Power Steering Pump and Box??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 11:17 PM
Iowa-Rob
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power Steering Pump and Box??

Hi Guys,

Our F350 is torn apart after an accident so we think its a good time to replace the power steering pump and hoses as its been leaking a little for a while. It also it has a lot of play in the steering box.

What brand do you guys recommend for the PSP and steering box?
I have the 1994 so is it metric or sae?

I have heard talk of the Saginaw pump but not sure what that takes or why its preferred.

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:04 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Redhead for the steering box if you want a top notch one, stock replacement for the pump i would say.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:29 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I did the Saginaw pump and have a redhead. Works really good

Old 10-19-2017, 10:57 PM
Iowa-Rob
Mountain Pass
Where do you buy the redhead steering box from?

Old 10-19-2017, 11:08 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Iowa-Rob
Where do you buy the redhead steering box from?

https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/product/1980-97-ford-f-series-with-2-bolt-top-cover/

they are a bit more expensive but don't make the mistake I did. I went through 3 O'reilly ones before finally biting the bullet and wished I would have got a redhead from the start.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:53 PM
Iowa-Rob
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by jmuenchow
https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/product/1980-97-ford-f-series-with-2-bolt-top-cover/

they are a bit more expensive but don't make the mistake I did. I went through 3 O'reilly ones before finally biting the bullet and wished I would have got a redhead from the start.

Thanks! I appreciate it. I’ll get one ordered.

Anyone have thoughts on Power Steeeing Pump?

Old 10-25-2017, 10:25 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Im interested in the pump swap as well as far as what it takes, and the advantages.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:14 AM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
Im interested in the pump swap as well as far as what it takes, and the advantages.
i has good luck with regular o’reilly replacement pump. I did a hydroboost and Saginaw pump. The two together that thing steers beautifully. I will get you part lists tomorrow when I get a chance. What I can tell you now is if you are hydroboosting and Saginaw swapping you will have to have a hydraulic shop custom make one of the hoses because the fittings are different. You will also need a Saginaw bracket off of a 351 maybe a sbf will work not sure though and the pulley. Ideally a v belt idi van is what you want but I wasn’t that fortunate. GET THE PULLEY I didn’t and I had to use a Chevy dual pulley and am using the groove closest to the radiator. Again I have part numbers and I’ll dig around and find them. But that is most of it. If you’re not hydroboosting you just need to buy the pump and 2 pressure lines and get the bracket and it’ll all bolt up.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:59 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
I wonder if its a bolt in deal for a serp setup

Old 10-28-2017, 08:44 AM
Iowa-Rob
Mountain Pass
So you can buy a Brand new Saginaw Pump off the shelf?
Most the threads looked like guys were taking them out of older vehicles and rebuilding them.
Anyone have a part number for a Saginaw?
I have the Serp set-up also.
And where have you had the best luck? Motocraft? Napa? Oreillys?

Old 10-28-2017, 11:26 AM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jmuenchow
I did the Saginaw pump and have a redhead. Works really good
Do you recall what pressure hose you used? Did you use a Ford van pump or a pump for a GM application?

Old 10-28-2017, 08:56 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
I wonder if its a bolt in deal for a serp setup
As far as I can tell, it's a no go for a serpentine setup I have spent a bunch of time looking, but no answers unless you have v belts.

I did the swap with my '88 and was able to modify the hose myself. I was quite happy with it. Tried figuring it out for my 93 and found nothing that explains how to get a pump to bolt up.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:46 PM
Impreza_gc8
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished ordering the BBB / VISION-OE 7112124 power steering pump and GATES 359720 high pressure hose from RockAuto. Price for both parts was about $77 and I will be getting around $25 back when I send in my old core.
My truck is a 1991. I think the 1994 has a different shape high pressure hose. The one on my 1993 7.3 IDI parts truck (same as 1994) has a longer bend to it but I have not attempted to put it onto my 1991.
I opted not to do any hydroboost or pump conversion, I just wanted a good functioning system that did not leak.
I have had a very hard time figuring out which pumps are standard and which are metric, and I still don't have a good answer. I ordered the pump and high pressure hose in metric. Near as I can tell, the hydroboost trucks used SAE and all the non-hydroboost trucks have metric fittings. I also took my hose and PS cooler line to Home Depot and attempted to match up the fittings and it looks to me like everything is standard except for the hose to pump union, which I could not get anything to fit onto, so I assumed it is metric.
When these parts arrive and I get everything installed I will report back.
One thing I am doing that is different is I will be installing a air-to-liquid type power steering cooler and plumbing it with 6-AN lines instead of using the factory metal cooling loop that attaches to the crossmember. The fitting for the cooler at the steering box is SAE and easily adapted to AN, and I found a aftermarket cooler on eBay for $35. The return line for the cooler to the pump reservoir is just a regular rubber hose and clamp, nothing fancy.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:10 AM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Originally Posted by cadunkle
Do you recall what pressure hose you used? Did you use a Ford van pump or a pump for a GM application?
hey sorry I am just getting back to this I didn’t realize you replied to my comment. I believe I used a pump off a 79 lincoln (continental?) so it was a GM. I also bought the pressure line from a f450 from hydroboost to pump only for the hydroboost fitting. I took the pump and line to a hydraulic shop and they put the right fittings on and made my hose. As far as I can tell there isn’t a hose that will do the hydroboost and Saginaw pump. Thinking back on it it sounds like a major PITA but I love the way the truck steers and stops now.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by Impreza_gc8
One thing I am doing that is different is I will be installing a air-to-liquid type power steering cooler and plumbing it with 6-AN lines instead of using the factory metal cooling loop that attaches to the crossmember.

I thought about doing this on my 86 as well. The factory PS cooler is weeping fluid and my PS hoses are leaking. Such a PITA. Oh well, I guess that is what happens with a 31 year old vehicle.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump and Box??