Troubles with door hinges - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Troubles with door hinges

Old 10-11-2017, 10:22 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Stevaroo01 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Troubles with door hinges

This is not a new topic, and I have read threads/watched videos on the topic...

My driver door had the typical sag of an older F-150. Apparently this had gone on before, as the PO had replaced the hinge pins before. However, he left out one of the bushings so it was not able to be shut from the inside at all and had to be lifted to shut from the outside. Not ideal for the drivers door! So, I bought new hinge pin/bushing kits from Bronco Graveyard to replace them both again and do it right this time.

Got it installed and everything was great! But after using the door a few times it seems like it starts to sag again or something. Iíve tried adjusting the hinges themselves where they bolt to the door, and that will temporarily fix the problem. But then it seems like it sags again with a little use. Sometimes it just wonít latch all the way, sometimes not at all. The bolts for the hinge to the door do not feel like theyíre loosening at all.

So, Iím baffled. What I read/watched indicated this was an easy fix. Replace pins and bushings and go on about your life. But that has not been my experience.

Anyone have thoughts for me on whatís going on? Itís driving me crazy!

TIA!
Old 10-11-2017, 10:42 AM
Elder User

mrollings53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You may have to adjust the striker in the door jamb too. Get the body lines lined up with the hinges, then adjust the striker to get the door to shut flush to the cab.

Try some blue loctite on the hinge bolts to eliminate the possibility of them coming loose, and causing sag.

There is also the option of replacing the hinges.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:47 AM
Freshman User

F-250Flyer is starting off with a positive reputation.
I finished this on my 95 F250 recently. The passenger side door worked perfect after the bushing change with no adjustment needed BUT the drivers door required adjustment of the door striker. I figured it was the PO adjusting the striker to compensate for the sagging door, maybe the same on yours.

When you installed the bushings did they go into the hinge very easily? Maybe the bushings are moving inside worn hinge bushing holes.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:12 AM
Posting Guru

HardScrabble is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ask at the junkyard what hinges will swap from vehicle to vehicle. IIRC there is a swap from the passenger side to driver's side. Passenger side usually doesn't have as much wear. If you can find one with a compatible color you get bonus points for that. Replacement is a pain and a hassle.

Grab strikers with good plastic also.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:30 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrollings53 View Post
You may have to adjust the striker in the door jamb too. Get the body lines lined up with the hinges, then adjust the striker to get the door to shut flush to the cab.

Try some blue loctite on the hinge bolts to eliminate the possibility of them coming loose, and causing sag.

There is also the option of replacing the hinges.
I hadnít thought about adjusting the striker. Iíve observed that when I shut the door, it seems like latching draws the whole door upward a bit. When it latches everything looks like itís aligned properly. If I brought the striker down a bit (assuming this is possible) it would probably cause the door to hand down a bit, but close better.

Iíve thought about replacing the whole hinge, but that seems excessive. Maybe not though?
Old 10-11-2017, 11:33 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-250Flyer View Post
I finished this on my 95 F250 recently. The passenger side door worked perfect after the bushing change with no adjustment needed BUT the drivers door required adjustment of the door striker. I figured it was the PO adjusting the striker to compensate for the sagging door, maybe the same on yours.

When you installed the bushings did they go into the hinge very easily? Maybe the bushings are moving inside worn hinge bushing holes.
I hadnít thought of the PO adjusting the striker. Maybe thatís it?

The bushings didnít just drop in. I had to drive them in a bit. I took that as a good sign that the hinge holes werenít reamed out or worn. However, I have observed that theyíre able to move up slightly with use. I can tap them back down while the pin is still installed. Is that a bad sign?
Old 10-11-2017, 11:34 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardScrabble View Post
Ask at the junkyard what hinges will swap from vehicle to vehicle. IIRC there is a swap from the passenger side to driver's side. Passenger side usually doesn't have as much wear. If you can find one with a compatible color you get bonus points for that. Replacement is a pain and a hassle.

Grab strikers with good plastic also.
I sure hope I donít have to replace the whole hinge! Iíve heard thatís a pita!

The striker is is supposed to have plastic on it? Iíll have to check again, but I donít remember that. Perhaps thatís my problem?
Old 10-11-2017, 12:01 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevaroo01 View Post
I hadnít thought of the PO adjusting the striker. Maybe thatís it?

The bushings didnít just drop in. I had to drive them in a bit. I took that as a good sign that the hinge holes werenít reamed out or worn. However, I have observed that theyíre able to move up slightly with use. I can tap them back down while the pin is still installed. Is that a bad sign?
The bushing riding up out of the holes is a bad sign, they should not move unless being driven out with a drift. Sounds like new or at least a different hinge time...
Old 10-11-2017, 02:01 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Quote:
The bushing riding up out of the holes is a bad sign, they should not move unless being driven out with a drift. Sounds like new or at least a different hinge time...
Bummer! That's not the news I was hoping to hear. But, you're probably correct. Thanks for your help! I'll start looking for hinges.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:48 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevaroo01 View Post
Bummer! That's not the news I was hoping to hear. But, you're probably correct. Thanks for your help! I'll start looking for hinges.
Maybe, the door side only part of the hinge is the one with the bushings. I'll have to check, I'm curious now...
Old 10-11-2017, 11:57 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Maybe, the door side only part of the hinge is the one with the bushings. I'll have to check, I'm curious now...

That's is how it is on the replacement hinge I have waiting to be installed.

To be specific the bushing is sandwiched between the two hinge halves. The bushings are pressed/inserted into the door half from the top and bottom, so that the flange of the bushing is on the outside of the hinge ears. The frame half of the bushing then goes over the flanges sandwiching them between the two hinge halves.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:09 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
That's is how it is on the replacement hinge I have waiting to be installed.

To be specific the bushing is sandwiched between the two hinge halves. The bushings are pressed/inserted into the door half from the top and bottom, so that the flange of the bushing is on the outside of the hinge ears. The frame half of the bushing then goes over the flanges sandwiching them between the two hinge halves.
Thanks, That's what I remembered, but I can't trust the rememberer anymore ... I planned to double check myself in the am
Old 10-12-2017, 11:09 AM
Freshman User

I checked the hinges, the upper hinge the bushings are on the door side, the lower hinge, the bushings are on the body side...
Old 10-12-2017, 12:37 PM
Elder User

I was looking at an upper hinge when I wrote my last statement.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:24 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
I was looking at an upper hinge when I wrote my last statement.
I was thinking upper and lower were the same thing too.