1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Jwilly
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Pump

I have a 94 Ranger XLT 4.0 cyl. and it seems the water pump went out, something on it was also catching or "cutting" the serpentine belt (it has been split 2 or 3 times in a year). Also when the serpentine belt split the last time the belt also pulled out 3 electrical wires. I see that a new water pump isnt too expensive, is it difficult to replace? Also, what about the wires, are those easy to replace. Any info would be appreciated.

Old 09-11-2003, 03:50 PM
PSKSAM2
Laughing Gas
Water Pump

Sounds like your water pump being out of alignment could have ripped up your belt. Good time to do it. Might want to think about the timing chain at the same time since taking the water pump off is half the job.

The water pump itself usually just requires draining the cooling system (good time to flush it), unbolting the old pump, cleaning remnants of the old gasket off the block, putting the new gasket and pump in, and rebolting.

I don't know what wires the belt ripped up. What do they connect to?

-Jim

Old 09-11-2003, 03:56 PM
stepman
Posting Guru
Water Pump

Might also want to check out your tensioner if your loosing that many belts.

Old 09-12-2003, 03:04 PM
Jwilly
New User
Water Pump

The truck ran for a few days after the wires were ripped out, and I didn't really notice anything wrong, so Im not sure which wires they were for.
Thanks for the replies.
Sounds like a bigger job than we thought though, wish us luck on replacing the pump.

Old 09-13-2003, 09:28 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water Pump

I have replaced many water pumps. Probably in the last 3-4 years I have replaced about 6-8 of them. None of them on a Ranger though. Mostly bigger trucks. Like a 351 or a 300. It is a relatively easy job and of all the pumps I have done, NONE of them have leaked or given me any problems. Just make sure you get ALL of the old gasket off the engine or it will leak. Good luck.

-Matt

By The Way, beside all the suggestions above I would also replace the thermostat. They are pretty easy to replace and are cheap.