Sponsored by: Moser

Winter claims its first victim

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 11:33 AM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Winter claims its first victim

This winter has not officially started yet but has already claimed its first victim: my windshield. I got in the truck yesterday morning to go pick up a few last items at the store for Thanksgiving dinner and noticed a small crack about 3-4" long down at the base of the windshield in the very center. It'll most likely fail inspection in April so it will need done before then. I will most likely wait till winter is over before I replace it. My wife and I just switched our insurance policy over to a different company a few months ago to save money so I'll call them Monday to find out what their coverage/deductible is on glass. I tried to take a picture but I couldn't see the crack through the screen so I didn't think it would turn out too good. Maybe as it continues to spread I'll be able to get a better picture.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:00 PM
06pghescape
Laughing Gas
Received 1,416 Likes on 525 Posts
PGH Rebel , Having been born and raised in Pittsburgh ( i`m 59 years old )never having a windshield crack from the cold itself. I`ve seen them crack when some one threw a bucket of hot water on it to clear off ice . Not saying it can`t happen but we haven`t really had constant below freezing weather yet. Wonder if there is an underlying cause .

Old 11-24-2017, 01:24 PM
SoonerLS
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't seen cold crack a windshield, either, but I've sure as heck seen it make a crack grow (usually when using the defroster--yay, temperature differentials).

If it's already that long, it's probably too late, but you might see if you can get the windshield repaired to keep it from getting worse over the winter.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
I figure it started from a chip near the bottom that I never noticed. And the cold air vs the hot defrosters are definitely causing it to spread quickly.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:26 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Jim for what it's worth the shop that I work at is now able to do our own in house glass repair and replacement. And we're right in the strip district. Literally minutes from your house. Pm me if your interested.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:48 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Up here we crack a windshield once a year. No inspections so it's just annoying. So far so good on my last replacement, chips (had them filled) but no cracks!

I have a glass guy I've used since I was in high school, pay cash and am good to go again.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:09 AM
rbentnail
More Turbo
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
I got peened by something on the interstate a couple of weeks ago, got a gorgeous chip and the beginnings of a crack about 3/4" long. So far it hasn't spread but I suspect it won't last the winter.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:23 PM
ck1404
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are repair kits available at usual auto part stores - Autozone, PepBoys, etc. I have had very good results over many years using these kits. And, keep them on hand. We live in a rural area and a good windshield smack is normal. Using these kits quickly after impact usually allows for 100,000+ miles on a windshield. Granted it's a patched windshield but not much new cracking from initial impact either.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by paredneck33
Jim for what it's worth the shop that I work at is now able to do our own in house glass repair and replacement. And we're right in the strip district. Literally minutes from your house. Pm me if your interested.

Sounds interesting Alex and please don't take offense but for convenience I'm looking for someone that does mobile service. That way I don't have to take time off from work for this. Although I did call my insurance company this morning and we have no deductible on glass so the windshield replacement won't cost me anything!

Old 11-27-2017, 01:23 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by rbentnail
I got peened by something on the interstate a couple of weeks ago, got a gorgeous chip and the beginnings of a crack about 3/4" long. So far it hasn't spread but I suspect it won't last the winter.
If you can, get that filled ASAP. Be surprised what Safelite or some of the others can do to save them. And your insurance company would much rather pay for a repair than a replacement.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:43 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
If you can, get that filled ASAP. Be surprised what Safelite or some of the others can do to save them. And your insurance company would much rather pay for a repair than a replacement.
Yup, get them filled as quickly as possible. The most recent ones I've had have all been during cold snaps -10F or so. Get a rock on the way home or on my way to work. Between the defroster or pulling into the 70F garage they will crack very quickly (same day). Last time I went into a car wash with (2) hidden rock chips below the wipers as soon as the water hit them they both started cracking.

With the amount of gravel we put down on the roads in the winter it is bound to happen. $250 out of pocket for a new one and cross your fingers! With a $100 deductible for glass I don't see the worth in making a claim since I hate insurance companies.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:16 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I'll have to say that was good to hear...thought you had totaled that truck you've been working so hard on. Glad it was only a windshield.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:47 AM
rbentnail
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
Yup, get them filled as quickly as possible. The most recent ones I've had have all been during cold snaps -10F or so. Get a rock on the way home or on my way to work. Between the defroster or pulling into the 70F garage they will crack very quickly (same day). Last time I went into a car wash with (2) hidden rock chips below the wipers as soon as the water hit them they both started cracking.

With the amount of gravel we put down on the roads in the winter it is bound to happen. $250 out of pocket for a new one and cross your fingers! With a $100 deductible for glass I don't see the worth in making a claim since I hate insurance companies.
Appreciate the comments but I'm not worried about it. I'm in the State Farm no deductible category for glass. I don't even do any paperwork, the shop handles all of that. Dragging my butt out of bed in the morning to get it done is my only problem .

Old 11-28-2017, 11:29 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts
In 22 years of driving, I've had the cold destroy a windshield one time. I was just crusing down the highway with defrost on high and POP there it went. Long split right down the middle. Insurance here in my state picks it up no questions asked.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:23 PM
rbentnail
More Turbo
I had a good one roughly 1990:

driving home from work in a Nissan 4x4, 4pm-ish, 2 lane US hwy, wintertime. Big 18 wheeler coming the other way. Huge chunk of ice flies off the truck from somewhere, smacks me right in the middle of the windshield. Sounded like I let off a 12 ga inside the truck, d**n near s**t myself then and there but got pulled over safely. Windshield caved in, even broke the seal all the way across the top but the rest held. I clearly remember thinking how lucky I was b/c I wasn't wearing it for a face mask and that the iceberg I just hit didn't come completely through. Only thing destroyed was the windshield, apparently it bounced enough to clear the roof or sides, whichever way it went- I can't remember, I was too busy cowering in fear at the moment

Quick Reply: Winter claims its first victim