1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COLD START ISSUES 6.0

Old 11-16-2017, 05:14 PM
dynocompe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I plugged the truck in, it started great. It's -10c or 14f out. Blizzarding too. So that means most likely glow plug issue right

Old 11-16-2017, 05:14 PM
dynocompe
Senior User
Haven't watched that video yet, will do after supper. I have no cel light.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:45 PM
dynocompe
Senior User
Went and got my truck on a ford reader. Could do every test and show everything. Nothing is coming up at all. Grrr

Old 11-16-2017, 10:17 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We’re you able to do a glowplug test with the Ford reader? If you have more than one glowplug not working it will be difficult to start the engine. How long do you leave the key in the run position before you start it?

When you ohm the plugs you should get 0.5-2 ohms. Let’s hope you elm adapter shows up soon so you can do some tests yourself.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:48 PM
dynocompe
Senior User
Originally Posted by FiznUKa
We’re you able to do a glowplug test with the Ford reader? If you have more than one glowplug not working it will be difficult to start the engine. How long do you leave the key in the run position before you start it?

When you ohm the plugs you should get 0.5-2 ohms. Let’s hope you elm adapter shows up soon so you can do some tests yourself.
yes we did the glow plug test. We pretty much did every test there was except the driving around one. Think I will go do the ohm test on the plugs tonight. I want to test my ficm on a cold start unplugged. I seen a guy on youtube where his ficm was only reading bad when it was cold out and truck first started. Would drop to 30v when started cold until warmed up. Going to test my batteries cold too. I don't suspect them though. If find nothing then he is going to come scan my truck cold one morning. The scanner he uses he had to buy the ford program, and has his laptop in my truck, looks identical to what Ron used on his laptop

Old 11-16-2017, 10:59 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Must be an IDS and that’s a good thing. If the glowplug test showed no codes then they are most likely working. The FICM would definitely be next on the list. If it drops below 45v on startup then you will need to have it reworked.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:01 PM
dynocompe
Senior User
Must be an IDS and that’s a good thing. If the glowplug test showed no codes then they are most likely working. The FICM would definitely be next on the list. If it drops below 45v on startup then you will need to have it reworked.
yes it's an ids! That's the name

Old 11-16-2017, 11:08 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
In your first post you mentioned the FICM was 48v at startup. What are you using to get that info?

Old 11-16-2017, 11:13 PM
dynocompe
Senior User
In your first post you mentioned the FICM was 48v at startup. What are you using to get that info?
My voltmeter, but was tested in my heated garage. Put the ground lead to my battery ground, positive lead on the screw closest to drivers side under ficm window. The ficm was also putting out 48 volts with my buddies scanner. Was 48.5 to be exact. Tested running and key on

Old 11-16-2017, 11:19 PM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts
I hate the idea of “snake oil”, but RevX was a miracle for my 03 6.0. I had it for 14 years and after every oil change swore I wouldn’t spend another $50+ on RevX. After two weeks of really rough starts and missing on 1 or 2 injectors I always spent the money and the missing cleared within a day. Damnedest thing I ever saw, but somehow it worked. I recommend validating you have a 5W- or 0W- synthetic oil and two bottles of RevX in her. (Along with the glow plug investigation).

Edit - always used T6 in mine too

Old 11-16-2017, 11:19 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Gotcha. If you have access you could try changing the FICM relay first with a new one. THey are a maintenance item that are overlooked by 6.0 owners.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:41 PM
dynocompe
Senior User
Yes if you have an iPhone download ForScan lite it will read the codes for the PCM,TCM,ABS, etc. Another option if you have a laptop is to download the ForScan program free at ForScan.org.
I got my reader and bought FORScan? Seems like I wasted my money. I have every sensor possible added on their dashboard, none read the ficm, icp or ipr that I see. Am I missing something? Got my friction modifier added now too, let's hope it does it magic

Old 11-22-2017, 05:05 PM
xcrsp440
Fleet Mechanic
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts
Hmmmm. I have Forscan on my iPhone. It shows FICM, IPR, in volts or %. Keep digging.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:07 PM
dynocompe
Senior User
Originally Posted by xcrsp440
Hmmmm. I have Forscan on my iPhone. It shows FICM, IPR, in volts or %. Keep digging.
how did you do it? I have every pid selected? I only get pids under the obd section, the pcm and tcm only have one pid to select and it doesn't work

Old 11-22-2017, 05:37 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
After you connect to the truck check for errors each module will display what each has if any. The go to the dashboard make sure it says pcm then hit the + sign at the bottom left. Now you will be able to check mark the pids you want.

The obd won't have what you need

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: COLD START ISSUES 6.0