2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Question about deleting

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 03:49 AM
Chris Crews
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question about deleting

How many of you are going to do it or keep the emissions system?

i googled what advantages it does for the truck and the only thing I can find is it doesn't " allow " soot back into the engine, if this is wrong can someone tell me why it's worth paying 3k to do this to your powerstroke?

thanks

Old 10-17-2017, 03:55 AM
USSenator
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Crews

i googled what advantages it does for the truck and the only thing I can find is it doesn't " allow " soot back into the engine, if this is wrong can someone tell me why it's worth paying 3k to do this to your powerstroke?

thanks
I think you pay a lot more than that if you go to sell it. Less buyers, I would not want one that was deleted. I assume there can be a penalty somehow, as it is against the law. Maybe a warranty gets voided.

If you have DOT numbers and delete, probably 2x as bad.

Maybe I am just too paranoid?

Old 10-17-2017, 05:54 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by USSenator
I think you pay a lot more than that if you go to sell it. Less buyers, I would not want one that was deleted. I assume there can be a penalty somehow, as it is against the law. Maybe a warranty gets voided.

If you have DOT numbers and delete, probably 2x as bad.

Maybe I am just too paranoid?
I have to agree!

Old 10-17-2017, 06:06 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pro - No soot recirculating, better mpg since no regen and no sensors to go bad.

Cons - possible inspection issues, violating federal law which was $2,250 fine last I looked (dealers are 10x that), buh bye engine warranty

Old 10-17-2017, 06:20 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
On the resale/trade issue... you reinstall the emissions DPF and EGR when trading or selling. It takes all of an hour or two tops.

The warranty concern is valid though although for me, who doesn't worry about low occurrence events, if I could do it in my state and not have to reinstall every year for inspections, I would have lost weight on day one... The OP is in GA so he doesn't have that to contend with for now...

Old 10-17-2017, 08:08 AM
C_Smitty
Senior User

thanks
If you live in a county in your state that requires emissions testing each year, than the simple answer is no, don't delete.

That being said, after my second or third oil change I will be deleting. If you want to know why, hit me up a PM.

This forum is great for simple cut and dry questions but this is more of an opinionated/debatable question and I don't feel like justifying my opinion to people on the forum.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:45 AM
C_Smitty
Senior User

thanks
Chris you need to clean your inbox. When I reply to your PM, it says I cant due to your inbox being too full...ha

Old 10-17-2017, 11:46 AM
C_Smitty
Senior User
How many of you are going to do it or keep the emissions system?<br /><br />i googled what advantages it does for the truck and the only thing I can find is it doesn't " allow " soot back into the engine, if this is wrong can someone tell me why it's worth paying 3k to do this to your powerstroke?<br /><br />thanks
<br />

Chris you need to clean your inbox. When I reply to your PM, it says I cant due to your inbox being too full...ha

Old 10-18-2017, 06:18 AM
Chris Crews
Elder User
Originally Posted by C_Smitty
<br />

it says it's clear this mobile website is wonky

Old 10-18-2017, 07:45 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would guess that it would also have a potential detrimental affect on any power train warranty claims.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:28 AM
rigman44
Freshman User
i have heard from some that they worry about the Exhaust system failing after warranty is up. I have heard its in the realm of at least $10k to replace. So if we take it off and "save it" to reinstall for resale, we don't wear it out. I get the thought process but not sure its valid. If you void the warranty by removing it and then have an engine failure your going to spend 10k on a new engine, since it would no longer be covered under your broken warranty.

Just my .02$

Old 10-18-2017, 01:23 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,174 Likes on 680 Posts
Right after I get mine deleted I plan on getting her stacked so the smoke from some intermediate fuel oil I plan to burn will have her rolling coal like a '57 Mack!!

Old 10-18-2017, 01:29 PM
CACRanger
Senior User
Originally Posted by Paw's 150 Lariat
Right after I get mine deleted I plan on getting her stacked so the smoke from some intermediate fuel oil I plan to burn will have her rolling coal like a '57 Mack!!

Can't wait to see pics! LOL

Old 10-18-2017, 02:11 PM
C_Smitty
Senior User
it says it's clear this mobile website is wonky

My opinion is also based on keeping the truck for as long asit runs. So if you don't see yourself keeping your truck for say 100k plus miles, then probably don't delete either. Cause if you're going to keep the truck, you're going to either pay now or pay later, cause soot is going to occur regardless.

I paid:

$500 for full exhaust which I will install myself.

$1100 for tuner which there are cheaper ones.

And I'll pay $500 parts/labor to remover the EGR cooler andinstall block off plates.

If you choose not delete, after a 100k plus miles you will have to eventually replace your DPF which will run around $2000 for parts and labor. After that, your EGR cooler will need to be replaced and it will cost around $800 for parts and labor.

Depending on your driving habits and what you use the truck for will depend on when the emissions components will need to be replaced due to being clogged by soot. If you do city driving, towing, and lots of idling, those components will clog sooner thansomeone that only does highway driving. So it will vary on when you spend the $2000-$3000 later.

I am doing it cause first off I want my engine to last as long as it can and it will by the simple fact without the DPF and EGR it will run cooler and cleaner. That's a fact. People report 1-3 mpg increase not because of no more regens, but because there's less restriction with no DPF. Meaning the turbo will run cooler and the motor will be more efficient making more power and more MPG's.

Other selfish reasons is for looks and sound, but also performance. My tuner goes up to 200 HPgains. I only plan on using the 0hp or maybe 30 hp for towing, but I'm looking for better throttle response and real hp and tq in gears 1-3. Right now on stock trucks, you're not getting 440hp and 925tq in gears 1-3. Ford intentionally programs the PCM to reduce the power in gears 1-3. Sorry but I bought my truck to have all 440hp and 925tq.

Will you void your warranty, there's a good possibility. Depending on your dealer and the actual issue. I have removed all the emissions components on most of my sports cars and trucks. Knock on wood, I have never had a motor or powertrain warranty claim. I've owned Fords my whole life. My old man worked for Fords for 35 years, and 10 for me before I made the switch to aerospace and defense. Again, maybe we're just lucky, but we've never had issues.

You do anything to your truck these days you void thewarranty. You put bigger wheels and tires on, you voided the warranty. You put on a suspension lift, you voided the warranty. Those all put extra strain on the powertrain. If Ford wants to stick you with a bill, you just gave them an excuse to.

Unless you live in a tree hugging state like California,I’ve never heard of anyone getting federal fees. Especially if you live in a county or state that doesn't regulate emission's.

These are just my opinions and reasoning's. I know I’m in the minority so take if for what it’s worth...

Old 10-18-2017, 04:06 PM
Chris Crews
Elder User
I have my truck lifted and all. The dealer honors the warranty because they sell lifted trucks I'm just curious as too if I delete will they still honor it like I heard rumor some dealers do.

I plan on on keeping my truck for a very long time I love my truck. I'm just wanting to keep the engine as healthy as possible and running for a long time I assume that the DPF and egr cycle soot back into the engine which is very bad, right?

Quick Reply: Question about deleting