Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2.7 ecoboost stalls, dies after towing

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 10:49 AM
BNR
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.7 ecoboost stalls, dies after towing

After several hours of towing a 5000# travel trailer @ 65-70 mph, the engine will stall and die after coming to a stop. It will restart, but will only run for a second or two before it dies again. Check engine light does not come on. It will start and die like this repeatedly. To get going again, it will stay running if I hold throttle open a little and take off quick. Took to dealer to get it checked twice. No codes are found, dealer can't replicate problem. Says they can't do anything to fix.
This is very disconcerting , as we travel to some remote places, don't want to get stranded.
I've found two other reports of this problem in these forums, but no solution was reported. With millions of these on the road, others must be having similar issues.
Any new information on this issue?

Old 11-09-2017, 01:48 PM
storage_man
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know where your towing, but could it possibly be overheating ? But not to the point of boiling over, since these trucks have overheating protection and will shut the engine off !

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-09-2017, 07:30 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your post reminded me of two similar situations that I’ve seen on this forum the past few years. I’m not sure how those turned out; maybe ping the owners of those trucks and see what they found out?

And post back here please...

Old 11-10-2017, 08:07 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
The last one I saw that was similar was some issue with the radiator. IDR, whether they flushed it or replaced it, but they were able to run a test on the radiator to determine that its function was sub-standard.

Speculation was that "something" had been embedded in the radiator, and was restricting flow.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:25 PM
beagletim
New User
Before looking at your radiator, be sure to check your coolant level.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:55 PM
vnleclaire
Freshman User
Sounds like an over heating problem . Do you have a trailer tow package with your truck? Possible something wrong with your radiator or your coolant lever is low.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:43 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,297 Posts
OP appears to be "One and done". I certainly would like to hear "the rest of the story..."

Old 11-25-2017, 11:13 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
OP appears to be "One and done". I certainly would like to hear "the rest of the story..."
Sigh. Maybe it was something simple (trying to give the benefit of the doubt).

Old 11-29-2017, 06:33 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
There is a similar thread in this section.

It is my suggestion you consider that it may be "vapor lock" of the fuel.

Towing requires a lot of energy to be expended; we all know that. And the 2.7L is a very power-dense engine to begin with. So consider what happens ...

- towing generate high heat loads
- slowing or stopping the vehicle greatly reduces airflow which would otherwise be dissipating heat energy from the engine bay
- low fuel conditions (not a full tank) reduces the available mass to "cool" the fuel, prior to being sent up for it's return trip to the engine bay (the lower the fuel level, the less fuel mass to absorb heat before heading back to the engine

I don't have one of these trucks, so I cannot help replicate or offer any specific advice. But I'd suggest tracing the fuel lines and seeing if they travel close/near any heat sources like headers, cats, turbos, heads, etc; anywhere heat will be concentrated.

Two generic suggestions:
1) add insulation anywhere you can to shed heat away from the fuel lines
2) consider putting a fuel cooler in the supply side of the fuel line; many generic ones to choose from in the aftermarket (a good tube/fin cooler with perhaps 75 sqr-in or more would likely do fine

I cannot assure you that vapor lock is the cause; but it just makes sense given the conditions both threads speak of.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:52 AM
psc6
New User
new engine

Originally Posted by BNR
After several hours of towing a 5000# travel trailer @ 65-70 mph, the engine will stall and die after coming to a stop. It will restart, but will only run for a second or two before it dies again. Check engine light does not come on. It will start and die like this repeatedly. To get going again, it will stay running if I hold throttle open a little and take off quick. Took to dealer to get it checked twice. No codes are found, dealer can't replicate problem. Says they can't do anything to fix.
This is very disconcerting , as we travel to some remote places, don't want to get stranded.
I've found two other reports of this problem in these forums, but no solution was reported. With millions of these on the road, others must be having similar issues.
Any new information on this issue?
I had the exact issue with my 2016 ecoboost and the dealer was told by Ford Canada to replace the whole engine. I was not given a reason on what was wrong with the original engine. I have towed my 3900 lb trailer once with the replacement engine and have had no repeat issues. The RPMs appear to be lower and the truck will run in 5th or 6th gear as opposed to not leaving 4th gear. It is frustrating that I could not receive any explanation for what was causing the issues.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:59 AM
vnleclaire
Freshman User
Stalling while towing

Although I have not tried it yet, you can log what you engine is doing as its running using Forscan and OBD link MX. You will have to download the Forscan app for android and purchase the OBD link MX.
What's new

Old 02-20-2018, 08:30 PM
Y all the issues
New User
2.7 ecoboost

I I just had the same issue over this last weekend family day passing a vehicle when all of a sudden it just died shifted down by the time I stopped it wasnt running anymore engine light flashing restarted it and it was only idling at half speed got it towed to nearest Ford and today I got a voiceail saying bank 1 cylinders are all dead and worst of all I just got heads replaced 2000 km ago because the TSB issue the were having with them

Old 04-04-2018, 02:54 PM
Appleman1
New User
Revisiting the thread

Was there ever a solution for this? I have a 18 2.7 and it did the same thing towing our trailer to Florida and back. Happened about 8 different times. Going to my dealer Friday. Just wondering if anyone found a solution before I take it in.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:27 PM
Y all the issues
New User
2.7 issues

Originally Posted by Appleman1
Was there ever a solution for this? I have a 18 2.7 and it did the same thing towing our trailer to Florida and back. Happened about 8 different times. Going to my dealer Friday. Just wondering if anyone found a solution before I take it in.
my issue was solved sprocket for timing chain broke at the crankshaft not letting time chain turn which shut down one of the heads valve stayed open Pistons came and hammered on to the valves fixed was basically new motor after 28 days I finally got my truck back with no compensation for me and being stranded in Alberta so I'm finally back home in Saskatchewan

Old 05-31-2018, 08:51 PM
vapor40
New User
Originally Posted by Appleman1
Same thing is happening to mine as well. Usually after towing for 200 plus miles at highway speeds

Quick Reply: 2.7 ecoboost stalls, dies after towing