2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Added factory power running boards to my truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 06:31 PM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did you go about getting these steps, I asked my sales person and was told they were not available as a accessory.
You ordered all parts from ford for the install? And they don't have a wiring harness available that they would've used to do hook them up at the factory verses making a wiring harness to use?

Old 03-22-2018, 08:47 PM
05yuk
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sstephanuik
Are you interested in selling your stock steps? Let me know scottstephanuik@yahoo.com
Sorry. My truck was one of the few Lariat Ultimates that was ordered without running boards.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:19 PM
Anibal Medina
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes I ordered all the parts from Ford , no the wire harness is different so you would have to buy the whole interior wire bundles, I am sure you could cook something out with the amps and the factory ones, but that was not my intention I wanted them exactly like if the factory installed it.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:19 PM
Wmchris
Mountain Pass
Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts
I am about to attempt this. Another mechanic in the local Ford shop says it can't be done. They also told me I couldn't add factory upfitter switches but I did once I found all the part numbers. You have laid this out great.

Does the module come with the mounting plate?
i see boards to module connections but where does module connect to truck and does it require another plug?
Are none of these harnesses available from Ford?

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:06 PM
Wmchris
Mountain Pass
Sorry some of your comments didn't show up until I registered. I'll get them on and then may need help with code too.
Thanks.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:22 PM
Wmchris
Mountain Pass
Has anyone else since went through this with any different results? my confidence increases with more success stories.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:47 AM
Lil-moto
New User
I’ve decided to give this a try. I’m a little lost on how the module connects to the truck. Does anyone one have pics I have everything to do this and the running boards are already mounted. Can someone help me out thank you.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:16 AM
Wmchris
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Lil-moto
I’ve decided to give this a try. I’m a little lost on how the module connects to the truck. Does anyone one have pics I have everything to do this and the running boards are already mounted. Can someone help me out thank you.
Did you have to do any drilling to mount boards or did they mount up to original step hardware?

Last edited by Wmchris; 09-04-2018 at 09:17 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 09-04-2018, 09:43 AM
Lil-moto
New User
The mounted up no problem to where my none electric ones were mounted. I did the forscan tool hack this weekend so I have the running board option now. This week or weekend I’ll be making my wiring harness for them to plug and play

Old 09-04-2018, 09:54 AM
Wmchris
Mountain Pass
The mounted up no problem to where my none electric ones were mounted. I did the forscan tool hack this weekend so I have the running board option now. This week or weekend I’ll be making my wiring harness for them to plug and play
Did your truck have the chrome package? Did you use a code found in this forum or did you have to find something specific to your VIN? Did you just tap into the existing wiring harness for module connection as described above?
Thanks!

Old 09-04-2018, 10:13 AM
Chinookman
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Thanks

Originally Posted by Anibal Medina
i really wanted all you guys to know because i know sometimes things like this dealer doesn't want to deal with it but its easy and a great addition they do hang like 2 inches lower than the non retractable
You just answered my question!
Cause my wife is short and complains about hopping up to the running board. I had to lower the ones on the 4RNR and she was able to get in much better.
So Hmm come next spring!

Nice summary of the project. thanks again.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:44 AM
Lil-moto
New User
Originally Posted by Wmchris
Did your truck have the chrome package? Did you use a code found in this forum or did you have to find something specific to your VIN? Did you just tap into the existing wiring harness for module connection as described above?
Thanks!

doesnt matter if you have the chrome package. You can only do it if you have a lariat or higher. Unless you change a lot of stuff out. Vin doesn’t matter yes I used the 9 he talked about for the forscan tool. Also changed the stereo to the Lincoln one, heated and a/c are on the screen like sync 2, mirrors fold in when I lock the truck and unfold when I start it, when in revers mirrors tilt down, also when you use high beams fogs stay on now. There’s a lot you can change with the forscan tool just have to know what your doing.

I havent finished the step mod yet do to you you have to make your own wiring harness. I’ll be done this week.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:27 AM
Wmchris
Mountain Pass

doesnt matter if you have the chrome package. You can only do it if you have a lariat or higher. Unless you change a lot of stuff out. Vin doesn’t matter yes I used the 9 he talked about for the forscan tool. Also changed the stereo to the Lincoln one, heated and a/c are on the screen like sync 2, mirrors fold in when I lock the truck and unfold when I start it, when in revers mirrors tilt down, also when you use high beams fogs stay on now. There’s a lot you can change with the forscan tool just have to know what your doing.

I havent finished the step mod yet do to you you have to make your own wiring harness. I’ll be done this week.
Thanks! Chrome package was the confirmation I was looking for as they couldn't be ordered with that package and Anibal's didn't have it. The other question was whether the module wires just tap in anywhere into the existing grey/orange and violet/orange wires that are in the cab harness? I have module and plugs ordered and was going to make sure it showed up on the screen before buying boards.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Wmchris
Mountain Pass
I also wasn't sure what the penciled in qualifier numbers represented in wiring diagram pic?

Old 09-04-2018, 05:50 PM
Lil-moto
New User
I haven’t tapped into any wires yet so I don’t know that part yet I’ll post more once I’m done and pics of everything I’ve done when I’m done

Quick Reply: Added factory power running boards to my truck