Intelligent 4WD vs AWD? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2011 & Newer Explorer Discuss the all new redesigned Ford Explorer

Intelligent 4WD vs AWD?

Old 10-07-2017, 03:31 AM
Junior User

MadeInDade is starting off with a positive reputation.
Intelligent 4WD vs AWD?

I am currently looking to buy my wife a 2017 Explorer Sport or XLT with the Sport Appearance Package.

I thought in the past few years the Sports were coming standard with the V6 EcoBoost and the AWD. I had that set-up in my previous Taurus SHO and loved the handling with the AWD.

As I started looking at the 2017's, I realized they have what they are calling Intelligent 4WD. Does Intelligent 4WD work on-road like an AWD, or is it for traditional off-road use 4WD?
Old 10-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Elder User

PupnDuck has a good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a good reputation on FTE.
It is a form of AWD although it does not send power to both axles equally under normal driving conditions. The computer monitors wheel slip, steering angle and vehicle yaw and a number of other factors and portions out the power to the axle that needs it. A true AWD system sends power to both axles all the time with a center differential to prevent binding due to speed differences. A true 4WD splits power 50/50 front to real all the time and can't be used on high traction surfaces.
I had a '14 Sport that was amazing in its ability to find traction in the snow. The only downside was that with that much power, the torque steer could scare the heck out of you on dry roads and put you sideways on wet roads if you nailed it at low speeds.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:14 AM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
iirc our 13 sport is basically front wheel drive until more needed

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >