1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COLD START ISSUES 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 05:29 PM
dynocompe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COLD START ISSUES 6.0

I have a 2006 f350 6.0 150000kms on it. Every since its been gettting below freezing my truck has a hard time starting. It will fire for half a second but doesnt stay running, you have to keep trying to start it and eventually it will continue to run. Once its running it blows black smoke and runs real rough until its warmed up. Once truck is warm, it runs great and will be good for the rest of the day. The next morning, this all over again. I just recently changed the oil to rotella t6 5w40. Motorcraft everything for filters and cap.
If I park the truck in the garage were its about ten degrees celcius, it starts fine.
I tested the ficm, on a morning start, but only in the garage, it read 48 volts while cranking and running.

Where should i start? I need to get some projects in my garage and need my truck out! Thanks

Old 11-15-2017, 06:16 PM
bleeds-ford-blue
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be looking at the glow plug module- my '03 had a similar issue (mine ended up being the module plug wasn't fully seated in the module after taking it to a dealer for warranty work)....

how does it start if you leave the block heater plugged in while the truck is outside in the cold overnight?

Old 11-15-2017, 06:24 PM
dynocompe
Senior User
i am plugging it in tonight. I have been parking it in the garage because of this issue. Leaving it outside tonight plugged in. Is there a way to test the glow plugs? I will reseat the plugs in the module to be sure its not as simple as that!. The injectors also buzz since i forgot to say that above. Will the glow plugs normally throw an engine code?

Old 11-15-2017, 06:40 PM
dynocompe
Senior User
I do not run rev x, i wonder if this will solve my issues, i have only owned this truck for about a year.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:04 PM
Lou Braun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Recommend getting a capable code reader and see if there are any codes stored. As others mentioned, a glow plug issue should be investigated.

My '06 F350 starts just fine in below zero temperatures. Yours can too.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:18 PM
dynocompe
Senior User
Do any iphone apps read codes that dont come up with an engine light that my obd II scanner would pick up? I am going to get my buddy to read the codes on the truck for now, he has the ford scanner. But I would like to be able to pull the codes myself in the future without spending an arm and leg on the reader. I am going to order some rev x and a wifi obdII plug, Figured my truck could use some rev x regardless, so cant hurt to buy it. Thanks

Old 11-15-2017, 07:41 PM
Lou Braun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I use a Scan gage 2 for normal monitoring. It is a decent monitor, but is limited in diagnostic ability. For diagnosis I'm using Auto Enginuity with the Ford module. That unit is a bit pricy, but works well.

My guess is that your truck has a glow plug module, egr valve or injector problem. A decent code reader is a logical first step. Many folk shoot the parts cannon at a problem, spend many dollars, and get poor results.

The best solution is to find the *specific* problem and fix only that. We don't need to go nuts throwing dollar bills at problems that don't exist.

Just my $.02.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:16 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dynocompe
Do any iphone apps read codes that dont come up with an engine light that my obd II scanner would pick up? I am going to get my buddy to read the codes on the truck for now, he has the ford scanner. But I would like to be able to pull the codes myself in the future without spending an arm and leg on the reader. I am going to order some rev x and a wifi obdII plug, Figured my truck could use some rev x regardless, so cant hurt to buy it. Thanks

Yes if you have an iPhone download ForScan lite it will read the codes for the PCM,TCM,ABS, etc. Another option if you have a laptop is to download the ForScan program free at ForScan.org.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:17 PM
dynocompe
Senior User
I agree, I have the egr delete, hopefully it's glow plugs. WAs hoping I could find a way to narrow it down tonight without the special scanner. I agree, I am not one to throw parts at anything in hopes it fixes the issue. Last winter it was slow to start, not same symptoms just more like a five second crank before it fired. I took it in to get looked at and they said they fixed it by cleaning the egr. I was confused because it's deleted. I had just bought the truck and didn't know much about diesels at the time so I never questioned it further. But the egr is deleted for sure, so wouldn't cleaning the egr valve do nothing? Whatever they did, they made it start better

Old 11-15-2017, 11:11 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
The EGR doesn’t do anything to help start the truck it stays closed until 160*. Plugging the block heater in will help if the glowplugs aren’t working well or at all. Is there a parts house close that can scan for codes?

Old 11-15-2017, 11:20 PM
dynocompe
Senior User
My obd 2 scanner shows nothing for codes. I am from a small town in Northern Canada not much here parts stores. From my understanding these trucks will show codes with a ford scanner that our obd readers won't? But to answer your question, no there is not lol. I got no codes on my reader other than no flow to egr from the delete

Old 11-15-2017, 11:30 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Not all scanners will read the codes. I would just get a timer that can be set to turn on a couple hours before you need to use the truck and wait until you get your OBDii plug and get the codes read. You could ohm out the glowplugs in the meantime IIRC they should read around 1.5ohms but I need to check that number.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:36 PM
dynocompe
Senior User
I will see how she starts tomorrow after having it plugged in. And let everyone know the results. if glow plugs are the issue would you replace them all or only ones that show up on a ford scanner. Have you changed glow plugs before? If I have to change then out, would you go at them through the wheel wells or from above? Which is easier

Old 11-16-2017, 07:54 AM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
When I replaced my glow plugs I did them all along with the harnesses which most times break because heat and plastic don't mix. When replaced I removed the inner fender wells which made it much easier to access them. Also I replaced them so I knew they were new. I got them from WBLautonation for $190 for the 8 plugs and the 2 harnesses.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:15 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dynocompe
I will see how she starts tomorrow after having it plugged in. And let everyone know the results. if glow plugs are the issue would you replace them all or only ones that show up on a ford scanner. Have you changed glow plugs before? If I have to change then out, would you go at them through the wheel wells or from above? Which is easier
A bad glow plug should set a CEL and DTC. At least it did in my 2006. You can verify your harness and glow plugs are good pretty easily with using the method in the YouTube video. I would not start throwing money at things until you verify where the problem is.

If you end up needing to replace glow plugs I went through the wheel well. They are pretty easy to remove and gives a straight shot to everything. There are videos from Diesel Tech Ron where he does it from above but there was not way I was doing that.

You will probably break the harness so make sure to pick up a new one. I would replace all the glow plugs on that bank since they are cheap and the harness is the expensive part.

Quick Reply: COLD START ISSUES 6.0