of 10 will have me swallowing my pride and getting a tow... or grabbing the spade!