Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Added factory power running boards to my truck (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1515147-added-factory-power-running-boards-to-my-truck.html)

Anibal Medina 11-08-2017 07:28 PM

Added factory power running boards to my truck

How should I start? Well here I go, back in January I went on a search for the perfect Super Duty some of my requirements were long bed, Navigation, adaptive cruise control, lame keep, adaptive steering, outfitter switches, cab lights and sun roof. My wife’s list was short Power Running Boards. After searching for weeks the only trucks we could find were Platinums with really big price tags.

Well we found a truck Lariat with all the stuff on the list, except the power running boards, the dealer wanted $2000 to install aftermarket ones but to me that was not acceptable, we decided to get the truck and then worry about the the running boards well you know wife was not happy, but I finally convinced her and off we went. Well my luck has it that I had to go on deployment so everything kind off went on hold, but that gave me a chance to do some research 8 month time to be more precise. One day I just decided to get the parts I needed that way when I get back I can just install them.

Fast forward to last week with some help from wife we started putting the power running boards together and I started to build the harness for the power running boards and the power running board module that lives behind the back seat, with the help of the Forscan master Livinitup that provided the required IPC code to make the menu show on the display, with all that said I am happy and super exited to report that it is possible to add the factory power running boards to the truck, here is all the parts you need, you also need your truck specific code to make the menu appear on the IPC, but all will work just like it would from factory.

This is all you need for the out side of the truck

FL3Z-16490-D Need 2 this is the board

FL3Z-16A454-A Need 2 cap to board

FL3Z-16A455-A Need 2 cap to board

FL3Z-16A506-A bar from one bracket to other need 2

HC3Z-16A506-C motor bracket

HC3Z-16A507-C motor bracket

HC3Z-16A506-B aft bracket

HC3Z-16A507-B Aft bracket

You will also need the module that controls the boards
HC3Z-14C177-A
Some of what they call service pig tails
WPT-1169 need 2 for the motors
WPT-971 this is for the module

When all that is done you connect the module to the trucks network , make sure all the modules get power at the same time that way they can start talking to each other, so disconnect batteries and connect all then connect batteries back add the code to IPC and then you done, video and photos below also the I will upload more as i have time but I will answer any question to the best of my ability

Anibal Medina 11-08-2017 08:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Pictures after install the first 2 and before the last 2

Anibal Medina 11-08-2017 08:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More of location of cables and power running board module

Tricon 11-08-2017 08:37 PM

Awesome, nice job documenting it.

What did the parts end up costing you?

Anibal Medina 11-08-2017 08:41 PM

In all it was $1475, to me the price was worth it because a name brand aftermarket one would have cost about the same but would not have the ability to control them from dash,in other words not as elegant...

Gary E 11-09-2017 01:53 AM

So this way you can leave them extended when you park? Can you do that with the amp ones?

mtnbkr 11-09-2017 06:38 AM

Did Forscan update your badges to "PLATINUM"?

Anibal Medina 11-09-2017 06:43 AM

Lol no that was 35 dollars each on eBay

Anibal Medina 11-09-2017 06:51 AM

Well yes having retractable running boards present a new problem , the fix ones stick out so they protect the truck from people opening doors and hitting the truck, so I am planing on leaving them out in parking lots like Walmart and parking garages. As far as I can tell the only way to leave the AMP ones out is to open door step on it then close door that will make it think that there is an error and keep them out you have to do the same on both sides

fdny136 11-09-2017 06:51 AM

Great job Thanks for sharing

Anibal Medina 11-09-2017 07:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
hope i don't get in trouble with ford but here schematics that i used

Power Running Board Module plugs

Anibal Medina 11-09-2017 07:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The motors

Anibal Medina 11-09-2017 07:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Running board module and location...

mhoefer 11-09-2017 12:13 PM

Great post, well done. You got me thinking....

Anibal Medina 11-29-2017 04:49 PM

They working great