1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Lowering Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 09:20 PM
Gimmeyo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering Question

Looking for any info on lowering my “new to me” 2010 E250 high top wheelchair van. I went out looking for a cargo van this weekend and was offered a good deal on this van so I jumped on it. Only problem is I didn’t take into consideration the height of the van. Same night trying to pull into my garage I heard a “crunch”. Luckily it was just the gutter piece on the house and only a tiny scratch on the roof. So it was parked outdoors. Today going to work I noticed the van is also too high to fit into the company garage. Only option I can think of is to lower the van. I’m completely lost on what is needed, Also, how will this affect ride quality. Any info is appreciated!

Old 11-19-2017, 01:49 AM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 92 Likes on 87 Posts
It isn't cheap by any means to do it right.
https://www.airbagit.com/dropped-low...fo07xx-van.htm

Old 11-19-2017, 10:01 AM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
That is certainly the proper way to lower one. Something I am wondering about is the clearance of the I-beams to the ground. The stock I-Beams are pretty well tucked under the van but with the lowering kits would they be exposed much lower then the frame? If so then one would have to keep the bottom clearance issues in mind.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:55 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The question is how much you need to lower it. How high is the door opening in your company garage and how tall is the van? If you're talking an inch or two, you may have options.

If you're talking 4-5 inches or more, I think you bought the wrong vehicle and you might want to cut your losses, sell it, and buy what you need. I assume it has a fixed high top and the question is how tall that is. I have had Turtle Top vans where the folded top only added 3-4" of height and I could get the vans into downtown garages no problem.

Most low top vans fit into 7' garages which are common, as well as going thru automatic car washes, and I would never buy anything taller than 7' because it involves too much compromise in terms of where you can go.

Good luck,
George

Old 11-19-2017, 06:45 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Your biggest problem is you bought a hightop, this is why I avoid them, yet I duck my head when I roll into the doorway of my vans, now if I dropped the floor it would not be necessary but the $4000 extra charge for that was too much for me.
The link I gave you has the heavy beams to drop the front 3" but I don't care what anyone tells you, the rear will go no lower than 2" then you have to get the frame C-notched for room for the axle, I had friends who got into the lowrider fad when growing up.
Being in a wheelchair myself I understand where you are at, but you did not put research first, a hightop doesn't fit in the parking garages at hospitals, so you are really in a bind, my big 99 E350 has the stock roof and barely fits.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:36 AM
Gimmeyo
New User
Wow, that does seem a little expensive but if it gets the job done right it may be worth it. Searched for cargo vans for over 3 months and would hate to start searching again before I even get my plates. Looks like I need a 3 inch drop to squeeze in the garage. I really like the van set up for several reasons. The high top adds the extra head room and the seats are side folding benches on both sides. It also has the q'straint system in the floors for securing items. Seems perfect to setup for my work van and when needed fold down the seats for extra seating. It was also a 1 owner local southern van with over 47 service records. Always serviced at the dealership where it was purchased from. The link is for 2007-2008 but this will fit my 2010? Forgive my ignorance on this topic but I have never lowered any vehicles so I am a little stumped at this process. I am afraid how terrible this will look lowered but also now intrigued on the outcome of it.

So, I will need a front and rear set of the lowered I-beams? Then to go 3 inches on the rear it will also need to be notched on top of that? I am guessing there is a kit to notch it? What about shocks? Will they need to be changed? Wheels and tires will also need to be changed too I am guessing. How rough of a ride do you think I will have doing this? I am guessing I will have roughly 1400lbs of equipment loaded inside.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:35 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Notching a frame is a major undertaking; I think it would be difficult to find a shop that would even do it for you because of the potential liability and potential of weakening the frame. And it may require a re-engineering of the springs, shackles, shocks, and driveshaft/U-joints. The van will end up being an expensive platypus with lowered ground clearance, less suspension travel, and weird looks unless you eventually sell it to someone who wants the "lowrider" vibe (and I have seen a couple lowrider vans in Detroit over the years). Using air bags instead of springs would let you lower the van temporarily to clear a garage door, but you would have to convert from leaf springs on the back to bags with radius arms to locate the rear axle. An on-board compressor would let you reinflate the air bags to ride height, but this is complex and expensive stuff.

Before you began this process, you should confirm that your proposed 3" will be absolutely enough WITH some extra clearance. Lower profile tires would help a bit (you might get an inch lower) but you would want to make sure they have adequate load capacity. Some of the smaller high load-rating tires used on the modern Euro vans like the Transit and Sprinter might be worth a look.

Another option might be finding and installing a lower fiberglass roof (maybe a used one from a different type of conversion), or even cutting a factory roof out of a junked van.

One question is how badly you need to get your van into these garages. A lot of tall trucks and vans live outside because they are just too tall to get inside...could you get stuff from work into the van with a big handcart or dolly which would be cheaper than modifying the van? If the van is really ideal for you, what would it take to just live with it as is? Or could you modify the doors and openings on the buildings to allow a taller vehicle to get in?

Old 11-20-2017, 06:33 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
The rear will only go 2" without notching the frame, and that will not make any difference in getting in a garage, and when you mention fold up seats, I am guessing it's a turtle top, that being the extremely tall shell, and with that I tell you that there is no way to lower the suspension enough to get that in a garage.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:58 PM
Gimmeyo
New User
You guys have been great with sharing your wisdom so I got to say thanks to that! I know I should have maybe researched and even measured it out before purchasing but it is what it is. The van MUST be stored inside because I am afraid if left out the temptation for someone to break in it will be too much. I do plan to darken the windows and maybe even start looking for those wire security window screens. For now I will at least try to bring it down some from out of the sky. So the most the rear will come down is 2 inches? Maybe that AND smaller tires will get me where I need to be? Not sure what a turtle top is but this is my top

My exact top

Old 11-21-2017, 03:27 AM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Gimmeyo
You guys have been great with sharing your wisdom so I got to say thanks to that! I know I should have maybe researched and even measured it out before purchasing but it is what it is. The van MUST be stored inside because I am afraid if left out the temptation for someone to break in it will be too much. I do plan to darken the windows and maybe even start looking for those wire security window screens. For now I will at least try to bring it down some from out of the sky. So the most the rear will come down is 2 inches? Maybe that AND smaller tires will get me where I need to be? Not sure what a turtle top is but this is my top

My exact top
I have that without a hightop, there are no smaller tires, the weight of the van requires 10 ply tires, which are 31" in diameter standard, nothing smaller. You have a standard hightop, I've never seen one with fold up seats without the higher one. I have thought about having a top like that put on mine, I don't really need more height, my chair is setup low, but it is tight, I don't ride in my chair, top or not, the E250/350 don't really fit in garages.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:06 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Gimmeyo

Let me give you the spoiler here- and I mean this respectfully. Truly.

Your van ain’t going in your garage. You are better off modifying the building than the van.
Its expensive and a little dangerous to lower your van 3 inches. And you’ll have a van that looks funny.

Personally ive wanted to lower my van 2-3” for years. I’ve considered it all and researched it. The front wheels are do-able, but the rear isn’t. Frame notching is probably going to cost you $2,000, and even then you won’t find anyone to do it. And if you DO find someone, it’ll either be some rag tag shop that will likely lack quality, or it’ll be some huge name place that will charge you $5000 because they WILL do a great job and they’ll need to cover their liability.

Smaller tires will help some but then you have issues with speedometer and odometer and load rating.

Every 6-9 months some new guy (you this time, lol ) comes in here talking about lowering a van. And no one (here) has done it.

Trade or sell your van and get one that fits you better. Sorry for the bad news.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:13 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I like the lowered look. But if so, it requires big wheels and/or tires to complete the look. Example A:

A Ford E van would look great if lowered like this truck. Now ask me why I used a pic of a truck ...
the answer is “because no one has done it with a van”...
go check Google. You’ll see.

And hey I know I’m all Negative Nellie on you here and I’m sorry for that. I’m not trolling you. I say all this with due respect and friendliness.
Keep us posted on your project.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:50 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
I have actually seen a couple lowered E vans in the Detroit area, one in a parking garage in Ann Arbor. Looked like it would get high centered on a driveway. I did not look underneath it to see what had been done. More people have lowered Chevy/GMC vans, especially Astros--they were a "thing" in Japan and inspired the styling of the Scion XB(?). Seems like more custom car guys put on huge running boards to give the illusion of lowering a van.

After sleeping on it, you will cut your losses selling out and buying what you need. Otherwise you could invest $5 grand in the van, end up with vastly reduced resale value. Or find a converter who will remove the top and put on a lower top but make darn sure you will have the clearance you need.

You can buy Load Range E tires that are about 28" tall in Transit/Sprinter applications, sizes like 235/65x16", so if 1-1.5" will really make a difference, use those.

Maybe consider a minivan, which are lower, if one of those would work for you. I owned big vans for 30 years, 2 of them Turtle Tops, and they sat outside at my house but did fit in selected parking structures downtown. I eventually built a new garage at our house with a full 7' door that fits a full size van, but not with a raised roof.

Here's a pic of an old Econoline, lowered and ready to get stuck on a driveway: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/u...3a1ddaaa89.JPG

George

Old 11-21-2017, 12:41 PM
wiskeyVI
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for that link George!!!!

Old 11-22-2017, 06:53 PM
Gimmeyo
New User
Little bummed about the news but still looking into what my options are. Maybe I can rent a storage to park it in?? It CAN NOT sit outside. The value of the equipment going inside the van is almost equal to the cost of the van. I understand there are new guys asking a bunch of questions about lowering vans who just want a cool looking hot rod van. I think my situation is totally different. Mine is more of a necessity than a want. As far as a mini van goes what are you recommending? I have been searching for months but maybe I missed something. I have roughly 1400lbs of equipment and I am 232lbs. Is there a mini van out there with a payload to handle that? Not giving up on the idea and I will do more research but also always open to hear other ideas.

Quick Reply: Lowering Question