2.7 ecoboost stalls, dies after towing - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150

2.7 ecoboost stalls, dies after towing

Old 11-09-2017, 11:49 AM
New User

BNR is starting off with a positive reputation.
2.7 ecoboost stalls, dies after towing

After several hours of towing a 5000# travel trailer @ 65-70 mph, the engine will stall and die after coming to a stop. It will restart, but will only run for a second or two before it dies again. Check engine light does not come on. It will start and die like this repeatedly. To get going again, it will stay running if I hold throttle open a little and take off quick. Took to dealer to get it checked twice. No codes are found, dealer can't replicate problem. Says they can't do anything to fix.
This is very disconcerting , as we travel to some remote places, don't want to get stranded.
I've found two other reports of this problem in these forums, but no solution was reported. With millions of these on the road, others must be having similar issues.
Any new information on this issue?
Old 11-09-2017, 02:48 PM
Senior User

storage_man is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't know where your towing, but could it possibly be overheating ? But not to the point of boiling over, since these trucks have overheating protection and will shut the engine off !
Old 11-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Posting Guru

onug has a great reputation on FTE.onug has a great reputation on FTE.onug has a great reputation on FTE.onug has a great reputation on FTE.onug has a great reputation on FTE.
Your post reminded me of two similar situations that I’ve seen on this forum the past few years. I’m not sure how those turned out; maybe ping the owners of those trucks and see what they found out?

And post back here please...
Old 11-10-2017, 09:07 PM
Posting Guru

GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.
The last one I saw that was similar was some issue with the radiator. IDR, whether they flushed it or replaced it, but they were able to run a test on the radiator to determine that its function was sub-standard.

Speculation was that "something" had been embedded in the radiator, and was restricting flow.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:25 PM
New User

beagletim is starting off with a positive reputation.
Before looking at your radiator, be sure to check your coolant level.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:55 PM
New User

vnleclaire is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds like an over heating problem . Do you have a trailer tow package with your truck? Possible something wrong with your radiator or your coolant lever is low.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:43 PM

85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
OP appears to be "One and done". I certainly would like to hear "the rest of the story..."
Old 11-25-2017, 12:13 PM
Posting Guru

GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod View Post
OP appears to be "One and done". I certainly would like to hear "the rest of the story..."
Sigh. Maybe it was something simple (trying to give the benefit of the doubt).
Old 11-29-2017, 07:33 AM
Senior User

dnewton3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There is a similar thread in this section.

It is my suggestion you consider that it may be "vapor lock" of the fuel.

Towing requires a lot of energy to be expended; we all know that. And the 2.7L is a very power-dense engine to begin with. So consider what happens ...

- towing generate high heat loads
- slowing or stopping the vehicle greatly reduces airflow which would otherwise be dissipating heat energy from the engine bay
- low fuel conditions (not a full tank) reduces the available mass to "cool" the fuel, prior to being sent up for it's return trip to the engine bay (the lower the fuel level, the less fuel mass to absorb heat before heading back to the engine

I don't have one of these trucks, so I cannot help replicate or offer any specific advice. But I'd suggest tracing the fuel lines and seeing if they travel close/near any heat sources like headers, cats, turbos, heads, etc; anywhere heat will be concentrated.

Two generic suggestions:
1) add insulation anywhere you can to shed heat away from the fuel lines
2) consider putting a fuel cooler in the supply side of the fuel line; many generic ones to choose from in the aftermarket (a good tube/fin cooler with perhaps 75 sqr-in or more would likely do fine

I cannot assure you that vapor lock is the cause; but it just makes sense given the conditions both threads speak of.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:52 AM
New User

psc6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
new engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR View Post
After several hours of towing a 5000# travel trailer @ 65-70 mph, the engine will stall and die after coming to a stop. It will restart, but will only run for a second or two before it dies again. Check engine light does not come on. It will start and die like this repeatedly. To get going again, it will stay running if I hold throttle open a little and take off quick. Took to dealer to get it checked twice. No codes are found, dealer can't replicate problem. Says they can't do anything to fix.
This is very disconcerting , as we travel to some remote places, don't want to get stranded.
I've found two other reports of this problem in these forums, but no solution was reported. With millions of these on the road, others must be having similar issues.
Any new information on this issue?
I had the exact issue with my 2016 ecoboost and the dealer was told by Ford Canada to replace the whole engine. I was not given a reason on what was wrong with the original engine. I have towed my 3900 lb trailer once with the replacement engine and have had no repeat issues. The RPMs appear to be lower and the truck will run in 5th or 6th gear as opposed to not leaving 4th gear. It is frustrating that I could not receive any explanation for what was causing the issues.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:59 PM
New User

vnleclaire is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stalling while towing

Although I have not tried it yet, you can log what you engine is doing as its running using Forscan and OBD link MX. You will have to download the Forscan app for android and purchase the OBD link MX.
What's new