Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

OH I WISH...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 03:37 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I spent almost 2 years looking until I found mine. It just takes patience and perserverance until the right one comes along at the right time.

Personally I stay away from salvage titles regardless of condition. They are not worth anything close to what you'll pay for the vehicle (if you end up getting in an accident). They are also difficult and expensive to insure. Just my .02

Old 11-07-2017, 03:45 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
My ADHD prevented me from reading that whole, relevant post but...now that's it's been discussed I did notice the mismatched colors on the dash. They're close but no cigar. I know this because I have one of each around here. I'd stay away from a totaled vehicle myself, particularly at that price. Now if it was $6000 I might give it a once over.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:45 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
I have had this conversation with my wife (insurance person) and it boils down to 'some' can be fixed, but never the same... and you can never get rid of the stigma of a title search and those big unknows of 'totaled' in it's past.

Do you want to carry around that stigma if you buy this truck? this may be that red flag of why it has been on the lot so long.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:53 PM
Wick.y
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brother Les
I would not be able to give you a price on what I would pay.... or the value that would be good for the truck. 'Totaled' kills the conversation with a lot of sDealers and bankers. You should research this better and know for sure what happened to the truck and if all is good. And then shoot lower on a price...

I would pass it by for other reasons than what we have talked about here. It could be a great truck for the right person, but 12,000 is too high.

I have a 4-door crew cab and my adult kids would never ride in those jump seats. It would be 'ok' if I did not like my kids and they could stay home when me and the wife goes on vacation (we have a 35 foot camper). But.... I like my kids and I like being around them.... 'they' would not let me buy a truck ..... so small....
Yeah.. I guess I would really need to test drive it.... the problem is its actually 250 miles away from me, not the 150 I was thinking. About a 4 hour drive there, and 4 hour which would be worth it, if I ended up getting the truck. But kinda crappy if I don't.

Any idea's on how to do that research? All I've been able to see is the Carfax. I tried googling the vin number to see if I could find any history reports, but that was a no go. just not sure what else I can do, and not sure if the "sDealer", as you call it, would be honest with me. I love my kiddos, but right now they are 2 and 6months. My dad had a 2008 F150 that was the Super-cab(3door) like this one, and I remember when I was like 12, my two siblings(who were in a car seat and booster seat) and I fit pretty comfortably. By the time my kids would no longer fit in the truck, I'll definitely have it paid off, and might be ready to upgrade anyway.

I'm also only 5'6" and my wife is 5'3" and our daughter is below the 50th percentile, so that truck would actually seem pretty big to me. I know it would because my late cousin had the truck accept Tan and the one time I drove it, it was huge.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:55 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,183 Likes on 812 Posts
Heres one close too me for $3200 with clean tittle and needs a bit of TLC and a bed, 03 f250 ccsb XLT 7.3 4x4 176k miles, i havent driven it or give it a go around, i was planning to buy it for the wife but she didnt want it.

And no its not a for sale add
Oh dont mind the 05+ badges

Old 11-07-2017, 04:01 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Wick.y
Well the truck is originally from TX so it could have been used for cattle or horses. Something it will be used for again if I got it.

That's quite the assumption that the new owner put the gauges in there because he wanted to "soup it up". regardless of what truck I get, the first thing I'm doing to it is putting the gauges in so I can monitor what's going on in my engine.

The Carfax has several maintenance inspection and oil changes. The 3 owners. All in Texas, seems like it ended up in GA after a vehicle auction. The only thing is that it was reported a total loss.

In January, 2009 it was reported stolen, and the same day reported a total loss by the insurance company. It says:

January 20th, 2009: "Vehicle reported stolen
Vehicle recovered after theft"

January 20th, 2009: "Vehicle declared a total loss
by an insurance company
Non-collision damage reported
Owner retained vehicle"

So that was a thing.
Regarding a stolen vehicle, insurance companies automatically declare it a total loss because they have no idea what was done to the vehicle during the theft and do not want the liability. A buddies Jeep was stolen while we were overseas, they took the hood, tires and the CB nothing else was done to it...insurance declared it a total loss. They paid it off, he bought it back.
Regarding the gauges, IMO that's a GOOD THING, whoever was towing actually CARED what was going on with the truck. The truck is 17 years old, there's going to be dings etc, it can't hurt to go look at it. Ranchers/ Farmers tend to take care of their stuff because money doesn't just grow in their fields.

Wick.y
Freshman User
Oh yeah, does anyone know what that screen is by the 4x4 stick?

Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Heres one close too me for $3200 with clean tittle and needs a bit of TLC and a bed, 03 f250 ccsb XLT 7.3 4x4 176k miles, i havent driven it or give it a go around, i was planning to buy it for the wife but she didnt want it.

And no its not a for sale add
Oh dont mind the 05+ badges
That puppy looks ruff, I don't blame the wife for not wanting it.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:06 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Yes it is but for the price its worth it specially the northerners that love rust free trucks the only reason the wife didnt want it was because its lifted

Old 11-07-2017, 04:08 PM
Wick.y
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Colorado350
Regarding a stolen vehicle, insurance companies automatically declare it a total loss because they have no idea what was done to the vehicle during the theft and do not want the liability. A buddies Jeep was stolen while we were overseas, they took the hood, tires and the CB nothing else was done to it...insurance declared it a total loss. They paid it off, he bought it back.
Regarding the gauges, IMO that's a GOOD THING, whoever was towing actually CARED what was going on with the truck. The truck is 17 years old, there's going to be dings etc, it can't hurt to go look at it. Ranchers/ Farmers tend to take care of their stuff because money doesn't just grow in their fields.
I'm glad someone else thinks this truck might be worth it. And originally that's what I was thinking, but people were very persistent that is was totaled... Since it was reported stolen, then a total loss in the same day, I figured the insurance company automatically assumed it was never coming back.

I really want to go look at it this weekend during our long weekend. However, that's going to be a very hard sell to the wife so she'll agree to that 8 hour trip.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:08 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter

The front upholstery can be fixed... back seat cleaned. Weather guard mats for the floor.

I am right now having a local Upholster redoing my two Perfed Leather Captains Chairs... total cost for both 1,700.

You can get an after market bed, no problem

Old 11-07-2017, 04:11 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I'm glad someone else thinks this truck might be worth it.
If you think it's worth it then it's worth it. Just realize there's not much on the other side if you try to resell it or get into an accident. My friends thought I was crazy to pay lots of money to go from my truck with 150K miles to the F-250 with 146K miles. To me it was worth it so I made the investment. 10 years later I still have the truck and I don't regret it.

Oh yeah, does anyone know what that screen is by the 4x4 stick?
Possibly a Star Trek communicator?

Old 11-07-2017, 04:12 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
You guys got it bad, my upholster did my whole interior on my OBS for like $450 minus door panels. I love Mexico.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:15 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by z31freakify
You guys got it bad, my upholster did my whole interior on my OBS for like $450 minus door panels. I love Mexico.

Drive in service.... will be done after you finish your shopping.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:22 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Brother Les
I don't leave the country... my CCW will no allow it.
Its one of those things you got to leave to chance lol..... It pretty safe in Juarez Mexico even tho the news makes it look like a horrible killing frenzy city, if you aint with the croocks your safe

Quick Reply: OH I WISH...