1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

is a 351C points style distributor a direct drop in for the 351M?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 10:38 PM
hail destroyer
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks

Old 10-23-2017, 11:00 PM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
No.

deck height is taller on the M. Will not work. Why in the sam hell would you go from electronic ignition to points?

Old 10-24-2017, 12:09 AM
hail destroyer
Elder User
For the same reason old people use rotary phones instead of cell phones. Its what I grew up, its what I understand, an d Ive never had a problem with them.

I like a vehicle I can maintain with a pocket full of spare parts and a few basic hand tools.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:27 AM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Received 740 Likes on 593 Posts
Well that works for a good enough reason. I do believe that if you want a direct swap-in distributor you have to go over to a 460 engine. Guessing there are still some points-type distributors around in the yards. Or for that matter, just new in a store is likely not that expensive.

Did you happen to have the Cleveland distributor handy? Or did you know where to snag one?

Paul

Old 10-24-2017, 03:54 AM
hail destroyer
Elder User
https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom.../www.bing.com/

Im keeping complicated electronics OUT of the vehicle I need around my farm, this is one of the reasons. Yes, Ive got spares.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:05 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hail destroyer

Im keeping complicated electronics OUT of the vehicle I need around my farm, this is one of the reasons. Yes, Ive got spares.
The police will be able to shut down a modern IGN Sys, which may be inconvenient during a chase. Also, when the Greys finally decide to land, they can do the same. An old points system will not be affected...

All M-block (351M/400) distributors are mechanically interchangeable with all 351C engines and all 385-series (429/460) engines. However, much like carburetors, distributors are calibrated for a specific vehicle and engine application.
SOURCE- M-Block 351M/400 Parts Reference

Old 10-24-2017, 10:39 PM
hail destroyer
Elder User
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
The police will be able to shut down a modern IGN Sys, which may be inconvenient during a chase. Also, when the Greys finally decide to land, they can do the same. An old points system will not be affected...

SOURCE- M-Block 351M/400 Parts Reference

Ive be watching the world become more and more dependent upon new technology, and when I was on active duty, they showed us some seriously spooky stuff from cars computers being hacked EASILY, remotely to driving habits and geo locs being tracked by the fedgov and ins companies on any OBD II and newer vehicle, to the cop-spike strip thing to the very real threat of EMP....it was at that time that I decided.....that LOW tech is the BEST tech.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:24 AM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts

thanks

Originally Posted by hivoltj
No.

deck height is taller on the M. Will not work. Why in the sam hell would you go from electronic ignition to points?
That is not correct.

The distributors are the same between the 351C and the 400/3551M block even though the deck height changed between the 351C and the 400 Blocks the distributor did not.
As seen in the below pic of a 351C and 400 block the installed height of the distributor did not change.

Furthermore if you click on the item number for the A-1 CARDONE 302893 Reman distributor for the 351M at the below link you will see it back dates to 74 in the applications when the Cleveland was still in production plus it carries D4 Ford Pt number.

1975 FORD LTD 5.8L 351cid V8 Distributor | RockAuto

Old 10-25-2017, 01:33 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Talking

Ive be watching the world become more and more dependent upon new technology, and when I was on active duty, they showed us some seriously spooky stuff from cars computers being hacked EASILY, remotely to driving habits and geo locs being tracked by the fedgov and ins companies on any OBD II and newer vehicle, to the cop-spike strip thing to the very real threat of EMP....it was at that time that I decided.....that LOW tech is the BEST tech.
Do you remember when the public scoffed at black helicopters?

Old 10-30-2017, 10:40 AM
BaltoMoJoe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matthew,
after reading this post, and looking at your link, I got to thinking, my distributor vacuum advance is rusty, and I'm not sure it works correctly, so maybe I should just get a new distributor, as the prices are very reasonable.

I noticed your link is for an LTD, so I went to my 1979 F150 5.8L, and looked at them, which are mostly the same ones, but now here's my question,

how do I know, or tell if mine is a single or dual vacuum, or has a governor or not ?

Old 10-30-2017, 05:56 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by BaltoMoJoe
Matthew,
after reading this post, and looking at your link, I got to thinking, my distributor vacuum advance is rusty, and I'm not sure it works correctly, so maybe I should just get a new distributor, as the prices are very reasonable.

I noticed your link is for an LTD, so I went to my 1979 F150 5.8L, and looked at them, which are mostly the same ones, but now here's my question,

how do I know, or tell if mine is a single or dual vacuum, or has a governor or not ?
See below pics
First is a dual diaphragm
Second is a single diaphragm

The governor I believe the are referring to would be fitted to the carb.
So I do not think they are meaning the distributor has a governor like the old VW distributors that just shorted out at a given RPM. I have never seen an Autolite/Motorcraft distributor with an internal governor.
I don't think Ford ever used them. I won't say for sure that Ford never used them as with Ford anything is possible lol.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:16 PM
lalberts
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom.../www.bing.com/

You can get a completely rebuilt points distributor at Napa auto parts. around $100. Don't know about the 351's but I did it for my 390 and I want to stay with points also!

Old 10-30-2017, 06:55 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 69 Likes on 68 Posts
Beware, while the rebuilt distributors themselves may be good - and it is the heart of your engine after all, all of the rebuilders seem to ship with el-cheapo points and condenser. Only use quality NOS or NORS ignition components. Autolite, Echlin, Standard Ignition. If using points they both have to be top quality.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:43 PM
lalberts
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Beware, while the rebuilt distributors themselves may be good - and it is the heart of your engine after all, all of the rebuilders seem to ship with el-cheapo points and condenser. Only use quality NOS or NORS ignition components. Autolite, Echlin, Standard Ignition. If using points they both have to be top quality.
So agree! I had to replace both points and condenser almost immediately as I had a problem with the condenser I found out.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:26 PM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Thumbs up IMO

Originally Posted by Tedster9

Beware, while the rebuilt distributors themselves may be good - and it is the heart of your engine after all, all of the rebuilders seem to ship with el-cheapo points and condenser.

Only use quality NOS or NORS ignition components. Autolite, Echlin, Standard Ignition. If using points they both have to be top quality.
The quality of the rebuilt dist may vary also. If they even bother to confirm the mechanical advance is functional they will not calibrate the distributor curve to your particular application, i.e. one may fit a hundred.

And, as mentioned, they are not using FORD/MOTORCRAFT parts but whatever the CHI-COM deal of the day is, and it's gonna cost you.

I believe new MOTORCRAFT IGN parts are still available.

V8 Points (1957/ ) B8Q 12171-A - Condenser C9AZ 12300-A - Breaker Plate Asm D2PZ 12151-A.

The above are from memory as I no longer have my MPC. Bill and/or JEFFAFA will have to confirm the PN's and availability. They also have MOTORCRAFT short numbers so price shop online.

Some speed shops still have a distributor machine that can allow them to set any curve you need or want.

Quick Reply: is a 351C points style distributor a direct drop in for the 351M?