2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ham Radio & Antenna Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 07:45 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Ham Radio & Antenna Install

Hello Folks,

I've been searching read some threads, cant come up with a solid plan so I figure maybe id get some traffic in my own.

Here is my disclaimer, I know what I am about to ask isn't technically legal, I got a huge amount of flack from a local guy who was a "friend" and he no longer talks to me.

So here's the questions:

I'm looking for a remote head type of Ham radio, I think I can mount it in the cubby with the slide cover in the front of the console, hopefully mount the other part of the unit under the rear seat. I'm looking for recommendations on a nice unit, I don't want to spend thousands as this truck will sit most of the time. Here comes the part that got me in trouble, I would like to have the ability to be able to talk on the CB side as well, I travel with a group of guys that aren't HAM operators so Id like to get away from having 2 radios and antennas on my truck. Obviously space here in the 17 is the biggest reason.

Next question is Id actually like to have a permanent mount antenna this time as I don't want wires running through the door or have to make it work with the 3rd brake light, I'm also not sure if Id have to run a ground to the antenna somehow being its an aluminum truck. Obviously Id like it centered on the roof, but looks like there is a raised portion directly in the center which I would assume is a support bar and cant be drilled through.

Again, I know that some of the things I am asking aren't really on the up and up, but I'm not looking to over talk anyone, just want to be able to communicate with the pack through 1 unit. I only have a technicians license so I don't have "full" access anyway.

Also if you have done this remote head mod, or know of a remote head CB (Not the cheap hand held type), post those as well.

Thanks,

Sarge

Old 10-27-2017, 08:10 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a Stryker SR-89MC transceiver. It works great and has a remote head to allow the unit to be mounted under the seat or in the console. I think you might like this unit. It has served me well. I have not yet permanently mounted my unit so I can't address the antenna mounting options. I am considering fabricating a mount that will come out from under the rear bumper. My problem is, I park under a carport at home and an antenna mounted anywhere else isn't an option.

Unfortunately the Stryker SR-89MC once converted to work on 11 meters (CB) will no longer function on 10 meters. It's a very moderately priced radio. To have the best of both worlds you would have to by one of the more expensive units to work both on 10 and 11 meters.

Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2017, 09:12 AM
1956Fatfenders
Elder User
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I will not judge, as back in the day, I had a Ranger 2610 for Chicken Band. Worked great. The FCC hasn't given a crap about 11 meters since the 70's, and unless you're creating deliberate interference to someone, and they complain, repeatedly, its a non-issue.

As a "reformed" CBer, who has been a licensed amateur since the 80's, I don't play with anything beyond the assigned bands. I see Ranger still makes similar radios, and I'd bet mods are just as easy to find. I did find this with a quick Google:
10 and 12 Meter Ham Radio Transceivers -Ranger 10 meter radios Ranger RCI-2950DX & RCI-2970DX Transceivers

My F-250 is the 1st vehicle in my last five that I haven't already punched a 3/4" hole in the middle of the roof for an NMO mount. Not sure how the aluminum body and galvanic corrosion would be affected by doing that. IF I were to punch a hole, I would do a lot of research before even starting.

While this doesn't solve your CB issue, if you end up needing to have 2 radios, you want them as small as possible. For a 2M/70cm radio in my 2012 F-150 (RIP), I ran a Yaesu FT-90R. Best radio I ever found for size, function, and ability to find a place to mount the control head. I still have it if I ever get brave enough to punch that hole.

While the car in this is not mine, you see how small the head is, and being super light, I just velcro'd it to the dash.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:46 PM
rcorkum4
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ham radio antenna mount

Originally Posted by 1956Fatfenders
I will not judge, as back in the day, I had a Ranger 2610 for Chicken Band. Worked great. The FCC hasn't given a crap about 11 meters since the 70's, and unless you're creating deliberate interference to someone, and they complain, repeatedly, its a non-issue.

As a "reformed" CBer, who has I been a licensed amateur since the 80's, I don't play with anything beyond the assigned bands. I see Ranger still makes similar radios, and I'd bet mods are just as easy to find. I did find this with a quick Google:
10 and 12 Meter Ham Radio Transceivers -Ranger 10 meter radios Ranger RCI-2950DX & RCI-2970DX Transceivers

My F-250 is the 1st vehicle in my last five that I haven't already punched a 3/4" hole in the middle of the roof for an NMO mount. Not sure how the aluminum body and galvanic corrosion would be affected by doing that. IF I were to punch a hole, I would do a lot of research before even starting.

While this doesn't solve your CB issue, if you end up needing to have 2 radios, you want them as small as possible. For a 2M/70cm radio in my 2012 F-150 (RIP), I ran a Yaesu FT-90R. Best radio I ever found for size, function, and ability to find a place to mount the control head. I still have it if I ever get brave enough to punch that hole.

While the car in this is not mine, you see how small the head is, and being super light, I just velcro'd it to the dash.
Ham Radio Outlet has a fender mount specifically designed for 2017 and later Super Duties. It has an insulator between the aluminum fender and steel mount. Fire stick makes a quick disconnect fitting that that you could use to switch between a CB and 2 meter/70cm antenna.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:36 PM
GoDuke1
Senior User
i don't have the center console. I'm using a Yaesu FT-7900 and just a fender mount made for the F series trucks 2015+ from comet. This will not solve your 11 meter requirement. I don't know of any amateur radio that will do 11 meter AM, nor any 11 Meter that will do 2 meters. The closest thing would be a Yaesu FT-8900R it will do 10 Meter FM, and TYT makes a clone of that radio called a TYT TH-9800 (a lot cheaper). I went with a NMO mount 2/70cm Dual band antenna and they do make quad band antennas that will do 10/50/2/70 that might work for 11 meters. You could use a antenna switcher, but I still see 2 radios in your future. Install was pretty simple. Main radio under the drivers seat and the head mounted under the radio. I've since moved the speaker in this picture under the radio. All attached with 3m outdoor 2 sided tape. NO HOLES.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:14 PM
bcnu53
Freshman User
how or where did you penetrate the firewall with the coax?. mount and antenna looks good.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:39 AM
GoDuke1
Senior User
I actually entered the cab through a grommet under the drivers floorboard, then ran along the door plate (It just pops up) and ran it along the vehicles wiring harness and then under the drivers seat

Old 10-30-2017, 12:12 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Thanks Folks,

Guess its back to the drawing boards for me, sadly, it seems everything I want to do it a chore.

Sarge

Old 10-30-2017, 03:25 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,176 Likes on 680 Posts
Wondering how the aluminum cab effects antenna grounding?

Old 10-30-2017, 09:00 PM
rcorkum4
Junior User
Grounding

Originally Posted by Paw's 150 Lariat
Wondering how the aluminum cab effects antenna grounding?
I have a front fender mount and the is a grounding strap from the driver side battery about 6” from the location of the mount.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:20 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I finally got a hold of someone that was willing to actually sit down and spend sometime educating me some.

A few things I've learned:

With the technicians license a I'm very limited to what bands I can Tx on, I forgot about that.

I can do a MARS/CAP mod to certain radios that will allow me to TX on the CB channels, it can be done to a radio and some manufacturers will even do it and retain the warranty. This is the route I may go, looks like I can use a 10m antenna and be covered with most of what I'm allowed to communicate on.

I honestly would like to get more into the hobby but I don't know anyone out there really that I know on the radio. Again I am only pursuing this in order to talk to my RV buddies who refuse to get a HAM license too.

Looks like I just need to track down some sort of antenna and mount now.

Sarge

Old 03-18-2018, 06:38 PM
n0tan
New User
Originally Posted by 1956Fatfenders
I'm with you on NOT punching a hole in a new truck, but Ford hasn't started building the Super Duty's out of aluminum alloy yet. Only the F150's are aluminum alloy.

I thought so too, but my wife got mine lightly T-boned in an intersection about two months ago (all fixed now) and the body shop told me that the Super Duty's aren't aluminum yet, so I tried a magnet and sure enough, it's steel.

I think the Chevrolet commercial where they dump a load of cinder block into the bed of a Ford and it punches holes in it made me think they all were, but that's just Chevrolet FUD (Fear Uncertainty Doubt). FUD is what many companies use to try to convince you not to go with a competitor.

If you have an F250 +, then you have a steel truck; no matter the year... at least so far.

Update: Mine is a 2016 and even though the body shop says Ford hasn't started making the super duty's out of aluminum yet, there are LOTS of articles online that say the 2017+ ARE aluminum so I don't know. I'd go stick a magnet on it to be sure.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:15 PM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by n0tan
I'm with you on NOT punching a hole in a new truck, but Ford hasn't started building the Super Duty's out of aluminum alloy yet. Only the F150's are aluminum alloy.

I thought so too, but my wife got mine lightly T-boned in an intersection about two months ago (all fixed now) and the body shop told me that the Super Duty's aren't aluminum yet, so I tried a magnet and sure enough, it's steel.

I think the Chevrolet commercial where they dump a load of cinder block into the bed of a Ford and it punches holes in it made me think they all were, but that's just Chevrolet FUD (Fear Uncertainty Doubt). FUD is what many companies use to try to convince you not to go with a competitor.

If you have an F250 +, then you have a steel truck; no matter the year... at least so far.

Update: Mine is a 2016 and even though the body shop says Ford hasn't started making the super duty's out of aluminum yet, there are LOTS of articles online that say the 2017+ ARE aluminum so I don't know. I'd go stick a magnet on it to be sure.
2016 was the last year of steel bodies on the Super Duties. 2017 and up Super Duties are in fact aluminum. I'd find a different body shop if they aren't aware of the OEMs' construction methods & materials.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:17 PM
n0tan
New User
Originally Posted by Tom N OH
2016 was the last year of steel bodies on the Super Duties. 2017 and up Super Duties are in fact aluminum. I'd find a different body shop if they aren't aware of the OEMs' construction methods & materials.
They did a great job. I think the confusion was that mine (2016) wasn't Aluminum and I thought it was. I conflated the issue.

I'm in Colorado Springs, and if my truck were an aluminum one, then they would have had to tow it to Denver to get fixed, so FYI, if you get your aluminum truck banged up in traffic it will be an extra two or three weeks to get it fixed over steel.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:15 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarge261
Hello Folks,

I've been searching read some threads, cant come up with a solid plan so I figure maybe id get some traffic in my own.

Here is my disclaimer, I know what I am about to ask isn't technically legal, I got a huge amount of flack from a local guy who was a "friend" and he no longer talks to me.

So here's the questions:

I'm looking for a remote head type of Ham radio, I think I can mount it in the cubby with the slide cover in the front of the console, hopefully mount the other part of the unit under the rear seat. I'm looking for recommendations on a nice unit, I don't want to spend thousands as this truck will sit most of the time. Here comes the part that got me in trouble, I would like to have the ability to be able to talk on the CB side as well, I travel with a group of guys that aren't HAM operators so Id like to get away from having 2 radios and antennas on my truck. Obviously space here in the 17 is the biggest reason.

Next question is Id actually like to have a permanent mount antenna this time as I don't want wires running through the door or have to make it work with the 3rd brake light, I'm also not sure if Id have to run a ground to the antenna somehow being its an aluminum truck. Obviously Id like it centered on the roof, but looks like there is a raised portion directly in the center which I would assume is a support bar and cant be drilled through.

Again, I know that some of the things I am asking aren't really on the up and up, but I'm not looking to over talk anyone, just want to be able to communicate with the pack through 1 unit. I only have a technicians license so I don't have "full" access anyway.

Also if you have done this remote head mod, or know of a remote head CB (Not the cheap hand held type), post those as well.

Thanks,

Sarge
For something that isn't used very often, it would seem to me that a hand held CB radio would work just fine. I doubt there would ever be more than a few miles between you and the people you want to talk to.

Quick Reply: Ham Radio & Antenna Install