1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

My truck & some thoughs

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 03:53 PM
2323foru
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck & some thoughs

Bought this truck for my son 4-5 yrs ago but he needed something else. Since I am the type to tinker I kept it and have been working on it ever since.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/m...18-136596.html

I have done many different things to the truck including;

general
repainted doors, dash (bondo)
mounted steps
paint shop; bedliner spray and bottom of truck
different seat (one that wasn't ripped JY)

Mechanical
rebuilt steering column
Replaced engine with 351w HO
new edelbrock carb
solenoid
ignition module
steering gearbox
radiator
water pump
thermostat
battery and cables
transmission modulator valve
tires
radiator

Some thoughts
Deciding whether to restore this truck or not. Will probable paint this winter myself. I haven't painted a car or truck myself and it seems like a fun project. Once I do that I will probable look at replacing the engine and front end.

Or just drive it till it drops.. Not sure..

Last edited by ctubutis; 08-23-2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: changed from IMG to URL
Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 AM
garthneddy
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Your pic doesn't work

Old 08-22-2013, 09:51 PM
mattparham1
Junior User
Im 70% done with mine its an 82 with 300six I rebult the engine put a 500 edelbrock, 4 barrel intake, headers, sandblaated and painted the frame, rebuilt suspention, and drivetrain and replacedo body panels, as well as all new interior and exterior parts, window regs trim that kind off stuff. And some far I love it, only complaint it got alot more expensive than planned. But if youve got the time idea say absolutely, its nice having a restored model that not alot off people do.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:33 PM
2323foru
Junior User
that sounds pretty cool. Do you sandblast the frame yourself ? I was wondering about which way would be best; either sandblasting or sanding with a air sander ? The paint on my truck is thick from at least one other paint job in the past. Don't really know anything about prep and painting. You can see my truck in my album if you follow my hashtag. I would like to see what your truck looks like also. I understand what you mean about over budget.. I don't have a lot of money to put in the build but I don't mind putting time & labor in. I have been thinking about using tractor supply paint and an air gun to spray the bed and seperately the cab. I am a little worried about how to prep the truck though. Thanks for your reply

Old 08-22-2013, 11:04 PM
mattparham1
Junior User
Sand blast for sure a sander just cant get too all the nooks and crannies, and be sure too paint or prep with someting like phoshphoric acid soon after surface rust will encompass it within 24 hours. And as far a tsc paint donte do it polyurethanes and enamel single parts like that are extreemly brittle and very low in luster, youll be dissapointed in the outcome and when it comes time too do it correctly either youll be paing someone extra too remove or bd cussing yourself. If you wanted too make a real effort too improve quality and save monet prime yourself and then send too a paint shop for the finess thing dings, top coat and clear......clear being the absolute hardest. If you do prep it just sand, not sand blast ( sandblasting will wa rpm large surface area panels) too bare metal and clean clean clean before you prime, and acid etch is even more preferable. Remember the clear is only as good as the paint, the paints onyx as good as the primer, and the primers only as good as the prep.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2323foru
Bought this truck for my son 4-5 yrs ago but he needed something else. Since I am the type to tinker I kept it and have been working on it ever since.

I have done many different things to the truck including;

general
repainted doors, dash (bondo)
mounted steps
paint shop; bedliner spray and bottom of truck
different seat (one that wasn't ripped JY)

Mechanical
rebuilt steering column
Replaced engine with 351w HO
new edelbrock carb
solenoid
ignition module
steering gearbox
radiator
water pump
thermostat
battery and cables
transmission modulator valve
tires
radiator

Some thoughts
Deciding whether to restore this truck or not. Will probable paint this winter myself. I haven't painted a car or truck myself and it seems like a fun project. Once I do that I will probable look at replacing the engine and front end.

Or just drive it till it drops.. Not sure..

Welcome, and it's good that you are saving another one from the crusher.
Her's a link to some of the things that I have done to my truck and it's ongoing restoration; https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...build-log.html

And here's a good read if you're interested; Perfect Paint Job

Oh yeah, and where is Pulaski County TN? We go to my wife's family reunion in Sparta, TN just about every year.