2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Question about deleting

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 04:24 PM
DISLTom
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by C_Smitty

Right now on stock trucks, you're not getting 440hp and 925tq in gears 1-3. Ford intentionally programs the PCM to reduce the power in gears 1-3. Sorry but I bought my truck to have all 440hp and 925tq.
My understanding is the HP is available, but the torque is not (except in the dualies). I'm sure they have a very good reason for limiting the torque.

Let us know how the driveline stands up to all of that additional power.

I won't be modifying my truck because I don't want my pocket book to be on the hook when something screws up.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:40 PM
C_Smitty
Senior User
Originally Posted by Chris Crews
I have my truck lifted and all. The dealer honors the warranty because they sell lifted trucks I'm just curious as too if I delete will they still honor it like I heard rumor some dealers do.

I plan on on keeping my truck for a very long time I love my truck. I'm just wanting to keep the engine as healthy as possible and running for a long time I assume that the DPF and egr cycle soot back into the engine which is very bad, right?

I'm not going to say how bad it is, but you're not going to convince me it's a good thing neither. I believe a clean engine is a long lasting engine. Part of the reason why your diesel engine oil is so black is because of that soot that's being put back into the engine along with a certain amount of blow by.

As far as warranty that's everyone's big scare with these new trucks. Dealers are independently owned so each one will be different in regards to warranty work and what they'll cover.

I'm not trying to say you need to delete your truck because you don't. I'm doing it for the reasons I stated earlier. All my friends and family either drive diesels that are old enough to not have DPF's or drive newer ones and take them out.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:52 PM
C_Smitty
Senior User
Originally Posted by DISLTom
My understanding is the HP is available, but the torque is not (except in the dualies). I'm sure they have a very good reason for limiting the torque.

Let us know how the driveline stands up to all of that additional power.

I won't be modifying my truck because I don't want my pocket book to be on the hook when something screws up.

Ford's been cutting back power on their motors since the mid 2000's even on their F-150's. It's not anything new. If I can find the link to the article I read I'll post it, but the question was asked to a Ford engineer why they reduce the power in the 2017's and he stated it's because they claim truck owners would simply be going through tires allot quicker.

In regards to the my driveline I'll let you know since I already stated I had no plans to add any real serious power to it.

As far as not modifying your truck, that's probably a great way to go for you.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:58 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,185 Likes on 569 Posts
Ford's been cutting back power on their motors since the mid 2000's even on their F-150's. It's not anything new. If I can find the link to the article I read I'll post it, but the question was asked to a Ford engineer why they reduce the power in the 2017's and he stated it's because they claim truck owners would simply be going through tires allot quicker.
I read that before as well. Why else would torque management be more aggressive on SRW trucks than DRW...

Old 10-18-2017, 07:17 PM
swlakingranch
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
$500 for full exhaust which I will install myself.

$1100 for tuner which there are cheaper ones.

And I'll pay $500 parts/labor to remover the EGR cooler andinstall block off plates.

If you can install your own exhaust, you can remove your egr cooler and install block off plates. I did both myself on my 2017 F-250, it was not that bad. Maybe took 2hrs, and that was taking my time.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:33 PM
C_Smitty
Senior User
Originally Posted by swlakingranch
$500 for full exhaust which I will install myself.

$1100 for tuner which there are cheaper ones.

And I'll pay $500 parts/labor to remover the EGR cooler andinstall block off plates.

If you can install your own exhaust, you can remove your egr cooler and install block off plates. I did both myself on my 2017 F-250, it was not that bad. Maybe took 2hrs, and that was taking my time.

My brother in law tells me the same thing. I'm totally on the fence about doing it myself.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:26 AM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Crews
I have my truck lifted and all. The dealer honors the warranty because they sell lifted trucks I'm just curious as too if I delete will they still honor it like I heard rumor some dealers do.

I plan on on keeping my truck for a very long time I love my truck. I'm just wanting to keep the engine as healthy as possible and running for a long time I assume that the DPF and egr cycle soot back into the engine which is very bad, right?
Whoa. Lift and tires is one thing. Dealers can sometimes afford to look past that. Tampering with emission control equipment is straight up illegal for street driven vehicles. Check your state laws. For example, Texas law prohibits any person from selling, offering for sale, leasing, or offering to lease any vehicle not equipped with all emission control systems or devices in good operable condition. Sure, guys do it all the time. BUT - a dealer would be hard pressed to factory warranty an engine that has been deliberately modified to violate EPA laws, as they face significant legal violations and monetary fines.. If you want to do it, by all means go for it. I did it on my '03 6.0 - and after my warranty is completely up I will probably do it on my 6.7. Just don't lean on a dealer to warranty the engine.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:21 PM
SpudzShep
Junior User
My current plan is to let the warranty ride for a few thousand miles. I figure, and I know this isn't full proof, that if a factory defect is going to grenade the engine, it will happen in the first couple months of driving.

Once Spring rolls around, I will probably go forward with a delete of the DPF and EGR. Alaska has no emissions testing to speak of, so that isn't a worry for me. I will probably keep the stock exhaust and do a 0 hp tune for longevity's sake along those lines. And from that point, I'll drive her until the wheels fall off.

if a major powertrain issue crops up after the delete, then that will be on me for rolling the dice. I'll absorb that risk.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:54 PM
SESWIM
Senior User
Originally Posted by nuctrooper
Whoa. Lift and tires is one thing. Dealers can sometimes afford to look past that. Tampering with emission control equipment is straight up illegal for street driven vehicles. Check your state laws. For example, Texas law prohibits any person from selling, offering for sale, leasing, or offering to lease any vehicle not equipped with all emission control systems or devices in good operable condition. Sure, guys do it all the time. BUT - a dealer would be hard pressed to factory warranty an engine that has been deliberately modified to violate EPA laws, as they face significant legal violations and monetary fines.. If you want to do it, by all means go for it. I did it on my '03 6.0 - and after my warranty is completely up I will probably do it on my 6.7. Just don't lean on a dealer to warranty the engine.

No kidding. A dealer warranting a deleted\tuned truck?????? When Hillary tells the truth.

Sam

Old 10-19-2017, 02:12 PM
madsen203
Junior User
I'm not going to say how bad it is, but you're not going to convince me it's a good thing neither. I believe a clean engine is a long lasting engine. Part of the reason why your diesel engine oil is so black is because of that soot that's being put back into the engine along with a certain amount of blow by.

As far as warranty that's everyone's big scare with these new trucks. Dealers are independently owned so each one will be different in regards to warranty work and what they'll cover.

I'm not trying to say you need to delete your truck because you don't. I'm doing it for the reasons I stated earlier. All my friends and family either drive diesels that are old enough to not have DPF's or drive newer ones and take them out.
Your oil is black because of the heat and compression of the diesel. Oil and its additives will naturally turn black when exposed to heat. It's components and additives are necessarily negated because the oil changed colors--they are affected by oxidation.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:21 PM
recce43
Freshman User
my 2012 dually goes in tomorrow for a dpf delete
going to run the bully dog with delete
luck that in alberta Canada it is legal to delete your dpf still .

Old 10-19-2017, 02:28 PM
C_Smitty
Senior User
Originally Posted by madsen203
Your oil is black because of the heat and compression of the diesel. Oil and its additives will naturally turn black when exposed to heat. It's components and additives are necessarily negated because the oil changed colors--they are affected by oxidation.
Your engines "heat cycles" cause your oil to darken. Soot causes your oil to turn black.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:34 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Your dealer' warranty coverage is only good (if they will do repairs on deleted trucks) if Ford doesn't come down to inspect. They will come down for major warranty approvals which means SOL.

My dealer will cover it as well until Ford pays a visit. If a dealer gets caught trying to warranty a repair that is not covered, they get hit with a fine 10x the warranty repair from Ford.

That is the reason many do not want to even mess with it as well as don't make exceptions.

One other thing to consider, your home dealer may be delete friendly but what happens if you are on the road.. a ca.ping trip in another state or across country, hauling something 1,000 miles away. You never know who you will have to deal with.

and lastly, what a dealer says they will cover one day may be different the next. They can change their mind at any time. It is also over a $20,000 fine for any dealer that messes with emissions if they get caught.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:38 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Your engines "heat cycles" cause your oil to darken. Soot causes your oil to turn black.
black means nothing. Dozens and dozens of oil analysis done at 7k with plenty of life and protection left.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:52 PM
C_Smitty
Senior User
Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke
black means nothing. Dozens and dozens of oil analysis done at 7k with plenty of life and protection left.
Very true. You should never base the lubrication qualities of your oil based on the color of it. Not sure where you thought that was in question.