Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Always interested in seeing the industry show our aging behemoths some lovin'

Subscribed

Old 11-15-2017, 05:21 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Yeah that's pretty much it. No problem using either street shredder or cummins killer daily though. They've just fine for that and probably not a lot different in terms of fuel consumption IF you're easy on the throttle. The problem with Cummins killer is that I keep wanting (and doing) hitting that throttle to get the smiles going! Econo tames this behavior...

I haven't data logged these two tunes yet and when I do, if I find that my HPOP can keep up, I probably won't use street shredder. Just go for the gusto.

With the tow tune, I always choose the heaviest tow tune.

The Econo tune increases idle to 1k when it's cold after a bit so I have no desire for a dedicated hi idle tune.

I've ditched the other tunes, no point to them now.

Originally Posted by Sous
I assume you use Econo as a daily driver and heavy tow for pulling the trailer?

What are your thoughts on the Street Shredder and Cummins Killer, are they too hot for daily driving?

Do you have a high idle tune from GH or PHP that you use still?

Do you use any older tunes (other than 1023) still? If I were to try them, I would probably get the high idle redone by GH for new injectors and get a daily driver and heavy tow from 1023. No need really for hot tunes, but if they are daily tunes with hot names, that is something different.

This will be a tough side by side comparison because of your S364.5, but your words will at least give us some indication (as they have already) of what 1023 is all about.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:15 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Interested.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:39 AM
cjfarm11
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Not trying to derail this thread but will a newer ecm like a pmt1 make the e99 not as finicky?

Old 11-16-2017, 01:13 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,108 Posts
Holy ****. Not this whole "the E99 PCM is different to tune than anything else....." bull**** again.

​​​​​​​Anyone who says that either is too lazy to do it or has no idea what they're talking about.

​​​​​​​Just because some of the things are not a copy and paste deal like the later PCMs or the 95 to 97 PCMs, doesn't mean it's finicky or harder to tune than anything else. There's just a little bit of math involved and a little more time when it comes to making pulse-width adjustments.

​​​​​​​

Old 11-16-2017, 04:17 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
Old 11-16-2017, 05:31 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cjfarm11
Not trying to derail this thread but will a newer ecm like a pmt1 make the e99 not as finicky?
false …I’m not in the tuning scene but no WRONG…if a truck becomes “finicky” it is due to how the tine is behaving, if we look at the system in simple terms any time you “write a tune” your writing a computer program (file) and the computer (ECU) is going to do what ever the program will do, so if you give the computer a bad set of instructions, it will return a bad set of values, whether it is a poor running truck or some sort of “finicky” behaviours… no again I’m not claiming to understand the entire intricacy of the tuning scene but I am looking at it from a computer engineering perspective in the IT industry which is very similar in some respect.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:50 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Want to know why some places won't write tuning for an early 1999 (or at least cringe when someone asks)?

One, it comes down to volume of sales. Since the E99 vehicles were such a short-lived animal with their own build quirks and interim PCM calibrations, some places never invested in the tuning definitions (or templates depending on software supplier) specific to the E99 mapping. The definition files required for the 95-97 trucks and the L99-03 will not work for the E99 PCMs. This isn't to say that the 95-97 trucks are the same as the later ones either. There are many definitions between trucks in the same model year.

Two, the formulas set forth in the PCM PROCESSOR are different than the later PCMs. For the most part, the mapping in the calibrations written for a L99 pickup can simply be copied and pasted to a 2002 calibration. This is why it's easy to have a "library" of tuning available or why tunes for a "stock" vehicle are cheaper. Copy/paste, copy/paste. Or, as I like to call it, "CTRL A, CTRL C, CTRL V....TAB.....CTRL A, CTRL C, CTRL V....TAB....." and so on. Hundreds of tunes can be "written" in a day like that. The E99 is different because the calculations and the math behind them that the processor makes uses a different divisor so copying and pasting a SuperDuty set of mapping from L99-03 to an E99 makes for interesting running....and it won't be right. The mapping "LOOKS" good on the computer screen, but it won't run right for sure.

This takes time and effort to do correctly if there isn't an E99 handy to tune because to just plug in the values from a later truck won't work; the values in the later mapping need to be calculated by a multiplication factor across the board.

There is nothing "finicky" about an E99. Tuning them is no different than any other 7.3L. It's the same reason that (save for the actual number of cells) that 95-97 truck mapping can't be copied and pasted to the newer trucks and vice-versa. However, it's beneficial to be able to tune the 95-97 trucks because there are still a ton of them out there.

Everything about the E99 PCMs is ok once tuned to the owner's liking. It's the reason I run an XLE4 in both my 2000 and the '73. The 1973 is stock but the 2000 runs 250/200%. I run an AWA4 in my 2000 F550 service pickup and it's great.

Oh well. Keep putting those DPC 401/402 PCMs on Ebay and I'll keep buying them.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:24 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Want to know why some places won't write tuning for an early 1999 (or at least cringe when someone asks)?

One, it comes down to volume of sales. Since the E99 vehicles were such a short-lived animal with their own build quirks and interim PCM calibrations, some places never invested in the tuning definitions (or templates depending on software supplier) specific to the E99 mapping. The definition files required for the 95-97 trucks and the L99-03 will not work for the E99 PCMs. This isn't to say that the 95-97 trucks are the same as the later ones either. There are many definitions between trucks in the same model year.

Two, the formulas set forth in the PCM PROCESSOR are different than the later PCMs. For the most part, the mapping in the calibrations written for a L99 pickup can simply be copied and pasted to a 2002 calibration. This is why it's easy to have a "library" of tuning available or why tunes for a "stock" vehicle are cheaper. Copy/paste, copy/paste. Or, as I like to call it, "CTRL A, CTRL C, CTRL V....TAB.....CTRL A, CTRL C, CTRL V....TAB....." and so on. Hundreds of tunes can be "written" in a day like that. The E99 is different because the calculations and the math behind them that the processor makes uses a different divisor so copying and pasting a SuperDuty set of mapping from L99-03 to an E99 makes for interesting running....and it won't be right. The mapping "LOOKS" good on the computer screen, but it won't run right for sure.

This takes time and effort to do correctly if there isn't an E99 handy to tune because to just plug in the values from a later truck won't work; the values in the later mapping need to be calculated by a multiplication factor across the board.

There is nothing "finicky" about an E99. Tuning them is no different than any other 7.3L. It's the same reason that (save for the actual number of cells) that 95-97 truck mapping can't be copied and pasted to the newer trucks and vice-versa. However, it's beneficial to be able to tune the 95-97 trucks because there are still a ton of them out there.

Everything about the E99 PCMs is ok once tuned to the owner's liking. It's the reason I run an XLE4 in both my 2000 and the '73. The 1973 is stock but the 2000 runs 250/200%. I run an AWA4 in my 2000 F550 service pickup and it's great.

Oh well. Keep putting those DPC 401/402 PCMs on Ebay and I'll keep buying them.
Cleatus, so for the sake of tuning only the PCM defines whether it's a E99 or L99? I have a E99 truck but I'm running a 2001 PMT3 PCM, so is that tuning for a E99 or L99? Thanks for any clarification you can provide!

Old 11-16-2017, 09:06 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
The tuning is based ONLY on the PCM code you are using. Yes, if you have an E99 ECM, you will run E99 tuning. Since you have a PMT3 PCM, you're running later tuning and that dictates the engine portion of the E99 equation. A later pickup WILL run on early tuning and vice-versa. However, early tuning on a late (L99-01) PCM will cause a P0107 and harsh shifts because even though the later PCM has an internal barometric pressure sensor, data in the hexadecimal code of the tuning will still try to get the data from an external harness-connected sensor. Conversely, later tuning in an early pickup does the same thing......only because there is no internal barometric pressure sensor and the "code" is looking for that instead of the one wired into the harness under the steering column.

Also, either incorrect tune in each PCM will cause a variance in the tachometer/OBD datastream and all RPM-based mapping will be skewed.

Also, even though there has been no mention of it or care....the same thing will happen on an 02-03 pickup but there are a couple of other issues that keep a person from doing that.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:09 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
I'm just waiting for this information to end up on a facebook page like the stuff about SOI that was written about long ago on PSN and not credited to the original author. (Not me though)

Old 11-16-2017, 09:16 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
The tuning is based ONLY on the PCM code you are using. Yes, if you have an E99 ECM, you will run E99 tuning. Since you have a PMT3 PCM, you're running later tuning and that dictates the engine portion of the E99 equation. A later pickup WILL run on early tuning and vice-versa. However, early tuning on a late (L99-01) PCM will cause a P0108 and harsh shifts because even though the later PCM has an internal barometric pressure sensor, data in the hexadecimal code of the tuning will still try to get the data from an external harness-connected sensor.

Also, either incorrect tune in each PCM will cause a variance in the tachometer/OBD datastream and all RPM-based mapping will be skewed.

Also, even though there has been no mention of it or care....the same thing will happen on an 02-03 pickup but there are a couple of other issues that keep a person from doing that.
So if I'm following you, in layman terms: Early tuning on a E99 PCM and Late tuning on a L99 PCM. So should not put Early tuning on a late model PCM because there'd be consequences...
I appreciate the clarification...still learning!

Old 11-16-2017, 09:20 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
The tuning is based ONLY on the PCM code you are using. Yes, if you have an E99 ECM, you will run E99 tuning. Since you have a PMT3 PCM, you're running later tuning and that dictates the engine portion of the E99 equation. A later pickup WILL run on early tuning and vice-versa. However, early tuning on a late (L99-01) PCM will cause a P0107 and harsh shifts because even though the later PCM has an internal barometric pressure sensor, data in the hexadecimal code of the tuning will still try to get the data from an external harness-connected sensor. Conversely, later tuning in an early pickup does the same thing......only because there is no internal barometric pressure sensor and the "code" is looking for that instead of the one wired into the harness under the steering column.

I always read and learn from your tuning posts. If I was better at it and stronger than I am now, I'd build you whatever you wanted.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:22 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Originally Posted by Colorado350
So if I'm following you, in layman terms: Early tuning on a E99 PCM and Late tuning on a L99 PCM.
Uh.....

Yeah.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:50 AM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Dang Cleatus, we are all so wanting you to start tuning our trucks. DP tuned my E99 auto trans F250 and it ran very well. I only had 3 tunes on it. Jody reburned the chip when I got the 2000 manual trans F350. I like his tuning for the auto better. As far as the engine tuning is concerned, do you do anything different from one to the other? Mine seems sluggish until I reach about 1500-1700 RPM then I can feel and see(light haze) the fuel increase without increasing throttle. I know about Jody's non-liner throttle and am use to it.
Sorry if this is a Hijack but it kinda pertains to E99 tuning.

Quick Reply: 1023 diesel tuning