1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

'69 Longbed...the work continues...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 10:17 AM
Christopher McComb
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'69 Longbed...the work continues...

Did some basic maintenance and some 'updates.' Oil-change and sparkplugs. The great news is that every plug was "field mouse brown" with no sign of oil or fouling. Gapped the plugs at .040 per what I've seen here in the forums...might go to .045 in the quest for improved fuel economy.

My engine is in REALLY good shape. There are no leaks of any kind and the engine got a new timing chain and cover, water pump, and fuel pump just last November. The electronic ignition has really made it start-up on the first try and the new dual-exhaust sounds sweet. It's not a performance vehicle (yet) but I have a great base upon which to build. FiTech EFI and an Edlebrock 4-bbl intake are on the horizon now.

In the update column I removed the last vestiges of the aftermarket A/C system that died a long time ago. Removed the old, broken condenser that sat in front of the radiator and the idler pulley and bracket for the old compressor. The engine bay looks considerably better without the old, non functioning pulley and bracket in the way.

The next improvement will be engine/trans mounts and new rear shocks. I will also be taking a grinder to some small areas of the frame and putting some paint/primer down. The only way to beat rust is to stay ahead of it. Oh, and the air cleaner cover is in sad shape. A little Ford Blue paint should clean that up nicely.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:34 AM
pchelp
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher McComb
Did some basic maintenance and some 'updates.' Oil-change and sparkplugs. The great news is that every plug was "field mouse brown" with no sign of oil or fouling. Gapped the plugs at .040 per what I've seen here in the forums...might go to .045 in the quest for improved fuel economy.

My engine is in REALLY good shape. There are no leaks of any kind and the engine got a new timing chain and cover, water pump, and fuel pump just last November. The electronic ignition has really made it start-up on the first try and the new dual-exhaust sounds sweet. It's not a performance vehicle (yet) but I have a great base upon which to build. FiTech EFI and an Edlebrock 4-bbl intake are on the horizon now.

In the update column I removed the last vestiges of the aftermarket A/C system that died a long time ago. Removed the old, broken condenser that sat in front of the radiator and the idler pulley and bracket for the old compressor. The engine bay looks considerably better without the old, non functioning pulley and bracket in the way.

The next improvement will be engine/trans mounts and new rear shocks. I will also be taking a grinder to some small areas of the frame and putting some paint/primer down. The only way to beat rust is to stay ahead of it. Oh, and the air cleaner cover is in sad shape. A little Ford Blue paint should clean that up nicely.
You know that saying, "if there are no pictures it never happened"?

Old 10-20-2017, 01:33 PM
CrossPlainCrazy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pchelp
You know that saying, "if there are no pictures it never happened"?
I second this