Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2.7 ecoboost stalls, dies after towing

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 12:21 PM
freejeremy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ldramirez
We have the same thing. We have taken it to 7 dealerships. No codes mean that there is nothing wrong with your truck according to Ford. It happened to us 14 times on out way across country with our brand new truck. Our best friend bought the same truck to tow her trailer and the same thing happened to her, Ford claims there is nothing wrong. We are in a lawsuit with Ford right now. Want the name of our attorney?
Same. Please shoot over the name of your attorney via PM or email to freejeremy@gmail.com. Thanks!

Old 12-14-2018, 01:17 PM
Vaulter15
New User
Good Afternoon Guys,

I have read all the comments and it does seem that everyone is replying with the issue during towing and even suggest things related to towing.

I have had this issue without towing. 2017 2.7L with 38,000 miles on the odometer. I am in the military and sometimes have to drive long distances. This has happened twice while driving trips between 400-800 miles at on average 75-80 MPH speed. I do use Cruise Control and use it in one sitting for about 2-3hrs in my trip.

I do get the stall issue and just like others have said, I have it in park, rev the engine, and quickly put into Drive; to get going on the road again. This is always for that 10mins I am refueling to get back on the road to complete my trip. I started to look for a solution and found this thread. I am interested in the Solution "Vapor Lock" or when low fuel in the tank. I do hope we get more "possible solutions" but I have not seen on here actual "fixes" just engine replacement talk.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:55 PM
wisner45
Junior User
I read it and they reprogram the PCM TSB 18-2249-1.pdf

Old 12-14-2018, 04:31 PM
freejeremy
New User
Originally Posted by wisner45
I read it and they reprogram the PCM Attachment 262737
Has anyone had this done as a possible solution to the problem? And did it help?

Old 12-29-2018, 09:48 AM
MagneticMurf
New User
Mine does this too

I’ve posted on another forum, but first time here. I’ve had the same thing happen many times while towing with my ‘18 SCREW 2.7T. Im towing a 24’ travel trailer (5500 lb loaded)

Im currently on a road trip and it’s happened twice so far. Initially (on the last road trip), I thought it was related to using cruise control while towing. I was going around 70mph and it would happen after about two hours. This trip I didn’t use cruise, and it still happened. Each time the tank was close to empty, but I don’t know if this has anything to do with it.

I took it in to a dealership once, but as there were no codes, they said they couldn’t do anything. They looked on a national Ford database and said they saw no other complaints about this issue. I personally don’t believe that. The dealer said they did not have a tracer, and that I would have to go to a dealer that had one they could put in my truck to trace the issue when it happened again.

On the way home today, I’m going to get out my phone and video it when it happens to use as one more piece of evidence. I don’t expect they will start diagnosing the issue with this alone, but it is not replicatable with a short test drive of course.

I will file file a complaint on the previous link, and would also like the name of the attorney mentioned. Email is: cmurphy65@gmail.com

i otherwise love the truck, but we need to put some pressure on Ford to make this right.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:17 PM
MagneticMurf
New User
TSB 18-2249 performed

Originally Posted by freejeremy
Please all, if you are having a similar problem with your 2018 Ford F-150 stalling when towing, please file a complaint at the National Highway Transportation & Safety Board. Very simple form to fill in. The more instances that are filed, the higher the probability Ford will either find a fix or issue a recall. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Also, I did find this in looking through the NHTSB site. Looks like one of the earlier complaints is already on record and suggests a "Service Procedure." I'm not exactly sure what that is, but I will be sure to point this out when I take my truck in next week for this issue.

August 17, 2018
MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: TSB 18-2249

Components: ENGINE
NHTSA ID Number: 10144915
Manufacturer Communication Number: TSB 18-2249
Summary
Some 2018 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 2.7L EcoBoost and built on or before 27-Nov-2017 may exhibit an intermittent engine stall when coming to a stop while towing. Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
Thank you freejeremy! I took my truck to two dealerships and called the dealership where I bought the truck regarding this issue. All three told me that if they could not replicate the issue, they could not fix it.

I took it to one one of those dealerships this week. They told me they had never heard of the issue (all of them had the same story), and repeated the line that it would be tough to replicate given it only happens after 200 or so miles of towing. At this point I had not mentioned the TSB.

I left the truck there there and waited a few hours, then decided that they were unlikely to search and find the TSB. I called and gave it to the service advisor, and she said she would put it in the notes. She texted me later to say they had not found any codes or faults, but had performed TSB 18-2249A - Reprogram PCM.

Originally Posted by wisner45
I read it and they reprogram the PCM Attachment 262737
yes, that is what they did.

Originally Posted by freejeremy
Has anyone had this done as a possible solution to the problem? And did it help?
Too early to tell. Our next camping trip is a few months or more away.

I also had the dealer do the frozen door lock recall. They spent 2 days on that as they had never done that before. The service advisors said that they replaced all four door lock assemblies, but the tech notes say they blew water out of them, removed all 4 door handles, applied silicone grease and sponges, and applied sealant on both front door on top.

It shows two seals were replaced.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:56 PM
J Peare
New User
And I thought that I was the only one that this had happened to! Pulling a 4000lb tt from WI to FL and back I had this happen twice. (2016 2.7 with 50k) I can’t figure out a rhyme or reason as to why it happens but like everyone else, it was after towing for 3 hours and getting gas, had the failed turnover a few times and then we could get going if I had it throttled. I also noted that the battery light came on between start ups. I am pretty sure that my issue is based in the electrical system or the battery. After the issue surfaced the second time, I was noticing a loss of power to the headlights (significantly dimmed) at which time I also checked the wipers. They slowly crawled across the windshield. About an hour later I got to my destination and checked the voltage of the battery and it passed at 13. It was the first and only issue that we have had with the truck. This was 2 months ago and now it’s 2 degrees outside and it starts as good as the day we brought it home.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:29 PM
midnightridr32
New User
Any updates on this guys? I am having the same issue! Long story as short as possible: A few weeks ago my 2016 2.7L with 28,000 was pulling for the first time( I know, kinda sad). I had a small aluminum utility trailer with two snowmobiles literally packed on and barely fit, so it wasn't terribly heavy. Almost ran out of gas as I ran into an area where gas stations were few and far between. Felt lucky to make it, but I fueled up, drove a block, then stopped at Subway to eat inside. Started and drove fine, but died at the intersection, started and died again a couple times. Quickly got it moving and it was fine.

Fast forward to today. Drove up Friday with a slightly heavier trailer and 3 snowmobiles. No issues. This morning as I was moving the truck and trailer around, I noticed some dark fluid drips in the snow where I had been parked and the path that I was driving. It looked to me like it was coming from the muffler, so I thought it was just dirty water. Oil level was fine. So, loaded up, drove one hour, fueled up and continued to complete the 4 hour trip without stopping until I was 5 miles from home and had 4 miles to empty. Fueled up, and when I started my truck it died right away. This happened several times, but one time it told me that the trailer battery was not charging(huh?). So I basically limp it home, its drives fine, but wants to stall out at intersections. Back the trailer into my shop and I can smell oily nastiness in the cab. Not good! So I get out to pop the hood and notice a lot more fluid, this time it was more than a drip!!. It looks red so either transmission or coolant? It felt oily, but I'm not sure what it was. This time it looks like its coming from above the skid plate/cover that you remove for an oil change. Oil level still seemed good, but I just left it in my shop and went home. I was tired, kids were tired. Plan to call the dealer in the morning. Any ideas? Will keep you all posted!

Old 03-11-2019, 04:36 PM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 753 Likes on 687 Posts
Originally Posted by midnightridr32
Any updates on this guys? I am having the same issue! Long story as short as possible: A few weeks ago my 2016 2.7L with 28,000 was pulling for the first time( I know, kinda sad). I had a small aluminum utility trailer with two snowmobiles literally packed on and barely fit, so it wasn't terribly heavy. Almost ran out of gas as I ran into an area where gas stations were few and far between. Felt lucky to make it, but I fueled up, drove a block, then stopped at Subway to eat inside. Started and drove fine, but died at the intersection, started and died again a couple times. Quickly got it moving and it was fine.

Fast forward to today. Drove up Friday with a slightly heavier trailer and 3 snowmobiles. No issues. This morning as I was moving the truck and trailer around, I noticed some dark fluid drips in the snow where I had been parked and the path that I was driving. It looked to me like it was coming from the muffler, so I thought it was just dirty water. Oil level was fine. So, loaded up, drove one hour, fueled up and continued to complete the 4 hour trip without stopping until I was 5 miles from home and had 4 miles to empty. Fueled up, and when I started my truck it died right away. This happened several times, but one time it told me that the trailer battery was not charging(huh?). So I basically limp it home, its drives fine, but wants to stall out at intersections. Back the trailer into my shop and I can smell oily nastiness in the cab. Not good! So I get out to pop the hood and notice a lot more fluid, this time it was more than a drip!!. It looks red so either transmission or coolant? It felt oily, but I'm not sure what it was. This time it looks like its coming from above the skid plate/cover that you remove for an oil change. Oil level still seemed good, but I just left it in my shop and went home. I was tired, kids were tired. Plan to call the dealer in the morning. Any ideas? Will keep you all posted!
I went through the entire thread. Your symptom doesn't include stalling when coming to a stop after an extended period of towing a travel trailer. I'm not arguing that it is not stalling, just that it isn't stalling under similar circumstances. I'd say you should probably post a new thread and/or take your vehicle to a dealer to get looked at under warranty. You could try giving the dealer the TSB presented in post #75 of this thread and see if it helps. If so, I'm sure that this thread and the one you create for your issue would be interested in your results.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:50 PM
midnightridr32
New User
Originally Posted by CathedralCub
I went through the entire thread. Your symptom doesn't include stalling when coming to a stop after an extended period of towing a travel trailer. I'm not arguing that it is not stalling, just that it isn't stalling under similar circumstances. I'd say you should probably post a new thread and/or take your vehicle to a dealer to get looked at under warranty. You could try giving the dealer the TSB presented in post #75 of this thread and see if it helps. If so, I'm sure that this thread and the one you create for your issue would be interested in your results.
Uhm, yes. That's exactly what happened. I stated in my post that after stopping for gas on two separate occasions that when I started it it died(stalled) right away several times. Then driving it home it wanted to die/stall at all of the intersections that I needed to stop at.

I got under it today and found that it is leaking transmission fluid at the front of the trans. I have a video I could post, but it leaks pretty bad. I think this is an unrelated issue that could use a new post.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:38 PM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 753 Likes on 687 Posts
Uhm, yes. That's exactly what happened. I stated in my post that after stopping for gas on two separate occasions that when I started it it died(stalled) right away several times. Then driving it home it wanted to die/stall at all of the intersections that I needed to stop at.
Apologies, the others are reporting:

1. Drive a long time, generally with a heavy and tall travel trailer
2. Offramp
3. Slow down to a stop
4. Engine dies
5. Attempt to start several times, dies every time
6. Attempt to start while holding throttle open, barely runs
7. Situation continues for an indefinite period of time
Of note: Like clockwork almost every time, and no complaints of burning or leaking oil

I took your first report to be

1. Drive with a small low-profile lightweight snow-machine trailer
2. Offramp
3. Slow down to a stop
4. Pull into gas station
5. Fueled up
6. Drove a block
7. (parked and shut off engine and) ate at Subway
8. Started again
9. Drove fine to next intersection
10. Engine dies
11. Started and dies again a couple of times
12. Drove fine afterward

. . . and your second seems similar: long drive with three fuel stops, and first stall is after the third refuel.

Is yours stalling as you are coming to a stop on the off-ramps?

I got under it today and found that it is leaking transmission fluid at the front of the trans. I have a video I could post, but it leaks pretty bad. I think this is an unrelated issue that could use a new post.
If it is under warranty I'd take it to a dealer, especially with a fluid leak. I'd give them the TSB from this thread as it might be related to the stalling, and see what they come up with.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:23 PM
midnightridr32
New User
Apologies, the others are reporting:

1. Drive a long time, generally with a heavy and tall travel trailer
2. Offramp
3. Slow down to a stop
4. Engine dies
5. Attempt to start several times, dies every time
6. Attempt to start while holding throttle open, barely runs
7. Situation continues for an indefinite period of time
Of note: Like clockwork almost every time, and no complaints of burning or leaking oil

I took your first report to be

1. Drive with a small low-profile lightweight snow-machine trailer
2. Offramp
3. Slow down to a stop
4. Pull into gas station
5. Fueled up
6. Drove a block
7. (parked and shut off engine and) ate at Subway
8. Started again
9. Drove fine to next intersection
10. Engine dies
11. Started and dies again a couple of times
12. Drove fine afterward

. . . and your second seems similar: long drive with three fuel stops, and first stall is after the third refuel.

Is yours stalling as you are coming to a stop on the off-ramps?

If it is under warranty I'd take it to a dealer, especially with a fluid leak. I'd give them the TSB from this thread as it might be related to the stalling, and see what they come up with.
As I said, it was dying when I was stopping at intersections. Sorry they were not off ramps. And I was towing a trailer. It shouldn't matter what trailer. My point was that I wasn't even towing an extremely heavy load. Maybe it didn't happen to me EXACTLY how it happened to the OP, but I am having a similar issue. I got it towed to the dealer this morning when I found that the transmission was leaking horribly.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:44 PM
Anthony66856
New User
Did you ever get the name of the lawyer that is working on this? I would like to have it please.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:36 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Legal talk will make this thread die quickly. Do that Via private message (PM) or the thread will get locked by the mods.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:40 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like the saying goes the Brown shirts built America the Suite and Tie are knocking it down

Quick Reply: 2.7 ecoboost stalls, dies after towing