Truck Cap/Camper Shell - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Truck Cap/Camper Shell

Old 11-14-2017, 04:51 PM
New User

Derek Whitton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Truck Cap/Camper Shell

I am looking for a truck cap/camper shell (or however you may call it) for a 1993 Ford F-150 8ft style side bed. I've looked on most popular brand sites and cant find one that looks like it fits. I would like it to be similar to this picture. Thank you!
Old 11-14-2017, 06:58 PM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
CRAIGS LIST and location
Old 11-14-2017, 07:00 PM
Postmaster

Nothing Special has a great reputation on FTE.Nothing Special has a great reputation on FTE.Nothing Special has a great reputation on FTE.Nothing Special has a great reputation on FTE.Nothing Special has a great reputation on FTE.Nothing Special has a great reputation on FTE.
I got the one for my '97 in 2013. It's a Century, I think made by Leer. When I tried to order it the dealer said they couldn't get one for that old of a truck anymore, but they called the manufacturer anyway and it turned out they were very willing to make one, even though they had taken it off their list. So it might be worth talking to a real person rather than just searching sites.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:48 PM
Senior User

Glenn54 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I recently purchased a new ARE brand tonneau cover for my 95 F150 short bed. It fits and looks great. IMO I would think ARE would make a shell too.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:47 PM
Elder User

PRIMERED79 SHORT BED is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn54 View Post
I recently purchased a new ARE brand tonneau cover for my 95 F150 short bed. It fits and looks great. IMO I would think ARE would make a shell too.
Got a pic of the new shell?
I got a quote from A.R.E for 1250 for my 92 f150 and was wondering if its worth that price.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:20 PM
Senior User

Let me check on the pic. Same price I paid. I think it's well worth the price but that's my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRIMERED79 SHORT BED View Post
Got a pic of the new shell?
I got a quote from A.R.E for 1250 for my 92 f150 and was wondering if its worth that price.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:22 PM
Senior User

I found a pic of the cover.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2017, 10:51 PM
Post Fiend

TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.

I recently found a nice Leer on Craigslist for a great price, but I had to change the color to match the truck. Anything from 80-96 or 97 larger trucks should work.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:51 AM
Senior User

Texasguy, I love the way your shell looks. I was really tempted to get a shell instead of the tonneau cover. My concern was blind spots, my neck doesn't move very good. Of course the cost was a factor too.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:26 AM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn54 View Post
Texasguy, I love the way your shell looks. I was really tempted to get a shell instead of the tonneau cover. My concern was blind spots, my neck doesn't move very good. Of course the cost was a factor too.
I recommend a cap over a hard tonneau cover. You can fit way more stuff with cap and either one still takes (on average) 2 people to remove it
Old 11-16-2017, 09:14 PM
Postmaster

Nothing Special has a great reputation on FTE.Nothing Special has a great reputation on FTE.Nothing Special has a great reputation on FTE.Nothing Special has a great reputation on FTE.Nothing Special has a great reputation on FTE.Nothing Special has a great reputation on FTE.
Personally I'll only have a cap. I carry dogs in the back. The kennels won't fit under a tonneau (and I wouldn't want to do that to them anyway), and I don't want them out in the wind and weather.

If it wasn't for the dogs I would consider a roll-up tonneau. One of my trucks had one when I bought it. That was nice for keeping gear dry and out of sight, but still could be rolled up out of the way by one person easily if you needed to load something bigger. The only downside is that I don't think it could be locked. But I don't think that's a huge issue because pickup beds aren't hard to break into with locked caps or hard tonneaus either.

I like the looks of a hard tonneau, and it does let you cover (smaller) stuff and (sort of) lock it up. But even if it wasn't for the dogs I'd never consider one because it doesn't allow bigger things in the bed and, as Brad points out, is too hard to remove.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:24 PM
Senior User

Your situations make perfect sense for a shell. Glad to hear you use one for carrying dogs. Always makes me nervous to see dogs loose in the back of a truck. I'm primarily carrying fishing rods, tools, spare, etc. in the back of the truck. I have a utility trailer to carry larger items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Special View Post
Personally I'll only have a cap. I carry dogs in the back. The kennels won't fit under a tonneau (and I wouldn't want to do that to them anyway), and I don't want them out in the wind and weather.

If it wasn't for the dogs I would consider a roll-up tonneau. One of my trucks had one when I bought it. That was nice for keeping gear dry and out of sight, but still could be rolled up out of the way by one person easily if you needed to load something bigger. The only downside is that I don't think it could be locked. But I don't think that's a huge issue because pickup beds aren't hard to break into with locked caps or hard tonneaus either.

I like the looks of a hard tonneau, and it does let you cover (smaller) stuff and (sort of) lock it up. But even if it wasn't for the dogs I'd never consider one because it doesn't allow bigger things in the bed and, as Brad points out, is too hard to remove.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:52 PM
Freshman User

Merlyn James is starting off with a positive reputation.
I use the one I bought for my 76 Camper special on my 92 sometimes. The angle against the cab is not right, so it sits a bit further back. My tailgate is slightly bowed so being back an inch allows the door to close and the top light not to contact the cap.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:47 AM
New User

Nathan7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
This cap is made by ARE and is made for a squarebody K10. It fits perfectly on my bed so look for others that are also on other older trucks with the same bed dimensions.
I got this truck cap off facebook market place for $60 and I did a restoluem foam roll paint job.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:30 PM
New User

Eh1992xlt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Those caps that are flush to cab roof sure look sharp! I have a cap that has a bump up for extra height and it's the reason pretty well all of my repair work ends up being done on the driveway. I am looking for a shorter one so I can fit the truck into the house's garage. At last house I built a garage with an extra tall door for exactly this scenario - argh!