What brand hitch does Ford use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 01:29 PM
GT4point6
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What brand hitch does Ford use?

Looking at ordering a 2018 SD 350 CCLB with fifth wheel hitch installed.
Does anyone know what brand 5th wheel hitch Ford uses? Build page doesn't specify.

B&W and Pullrite both have hitches that are OE ready and cost about the same as the Ford unit.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 10-20-2017, 04:55 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's a Reese. I bought a B&W new online much cheaper than the dealer and I like it better than Reese. Not saying Reese is bad, just personal preference.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:50 AM
Good listener
Senior User
I negotiated the Ford/Reese at dealer cost when I ordered my truck. You might give that a try. I saved over $300. It didn't cost the dealer anything and made me a happier customer.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:35 AM
GT4point6
More Turbo
Perfect and thank you!

Old 10-21-2017, 10:18 AM
rwtdct
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the benefits of buying it through the dealer is, it will be included in the financing, do some negotiating.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:04 PM
Good listener
Senior User
Originally Posted by rwtdct
One of the benefits of buying it through the dealer is, it will be included in the financing, do some negotiating.
Another thing is the hitch is covered under vehicle warranty. The dealers don't repair them if there is a problem. They will just order you a new hitch. They told me order to delivery time is two business days.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:10 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
They will also set it up for you.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:21 PM
Good listener
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
They will also set it up for you.
I would check with the dealer as to set up. The folks at my dealership freely admitted they were not familiar with 5th wheels or the hitches. My hitch was delivered in a wooden crate that was loaded into the truck by a hi lo. I took the hitch home and uncrated it in the truck bed. The instructions are very straight forward and the adjustment/assembly is something you should become familiar with. The hitch comes with the base assembled, and the bolts need to be torque checked before first use. The lugs were a prefect fit into the bed puck holes. The pan is easy to mount after greasing and using the two hitch pins. You may have to adjust the hitch height if the factory height does not give you a level rig with 6 inches of bed rail clearance. The whole procedure took less than an hour once I got it unpacked. I had to raise the hitch one hole to level my trailer. The 18K hitch has worked great for three years and 10,000 or more miles. It hooks up really easy an the single hook lets you know the pin is secure when you see it cross the pan opening. I like the way it disassembles quickly into two parts so I can take it out and store it in between trips.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:15 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I totally agree on setting it up yourself. The dealer will probably be having the lot boy do it. They aren't going to tie up a mechanic for a job like this. You also have to know how it is assembled to help determine if there are any problems. The B&W has a grease zerk on the main pivot shaft that can't be accessed when the hitch is in place. You need to know these little intricacies of which ever unit you have. I also put a light coating of grease on the moly saddles where the two halves mate. Lot boy isn't doing anything but match part A to part B.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:37 PM
Good listener
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69cj
Lot boy isn't doing anything but match part A to part B.
It's about that difficult. If you set it up, you'll know how the hitch works. My hitch did not require any puck adjustments and fits rock solid, like it was made for the truck. There isn't much at all to the maintenance of these hitches. Periodically applying grease to the saddle horns and greasing the latch pivot is basically it. The instructions show where to apply the grease. I check the base bolt torque once or twice a year, it only takes a couple of minutes. I lightly sand and paint the saddle pan with high temp paint one a year to keep it looking like new.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:53 AM
rwtdct
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Good listener
It's about that difficult. If you set it up, you'll know how the hitch works. My hitch did not require any puck adjustments and fits rock solid, like it was made for the truck. There isn't much at all to the maintenance of these hitches. Periodically applying grease to the saddle horns and greasing the latch pivot is basically it. The instructions show where to apply the grease. I check the base bolt torque once or twice a year, it only takes a couple of minutes. I lightly sand and paint the saddle pan with high temp paint one a year to keep it looking like new.
If you set it up your self you become familiar and know it will be to your standards. I have learned over the years to not trust any ones work but my own.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:46 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My 2011 F250 has a 16k Reese hitch. Being in my upper 60's and without the lift or tools, I found a man through the campers that I trust have good judgement and have used before and again and again. His company in CT is RVMark and did a great job that everyone inspected at the seasonal campground. Very personable and good work. Only problem is he is so good that everyone wants to use him and you have to have understanding that it sometime takes time for him to get to you.

I believe that there are guys like this all over the country and if you find the people you trust that have good results and highly recommend them you can get good results.

Just a note that there was a second guy named Eric and found that they help each other out. Both nothing but raves for both men.