Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Message to Ford Service

Old 11-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Razkid
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Message to Ford Service

Hello, I recently purchased a "CPO" 2014 F150 Lariat Crew Cab from Grieco Ford in Raynham, MA. I decided to purchase a CPO vehicle rather then just a used truck from a non-dealer lot because of the "172 point inspection" that is supposed to be done to bring the vehicle up to a high standard of quality in a used vehicle. What a joke! When someone pays extra for a CPO vehicle they don't expect to have to fix or replace anything soon after the purchase.
This CPO inspection was "done" before the truck was offered for sale. I left a deposit and asked if I could take the truck home the next weekend (several days later) to inspect it. That's when I got the "Well we have done a 172 point inspection to be sure the truck is in great shape so there really isn't any reason to have to inspect it yourself". I said I would still like to take the truck and inspect it to which they finally agreed to let me take it for several hours.
I found the rear differential was leaking around the cover and the transmission driveshaft seal was leaking so there was fluid on the bottom of the cab right above the driveshaft seal. The rear brake pad's thickness were less than the thickness of the backing plate and the rotors were grooved. I told them I wanted new brake pads and either new rotors or turn them.
When I drove out of the dealership, the steering became very hard as I made a slow turn into the street. On the road the steering effort went back to normal, including turning. As I slowed down at the end of an off ramp and began to turn, the turning effort once again increased to the point it felt like there was no power steering. On the return trip back to the dealership I had no problem with the steering.
I foolishly didn't look at the inside of the tires during this inspection so didn't see the dry rot on one rear tire. When I brought the truck back I told them what problems I found and was told the repairs would be done under warranty.
When the repairs had been done I could see the rotors had been turned, new pads installed and could see sealant around the differential cover so I purchased the truck. I was told they couldn't find anything wrong with the steering effort.
At this time they couldn't bring it in for an inspection sticker because their machine was down so told me to come back in several days. The next day I got under the truck to inspect the driveshaft seal and it looks like they just cleaned off the bottom of the cab without replacing the seal. At this time I noticed the tire was cracked all the way around it. There is one split, right above a ridge, that goes all the way around the tire. The multiple cracks also go all the way around the tire.
I called the dealer and asked if a dry rotted tire with cracks all the way around it would pass inspection and was told it wouldn't because it is a safety hazard. I didn't tell the person who I was or that I had just purchased the truck. When I got to the dealership I told the service adviser that I had called about the tire and was there for a sticker. He looked at all of the tires and told me he didn't think the tire would pass inspection but told me to wait in the showroom and he would have the truck looked at. After about a half an hour I saw the sales manager go out to the service area and then return. He smiled and patted my shoulder as he walked by. I think he was smiling because he got away with not having to replace a tire. About another half hour went by until the service adviser came and told me the truck was ready and it passed inspection! I reminded him that he didn't think it would pass inspection but he said he was just the adviser and didn't know as much as the inspector. I drove to another inspection station and asked them if the tire would pass inspection and was told it wouldn't at their station.
I will definitely never buy another new or used vehicle from Grieco Ford if this is how they want to pass off a vehicle as being a CPO vehicle! Is this how Ford wants to be represented to the buying public?
They also wanted to illegally charge me $200 for a paint and upholstery protectant (a wax job and Scotchguard!). I was told they do this to all used vehicles so it is added on a separate line of the purchase agreement. I told the salesman that it was like selling someone a used car and then telling them they also owe you an additional $200 for the carburetor the dealer had to replace before the people purchased the vehicle. They took off the $200 when I showed them a letter from my lawyer saying they could be liable for triple damages ($600) plus his fee!
People be leery of Grieco Ford in Raynham, MA!!!!

Old 11-09-2017, 06:26 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,215 Likes on 798 Posts
Thanks for the buyer beware reminder. Unfortunately Ford isn't going to see this as they no longer monitor this site.

They stickered the truck and most likely shouldn't have but it's a judgement call that you'll never win.

However, tires come from the factory with a six year prorated warranty against defects such as this. You may have some luck going to a shop that sells these tires to see if you can get some assistance.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:56 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice write up...and yes it pays to do your own inspecting.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:50 AM
rbentnail
More Turbo
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
CPO, shmeeePO-- it's a used vehicle. IMHO:

A) If you trust someone else to do as thorough an inspection as you then you messed up;

B) Dealerships are in the business of selling stuff. If you expected anything else you messed up;

C) Sales Managers get bigger bonuses by selling more and fixing less. If you expected anything else you messed up;

D) If you think FoMoCo gives a damn then you messed up.

The one time I considered CPO, I asked for the same courtesy, only with a hitch. I wanted a copy of the completed inspection sheet from them and a few hrs to do the same inspection. They refused. I walked. And when you got the, ""Well we have done a 172 point inspection to be sure the truck is in great shape so there really isn't any reason to have to inspect it yourself" bright red warning flares should have gone off in your head and you should have walked away too.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:16 PM
SoonerLS
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford doesn't want that image, but they don't have that much say in the matter--the state laws are stacked in favor of the dealers.

If you really want to hurt the dealership, report them to the state agency that governs inspections. Stickering a truck that won't pass an inspection usually carries a pretty hefty fine. That's one of the reasons we did away with them; you can't do enough $5 inspections to make up for the five-figure fine that comes with making a mistake, so nobody wanted to do them.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:57 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,215 Likes on 798 Posts
I'd feel a lot better about the whole CPO inspection process if the vehicle was sent out to an unbiased inspector, a list of needed repairs was returned with the vehicle, the list was satisfied and then the vehicle was re-inspected for verification.

Of course this would all be time consuming and cost prohibitive. Hence, I'll never ever ever buy a used vehicle from a dealer.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Razkid
Freshman User
see next post

Old 11-10-2017, 10:16 PM
Razkid
Freshman User
[QUOTE=rbentnail;17579942]CPO, shmeeePO-- it's a used vehicle. IMHO:

A) If you trust someone else to do as thorough an inspection as you then you messed up; I don't trust them which is why I wanted to inspect it.

B) Dealerships are in the business of selling stuff. If you expected anything else you messed up; Really? I bet next you're going to tell me they are in the business to make a profit too!

C) Sales Managers get bigger bonuses by selling more and fixing less. If you expected anything else you messed up; I worked at a Ford dealership for eight years, many years ago, so I know the drill.

D) If you think FoMoCo gives a damn then you messed up. Ford replaced all four wheels on my 2012 Mustang because there were white spots starting to show under the clear finish and I only had a week left on the warranty. They also offered to replace the tailpipe on my 2013 Focus ST because the chrome exhaust tip was turning black from oil blowby caused by the turbo.

The one time I considered CPO, I asked for the same courtesy, only with a hitch. I wanted a copy of the completed inspection sheet from them and a few hrs to do the same inspection. I did get a copy of the inspection report for my inspection QUOTE]

SoonerLS, I do have an appointment with a Registry official next week. We are meeting at Grieco Ford so the person who inspected the truck can answer to the Registry official why the tire passed inspection. There is no guarantee but it's worth a shot.