Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

O.D. light blinking

Old 11-07-2017, 11:01 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
O.D. light blinking

Posting for my buddy...01 cclb 4x4 with JW trans. 3yrs/15k on it along with the Hydra with johns tunes.. Well, with the OD blinking, does it matter how many blinks, represents what's wrong or it just keeps blinking? Removed the hydra, cleared all codes that came up(KAM,P1000,P1211), only thing that popped back was the KAM and 1000...so, hydras for sale and now what you do with it blinking. Seems to run /shift clean, now that the chips' been removed. Prior to that, ALWAYS shifted with authority

Old 11-08-2017, 04:51 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
Pretty sure it just blinks to show codes are stored. No code is communicated by the blinks like on the older Fords. Need a good code reader to pull the trans codes.

First thing that pops to mind is the shift wire chafing inside the steering column, although I think there are usually drivability problems when that happens. Not difficult to check tho.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:09 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Did not think of the wire chafing. Fixed that issue years ago on same truck. Was a preventative move which we found the yellow wire chewed up along with the allen/torq bolts loose.... I'll throw it at him today👍

Old 11-08-2017, 08:29 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Removed the hydra, cleared all codes that came up(KAM,P1000,P1211),
That shows that the Hydra is not capable of reading transmission codes. You need a better way to read codes.

Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Pretty sure it just blinks to show codes are stored. No code is communicated by the blinks like on the older Fords. Need a good code reader to pull the trans codes.
That's true. It just flashes on/off, it does not send code information. You must have a scanner capable of reading Ford specific codes.

Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
First thing that pops to mind is the shift wire chafing inside the steering column, although I think there are usually drivability problems when that happens. Not difficult to check tho.
That will not set a code.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:22 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Waiting on word fellas, for him checking a few things...wire/s, fuses...etc. Will update with info

Old 11-08-2017, 09:16 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Waiting on word fellas, for him checking a few things...wire/s, fuses...etc. Will update with info
That's all a waste of time if he hasn't read the codes first.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:23 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
The (...etc) part was to contact the shop that installed the trans and plugged the hydra in and down loaded the tunes... What's the say'n Mark,... Can lead a horse to water...well, that's where I'M at anyhow

Old 11-09-2017, 12:39 PM
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the speedometer still work? When my '99 did the blinking thing the spedo would not work right. Ended up being the VSS sensor in the rear differential.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:32 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
^^^ just talked to him and asked. He said that it works. I went ahead and mentioned ANSI who "Mark", but ofcourse, he's sold on getn the pcm reflashed...beat'n a horse

Old 11-10-2017, 01:21 PM
jackstraw
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going through the same problems lately. The last time the light went to blinking, the code revealed problems with a worn-out ring gear in the differential. I believe the VSS works off of that.

I replaced the differential with one with far less miles, from a salvage.

Now the light is blinking again, simultaneously with an ABS light and I stopped by today to read up on ABS light threads. And to make it more fun, my truck was hit by lightning 3 years ago and the speedometer has randomly worked/not-worked ever since.

I replaced the VSS as a first step but that didn't help. I have yet to be able to get a code out of this, including with at least one pretty good shop scanner from Snap-On and some cheapies offered free at those friendly local auto parts stores.

Since the ABS light comes on with the key, before the truck goes in motion at all, I am thinking the positive, simple solution will be the sensor on the transmission which the ABS system uses to determine when to engage the brakes automatically due to the speed differences between what the rear end is doing and what the transmission spin rates would indicate the rear end _should_ be doing - if I understand the ABS system correctly.

I do have all the grounds clean, including the body strap, and the wire from the VSS seems good as far as I can follow it. The area of the trans I need to get to is protected by skid plates though, so eventually I will probably wimp out and let a shop put it up on a lift and as a first step, simply clean the sensors connected to the trans, and hope that fixes the little gremlin.

Or I need to learn more about the ABS system and the blinking light...the light doesn't start blinking until I hit 1800 RPMs, just as the first shift up will occur in the trans.

Anyhow, perhaps 17 years of road grim on the trans might be a simple fix for you, or for me. I sure hope so.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:27 PM
pirschwagon
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The ABS "System" is independent and has it own controller based on A/C Voltage from Wheel Sensor Out Put.

The Flashing TCIL is caused by a Fault in the Transmission or its communication.

Neither interact to provide intermittent braking cycles. BUT, a loss of A/C Voltage will cause the ABS Lamp to Flash. The TCIL is independent of all others.

You need to acquire a Scan Tool capable of Reading the PCM's Interface for both the ABS and Transmission Module.

Otherwise, your just "guessing" on what the issue is without direction.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:25 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by jackstraw
I have yet to be able to get a code out of this, including with at least one pretty good shop scanner from Snap-On and some cheapies offered free at those friendly local auto parts stores.
The cheap ones won't read Ford transmission codes. Snap On scanners will, but only if they have the Ford software. Without getting the codes you have almost no chance of fixing this.

Originally Posted by jackstraw
Since the ABS light comes on with the key, before the truck goes in motion at all, I am thinking the positive, simple solution will be the sensor on the transmission which the ABS system uses to determine when to engage the brakes automatically due to the speed differences between what the rear end is doing and what the transmission spin rates would indicate the rear end _should_ be doing - if I understand the ABS system correctly.
You don't understand the system correctly. The transmission is connected to the rear end by the driveshaft. The transmission and the input to the rear end spin at exactly the same speed all the time, unless you have a magic driveshaft that can disconnect itself and reconnect itself.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:13 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
follow up

So, got a text from my buddy, whose sitting at the shop that installed the trans. Apparently, the ABS module that we installed 2wks ago, is causing the OD light to blink.. That's what I'm hearing...

Old 11-27-2017, 03:29 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Sure it is...

Old 12-07-2017, 05:59 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
P0500 is what's illuminating. Was told mechanic cleared the code but it comes back. Tried new vss sensor and problem is still present

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O.D. light blinking